GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I appreciate the efforts by GM to engineer and build what is probably the most sensible solution to build cars for the future.

Is the 161 hp really necessary? I have putted around in compact cars with 120hp or less with no complaints.

I know Americans are power hungry and want fast cars, but could such a vehicle with the volt technical architecture be made so that the on-board generator requirements are less. I would think that a target 80mpg for long range driving would be do-able.

I would think that your potential target market for economonical and environmentally responsible vehicles would include drivers who would not mind a little slower acceleration, and trade that off for improved efficiency.

Also, a mini-suv/crossover type vehicle that allows for some ground clearance on rutted roads when going to the hiking trails would be great. So many of the newer cars just cannot handle getting a little dirty on weekends when they only have a few inches of ground clearance. This would really open the market for such products as the outdoors hiker/biker types should be a prime target market for eco-friendly products. Could be a subaru killer..

Thanks for Reading.

Roger Seattle WA

·
Registered
74 Posts
I would like it to be small enough to be removable. That way, through the week I could drive it without carrying unnecessary weight. Pop it in on the weekend and take the family to the beach.

Maybe a special hoist for home?

·
Registered
240 Posts
I think it has nothing to do about being power hungry or wanting fast cars. The Volt will have nice, mid range performance. I think this first iteration of the Volt was really targeted to the bulk consumer, those who do not want the "electric car" mantle to mean "we had to give up something". If you ask the general public, what their mental image of an electric car is, they would say, "small, ugly, slow". I think GM pointedly created the Volt to dispel all of those images. The Volt is not ugly, cramped, or slow.

I would bet, that in the VERY near future, GM will start iterating the Volt into different niches. Maybe one with more range, lower speed; maybe even one with shorter electric range, but more speed. Maybe one with no range extender at all. I think also that at the beginning, to get the public to change their paradigm about cars, they need this car to really have mass appeal and be an image breaker. The Volt in this configuration does this.

It will certainly have issues to address and smooth out as time passes. But GM is worlds in front of where anyone else is with this type of implementation. I am really looking forward to what it will come out in the next ten years. This is exciting times.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I thought it was range limited and recharge time for top 2 issues.

What would a less capable electric motor accomplish. You could save maybe 10-20 pounds, but motors are not like ICE's. Less power does not mean more efficient, actually it can mean less efficient. Actually, one of the things I think GM might have chosen wiser would be a larger motor. If they designed the E-Flex drive train around a larger motor, they could easily tweak it down for lesser performing vehicles and save some $ on periferal components (power electronics, etc); however, it could also easily be tweaked up for higher performing or larger vehicles.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Agreed. A larger electric motor may be in Volt generation 2.

GM is in the driver's seat right now with this technology, and it can't get here fast enough. My wife paid over $4 for the first time yesterday. I almost had a heart attack.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Vrrroooooommmm

I want people to see my Volt and say "WOW what a sweet car! Its so quiet, and fun to drive".

Not "hmmm little slow but it gets good mileage".

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hey Mr Incognito...thats a "neeto" name by the way.

Great picture, sweet looking little powerhouse, but...how do you know all that? I thought that the ICE had not been determined yet and that flex fuel was a "possibility" only.

Please do tell...

·
Registered
368 Posts
Guy Incognito, how do you do what you do?

Hey Mr Incognito...thats a "neeto" name by the way.
Great picture, sweet looking little powerhouse, but...how do you know all that? I thought that the ICE had not been determined yet and that flex fuel was a "possibility" only.
Please do tell...
Well, to be honest, I just simply searched for an engine that most closely resembled the engine in the detailed pictures of the Volt.
http://www.autobloggreen.com/photos/chevy-volt-concept-1/121568/

Sure enough, it turned out to be that little 3 banger, at least as far as I can tell. The only difference being that the engine in the Volt's detailed picture lacked an alternator, which mechanically is a fairly simple modification of belt and pulley arrangement.
http://media.gm-powertrain.at/powertrain-media/media/images/200308200001_01.jpg

I even found the chief engineer of the team that designed it.
http://www.evworld.com/article.cfm?storyid=1161

But to be honest, I really can't say for sure that this will in fact be the Volt's ICE; in spite of the fact that this is the motor in the Volt's detailed pics. In the absence of any definite info from GM, this seems the most logical choice.

On a different note, I'm glad you like my handlle 'Guy Incognito', its from the Simpsons. My avatar is the "ALTER EGO" from an obscure card/board game called Wiz-War. We did'nt create the game, but my friends and I have the #1 Wiz-War fan site. Please visit and check out our site, I'm Guy Incognito on there as well.
www.wizwar.com

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would like it to be small enough to be removable. That way, through the week I could drive it without carrying unnecessary weight. Pop it in on the weekend and take the family to the beach.

Maybe a special hoist for home?

That would not be practical in the very least.
Not by any means. At all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts