GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting different answers from Chevy and OnStar about this question.

I'd like to know if I can use my iPhone in place of my key fob in a 2017 Volt? I've had 6 support people at OnStar tell me yes, and 1 person say no. I would like to leave my key fob at home and use an app on my phone instead of the fob. The app is far more secure than the fob. And using the app means there's one less thing (the fob) to carry around.

Can someone offer some clarification? THanks

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
You can unlock the car with an Onstar app. You can remote start the car with an Onstar app, but you can't drive it without the actual fob. The fob is required to be inside the car for it to be driven.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I agree - no.

But try this little test. Move your FOB to the other end of your house. Use the App to unlock the car and start it. Get in and see if you can shift it out of park. If you can. Move it out of your driveway and park it at the curb. Turn the car off. Then repeat the steps and pull it into the driveway. I have read some post that the car can be driven once it is started and the FOB is not in the car. I am betting that you will not be able to shift it out of park unless you have the FOB.

Report back here your results.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I agree - no.

But try this little test. Move your FOB to the other end of your house. Use the App to unlock the car and start it. Get in and see if you can shift it out of park. If you can. Move it out of your driveway and park it at the curb. Turn the car off. Then repeat the steps and pull it into the driveway. I have read some post that the car can be driven once it is started and the FOB is not in the car. I am betting that you will not be able to shift it out of park unless you have the FOB.

Report back here your results.
It won't transition from "remote started" to "actually running" without the fob. It should say "Remote not detected" and if you try and shift, it'll just turn off.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all. Guess this means I will have to continue leaving the key fob in the car when I park it. GM really needs to create a key fob app.

Another question. What's the key fob pouch for in the center console? There's a video showing the key fob being inserted into console pouch. But they don't say why. Anyone know?

·
Registered
874 Posts
Thanks all. Guess this means I will have to continue leaving the key fob in the car when I park it. GM really needs to create a key fob app.

Another question. What's the key fob pouch for in the center console? There's a video showing the key fob being inserted into console pouch. But they don't say why. Anyone know?
There isn't a pouch, but there is a fob-shaped indent in the console where you can place the fob if the fob's battery dies. Otherwise the car won't detect it and will refuse to start even with the fob inside the car.

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
There isn't a pouch, but there is a fob-shaped indent in the console where you can place the fob if the fob's battery dies. Otherwise the car won't detect it and will refuse to start even with the fob inside the car.
I believe the instructions state that you have to remove the center console insert liner before placing the key fob with a dead battery in the designated key fob location else the Volt will not be able to detect the key fob. It is very placement dependent.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I believe the instructions state that you have to remove the center console insert liner before placing the key fob with a dead battery in the designated key fob location else the Volt will not be able to detect the key fob. It is very placement dependent.
It depends...technically it should work through the rubber, but it has to be RIGHT on the indent (which can't be seen with the rubber there) since NFC antennas are very short range.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had a weird "cannot find fob" error the other day. I just opened the console and set the fob about where I thought the indent was without removing the rubber. Worked fine. I haven't had the issue since, so there was some sort of glitch I guess. The fob still communicates through radio waves when dead, but has a very short distance. It works like a key fob or card for a building door.

·
Registered
61 Posts
So, you cannot place it in your pocket (or somewhere on your person) and now there is a 2013 Black Volt in the US that can be just driven off by anyone hearing (and knowing what it is) the triple honk? Not a safe/bright idea.

Just my $.02.

//KMac

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
What would happen if you left a keyfob without a battery in the car? The car wouldn't detect it outside of the console. Unlock with phone, dig up fob, put in console and start...
That is what I do when I go on vacation. I leave the extra fob in the car, in an undisclosed location, without a battery in it. Just in case something happens to the main fob.

·
Registered
108 Posts
You could put the Key Fob in an RFID blocking pounch inside the car, if you really really don't want to take it with you. Inside the bag there won't be the triple honk because the car won't know the key fob is there. Then use your phone to lock and unlock the car, and take the key fob out of the pouch to start it. Seems like a lot of effort though, vs just taking the fob with you like they intended. And if your phone is dead or no signal either to the phone or the car you are SOL.

Basically, just take the fob with you.

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
You could also wear an Apple Watch, use the MyChevrolet app on the Apple Watch to lock and unlock the Volt. You need to have an iPhone turned on, within Bluetooth range, to be able to use the Apple Watch MyChevrolet App. You could leave the iPhone in the Volt along with placing the fob (but not the iPhone) in an RFID blocking container. Later, when you want to unlock the Volt, you would use the Apple Watch MyChevrolet app to unlock the door(s.) If the Apple Watch is a version 3 watch with LTE capability then even if your iPhone's battery is depleted you could still call OnStar using the watch as a phone and ask the OnStar representative to unlock your Volt. You would need to give the OnStar representative your OnStar PIN. This approach would work for surfing, other aquatic sports where you don't want to bring the fob with you. The Apple Watch is waterproof so you could wear the watch without concern that it would get wet. Still, this is not as convenient as Ford's door keypad system.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The idea of relying on onstar to unlock the car would have me worried. A lot of things have to work properly. If I was going swimming or something similar I would just prefer to hide the key fob on the outside using a magnetic hide-a-key or similar. Or often you can just stash it under a bumper somewhere.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Just noting that the latest iOS will have a phone key functionality. Does anyone know if this means the iPhone will work with the NFC in the Volt so you don’t need the fob anymore to drive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have an old Watch 3 and iPhone 6s....and the My Chevy Apple iPhone/watch App, I'll try it in a bit!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.