GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Premium
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a DIY project, but asking you these questions before the electrician arrives in two days.
We're having a level 1 dedicated outlet installed, but can I have some of the 240v future done during this visit?
Panel is inside the house.
Can't charge the car in the garage - The car will be on the driveway.
Panel is less than 10' from desired outdoor outlet location.
Can the electrician 'punch through' the exterior wall near the panel and do a short (8'-9') conduit run to the outdoor outlet?
Can the electrician run my 20amp 110v outlet on 10' of 8awg / 3 so that in the future I can have him come back and swap out the breaker and outlet for the 240v setup I'm going to eventually want?
Thanks.
(MS Paint top view)

·
Administrator
21,036 Posts
By punch through you mean drill a hole? Yes, they do that sort of thing all the time. The conduit may be thin-wall galvanized steel conduit or waterproof flexible armoured cable that would terminate at a waterproof junction box. A 240V EVSE can be wired to the junction box.

Reactions: axle69

·
Registered
2015 Premium
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. I did mean drill a hole. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,689 Posts
Have you considered putting the new outlet in the garage to protect the EVSE from weather and theft? As now planned, you will have to either plug and unplug the EVSE every time you charge (not good for receptacle and plug), or leave the EVSE hanging outside where it can be easily stolen.

·
Registered
2015 Premium
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you considered putting the new outlet in the garage to protect the EVSE from weather and theft? As now planned, you will have to either plug and unplug the EVSE every time you charge (not good for receptacle and plug), or leave the EVSE hanging outside where it can be easily stolen.
Thank you. That was my original plan but repeatedly closing the garage door on the cord was met with disapproval. Having it stolen is very unlikely here - not saying it couldn't happen, so in order to 'keep a kid out of trouble' it will be padlocked to the wall and covered with a somewhat secure box. It will stay plugged in except when we take it traveling.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
826 Posts
Yes. Electricians do this every day. As we've told you on the other thread, just have them do the 240 now.

·
Registered
2015 Premium
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you.
Since I'm going to save a ton of money with the shorter copper run, am I just being stupid to not buy a level 2 charger and just get it over with?
Is there a lot of difference between the $300 chargers vs the $600 ones?
Flipside... Since my power company is going to sell me kwh for .06 after 9pm, why should I care if the battery fills up at 1am or 5am. Overnight is overnight, no?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Thank you. That was my original plan but repeatedly closing the garage door on the cord was met with disapproval. Having it stolen is very unlikely here -
I have closed the garage door down on my Duosida cord for 3 years now. Doesn’t hurt it a bit. My Volt is parked in the driveway in front of the garage door and the 240v outlet and EVSE mounted on the garage wall. The rubber weatherstrip on the door is in good shape, but if I had any qualms I would put the cable in a cord protector from the office supply store.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Thank you.
Since I'm going to save a ton of money with the shorter copper run, am I just being stupid to not buy a level 2 charger and just get it over with?
Is there a lot of difference between the $300 chargers vs the $600 ones?
Flipside... Since my power company is going to sell me kwh for .06 after 9pm, why should I care if the battery fills up at 1am or 5am. Overnight is overnight, no?
For the little extra I would urge you to just have a 240 outlet installed now, not just for the Volt, but a future EV. You can get a dual voltage 110-240 charger (eg, Dousida) cheap if yours already can’t do both with a plug end adapter. There are numerous threads on all of this. The extra flexibility to fully charge the Volt in 4 hours is really great on weekends, when family is home during the day, etc. Has really enabled our Volts to be pure EVs except when on road trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
As long as the electrical codes in your area allow it there is no reason that can't be done.

Reactions: Looseparts

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Thank you. That was my original plan but repeatedly closing the garage door on the cord was met with disapproval. Having it stolen is very unlikely here - not saying it couldn't happen, so in order to 'keep a kid out of trouble' it will be padlocked to the wall and covered with a somewhat secure box. It will stay plugged in except when we take it traveling.
You can avoid the issue of repeated closings by carving out a small notch at ground level for the EVSE cord to ride through. The put a coil holder and EVSE latch on the outside. There are a lot of J1772 holsters but I recommend the one from Clipper Creek (SAE J1772 Connector Holster Wall Mounted | ClipperCreek). You can use a el-cheapo garden hose hanging coiler to keep the cord off the ground.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Can the electrician run my 20amp 110v outlet on 10' of 8awg / 3 so that in the future I can have him come back and swap out the breaker and outlet for the 240v setup I'm going to eventually want?
A few problems. The 8awg wire doesn't match up to the outlets you would be putting in now, the bigger wire is expensive, and it may not suit the needs of a future car. (The specs and demands are constantly changing.)

The best way to handle future-proofing is to have your electrician run an oversize conduit that will take a thick wire (I would go way over 8awg). That way, you can simply pull the new wire through when you need it and are putting in a matched outlet or device.

·
Administrator
21,036 Posts
Have them install 6 gauge wire. The labor cost will be the same.

If the EVSE will be hardwired, the wires needed will be Hot, Hot, Ground. If the EVSE will be a plug in to the junction box, the wires will be Hot, Hot, Neutral, Ground.

The breaker size (20A, 30A, 40A, 50A) will depend on the EVSE you end up using. Even if the car you have now only needs say, 20A, having the curcuit capable of being easily upgraded to higher current in the future by using a different breaker, different EVSE will make that easier than having to replace the wire too.

·
Registered
2015 Premium
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A few problems. The 8awg wire doesn't match up to the outlets you would be putting in now, the bigger wire is expensive, and it may not suit the needs of a future car. (The specs and demands are constantly changing.)

The best way to handle future-proofing is to have your electrician run an oversize conduit that will take a thick wire (I would go way over 8awg). That way, you can simply pull the new wire through when you need it and are putting in a matched outlet or device.
Thank you wssix99, this seems the most reasonable - But no matter, I'll run all this by the electrician in a couple days and follow his recommendation. If we can't connect the 20amp 120v outlet to the 8 or 6awg wire, then I'll do that wire size later when I'm ready to do the jump.
Overnight charging, avoiding the ICE is going to be 90 or 95% of our use. We'll either have 15 mile days or occasionally we'll do travel of 100+ miles.
For me, 9pm to 1am is going to be the same as 9pm to 7am - I love new stuff, but I really can't see spending ~$1000 on level 2 until I have an EV (several or many years from now.)
Thanks to everyone for their time and suggestions.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
826 Posts
I also use an L2 Duosida. I actually have two of them. Cost less than $200, and work perfectly. And, surprise, they do L1 120 or L2 240v. I have one in the car with a 5-15 on it, and the other one with a 6-20 to use on 240 in the garage.

·
Registered
2015 Premium
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I also use an L2 Duosida. I actually have two of them. Cost less than $200, and work perfectly. And, surprise, they do L1 120 or L2 240v. I have one in the car with a 5-15 on it, and the other one with a 6-20 to use on 240 in the garage.
Okay! You got my attention !!
What amperage breaker? What outlet? Will I need to make any upgrades next year (or two) if I get a Bolt or Hyundai EV?
Here's their website - please recommend a Level 2 for me.
Thanks for taking the time to help me.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Okay! You got my attention !!
What amperage breaker? What outlet? Will I need to make any upgrades next year (or two) if I get a Bolt or Hyundai EV?
Here's their website - please recommend a Level 2 for me.
Thanks for taking the time to help me.
For my Volt, I have a 20 amp 240V circuit using 10 guage 4 strand (white/black/red/green) wire. It goes from the breaker to the single outlet where my Duosida is mounted to the wall. The picture I posted is my Volt's factory EVSE, which is mounted to the wall and plugged into a 110v outlet using the same gauge and strand wire (from the same spool of wire). My sprinkler system controller is hardwired into this circuit and there is a standard single gang two receptacle 20 amp outlet on the circuit. My my EVSEs are snaked under the garage door at the edge where they don't get compressed or even touched by the door itself.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
We use the same 16 amp Duosidas. I got mine for only about $150 each a few years ago. They can do either 110 or 240. The evse that comes with the car may also be dual voltage though drawing around 14.5 amps, to be used on 240 with a plug end adapter, depends on the model. There are a number of threads on that. We had 40 amp 14-50 220 outlets put in, via 8 gauge wire I believe, way overkill for Volt, which only draws a little less than 16 amps, but in case someday we wanted to use a 30-32 amp charger for a different EV. Since your breaker box is nearby should not be much more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
All good advise here. The best is oversize the conduit so you can easily run whatever you need later, later.

I too am in the EVSE inside and run the cord outside camp. I have a small piece of PVC pipe, cut in half long ways (half a circle) that fits over the cord so it takes all the contact from the garage door seal. Keeps everything nice and tidy.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Interesting how the average garage owner has no room to park in it. My Volt is never left outside. The garage is partially earth sheltered and temperature maintained between 50 in winter and about 65 in summer. I’m in the camp that babying the battery thermally will make it last longer. So my 2011 with 171,000 on the odometer still gets up to 35 miles EV range in the summer. Maybe hypothetical......maybe not.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts