GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Generally like the car (2017 LT with 14k miles) but the gong show warning tones are driving me crazy. Anyone know how to disable or at least lower the volume? Dealer is no help.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Today, cars use the audio system for audio alerts, not a separate speaker.

So you need to isolate the switches that the offending gong is triggered by and bypass it. Resistor, dead-short, disconnect are the possible configurations.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Generally like the car (2017 LT with 14k miles) but the gong show warning tones are driving me crazy. Anyone know how to disable or at least lower the volume? Dealer is no help.
Don't drive with your seat belts unbuckled.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I share your sentiment--they are MUCH louder than the Gen 1. It's completely unnecessary for the car to destroy your hearing IN PARK.

But, like a good pavlov dog, I now race to get my seat belt on before starting the car to spare my ears.

I guess GM trained me well. And I hate it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
So you need to isolate the switches that the offending gong is triggered by and bypass it. Resistor, dead-short,
disconnect are the possible configurations.
So, what makes you think we know what "resistor, dead short" means?

·
Administrator
20,339 Posts

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
So, what makes you think we know what "resistor, dead short" means?
Some 'defeats' require that you match the resistance of the sensor. This is really clever because at the same time, it can tell if the switch is busted and report it through Body Control Module.

Others are simple switches. You either turn them on, or you turn them off. These are noted as Normally Open or Normally Closed.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I haven't found any way to disable the gongs when starting other than fastening the seat bet first. The other noises like the whooshing greeting sound etc. can be turned off by lowering the volume control right away when you get in...this takes a few tries bu mine is now totally silent and I like that except I sometimes don't know when It's on or off LOL

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I always wear my seatbelt but don't like to put it on until after I've backed out of the drive. So that's the first set of sounds. Then if I open the door to get the mail, that's #2. My wife opens her door to get in or out when the car is running - #3, 4. Put my wallet on the passengers seat so it thinks someone is there: #5. Grab a package out of the rear hatch: #6. On and on it goes and most of the warnings are not related to any safety aspect. Seems like there must be a way to just turn it OFF!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts