GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just imagine one awful day shortly after your Voltek warranty has expired: for some reason the Volt's gasoline-powered generator dies. And for whatever reason, you delay having it repaired -- or maybe it can't be fixed at all. Can the Volt still continue to run on the big battery for its normal 35-42 miles? Day after day, assuming you charge it up again each night?

(Sorry about all the technical jargon)

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Just imagine one awful day shortly after your Voltek warranty has expired: for some reason the Volt's gasoline-powered generator dies. And for whatever reason, you delay having it repaired -- or maybe it can't be fixed at all. Can the Volt still continue to run on the big battery for its normal 35-42 miles? Day after day, assuming you charge it up again each night?

(Sorry about all the technical jargon)
The two power sources are inextricably tied. You can't do anything with one unless you have the other working as well.

·
8,680 Posts
Yes. The engine is in no way required for operation within battery range.

However...

For reasons that aren't immediately obvious, first generation Volts lock the car into the propulsion power reduced mode when the engine is broken/out of fuel, with a very adverse throttle map and ~50 kW max power - even though it'd happily do the full 110 kW without the engine doing anything in the same situation if the computer believed the engine was available.

I don't know if second generation cars do the same thing.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Yes. The engine is in no way required for operation within battery range.

However...

For reasons that aren't immediately obvious, first generation Volts lock the car into the propulsion power reduced mode when the engine is broken/out of fuel, with a very adverse throttle map and ~50 kW max power - even though it'd happily do the full 110 kW without the engine doing anything in the same situation if the computer believed the engine was available.
The question was not if the ICE died but the smaller electric motor (part time generator) died. Would it continue to run on the main motor. Good question but given hoe reliable electric motors are, not likely to happen.

·
Registered
790 Posts
The question was not if the ICE died but the smaller electric motor (part time generator) died. Would it continue to run on the main motor. Good question but given hoe reliable electric motors are, not likely to happen.
The question as I understood it is can the Volt run if the ICE is not available. The answer is yes but it may be in PPR mode.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
The question as I understood it is can the Volt run if the ICE is not available. The answer is yes but it may be in PPR mode.
If the ICE was never called upon to be used (always driven in EV mode) how would it know that it wasn't working but I guess that would only work for 6 weeks max when it would have to turn on for a maintenance cycle.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
If the ICE was never called upon to be used (always driven in EV mode) how would it know that it wasn't working but I guess that would only work for 6 weeks max when it would have to turn on for a maintenance cycle.
I don't believe the coupling is that rudimentary. It functions as a system, and everybody knows everybody else's status. I guess it's possible that some part without a sensor could break and technically prevent the ICE from firing, but there probably aren't many.

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
If there was a problem with the ICE or one of the electric motors the diagnostics that run every time you start the Volt would probably throw an error code and a warning light would appear on the driver's information center console display.

·
Registered
622 Posts
The gas engine is only covered under the powertrain warranty. Voltec warranty is electric drive unit, battery and peripheral components. Aux pumps,ECU’s etc.

In theory the electric drive unit will function normally as long as the battery has the capacity to get you around between charging. Kinda like being out of gas I guess. But you won’t really be able to use the full capacity of the battery due to range anxiety. So as long stay under 80% range availability you should be fine or just drive slower to stretch your demand rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm glad everyone is in agreement about this.
... And if I NEVER EVER turn the Volt off (but just plug it in when needed to recharge the battery), then the car won't run the diagnostics routine, and I have nothing to worry about!
PS: Anyone run out of gas in their Volt? What happened then? PPR mode? I'm talking about actual personal experience here...

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I'm glad everyone is in agreement about this.
... And if I NEVER EVER turn the Volt off (but just plug it in when needed to recharge the battery), then the car won't run the diagnostics routine, and I have nothing to worry about!
PS: Anyone run out of gas in their Volt? What happened then? PPR mode? I'm talking about actual personal experience here...
Can't do that... it won't charge if you plug it in when it's already on. You can turn the car on once it's already charging, but plugging in an "on" car will not charge.

People have run out of gas on purpose and accident here... the car seems to allow an emergency battery buffer to be used, so you get another couple electric miles. Not sure if it's in "propulsion power reduced" mode at that time, but I would think so.

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
If you park the Volt and don't turn it off the Volt will power down after 2.5 hours. You can hack this by attaching an elastic strap to the shift lever that holds down the shift lever button. Many have reported using this hack this while camping. Do not leave the Volt running inside a garage as there is a risk of carbon monoxide gas build up when the ICE runs.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Before I say anything - yes what I'm about to say is a bit dumb and this is not an endorsement.

Out of pure curiosity, I've run my Volt "out" of gas several times. I say "out" because it will actually turn the engine off while there is still a tiny bit of fuel left in the tank. (Confirmed by popping the gas tank, taking the cap off, putting it back on and closing it without putting any gas in the tank - the Volt wil fire up the ICE the next time you start it and will run for a minute or so before shutting off again citing a lack of gasoline). One of these times I decided just to leave the tank empty and drive the car. I did so for several weeks and several hundred miles. While it will ding like mad at you when you turn the car on, it will operate (granted in reduced power mode - which at max output is about normal driving style for me, so no impediment) for the full ~40 miles of range. (Got down to 1 mile on the guess-o-meter once with an empty gas tank - first and only time I've had range anxiety in a Volt! ;-)). So, to whatever extent this scenario is akin to your what-if situation, I would say the Volt operates just fine with no operable generate/engine. Granted, nothing was technically broken in my example (no check engine light) so I can't vouch for the same scenario if the MIL was illuminated.

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
Can't do that... it won't charge if you plug it in when it's already on. You can turn the car on once it's already charging, but plugging in an "on" car will not charge.

People have run out of gas on purpose and accident here... the car seems to allow an emergency battery buffer to be used, so you get another couple electric miles. Not sure if it's in "propulsion power reduced" mode at that time, but I would think so.
You can definitely charge the Volt while it is running provided you plug in the Volt after you power it on. It is correct that you cannot start the Volt if it is already plugged in.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
You can definitely charge the Volt while it is running provided you plug in the Volt after you power it on. It is correct that you cannot start the Volt if it is already plugged in.
Both of your statements are false.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
It is correct that you cannot start the Volt if it is already plugged in.
I can argue semantics too!:rolleyes:

You can definitely turn the Gen1 ON if plugged in and actively charging L1/L2 but you then cannot shift out of Park;)

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
And so the real answer is No. The car remains unusable for anything but limping to a repair shop.
I don't know about the Gen 1 Volts, but the Gen 2 will drive like a Prius when the ICE is unavailble. I tested mine a couple of months ago and got about 50% power and acceleration. It will get to speed but don't expect it to get there quickly.

Here's my thread on purposefully running out of gas: https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?324709-Gen-2-Out-of-Gas

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I don't know about the Gen 1 Volts, but the Gen 2 will drive like a Prius when the ICE is unavailble. I tested mine a couple of months ago and got about 50% power and acceleration. It will get to speed but don't expect it to get there quickly.
I guess half a loaf is better than none :D

Sounds kind of like Teen Driving mode. I could actually use to do this sometimes. Maybe I should pull some spark plug wires.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts

Here's my thread on purposefully running out of gas: https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?324709-Gen-2-Out-of-Gas
Weird!

Means GM has gone out of there way to implement Propulsion Reduced immediately after bingo fuel on the Gen2...

At least on the Gen1 you could live life dangerously and not drop into this mode until with only a couple miles left on the battery!:cool:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts