GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm in SoCal and already ordered my Gen2 '16. I'm eager, impatient and looking forward to my gen2 however If there is a exceptional deal to good to pass up on a '15 please post it here!

·
Registered
985 Posts
I can't help you with your request,
but if you are "being inpatient" and it gets the better of you, you buy a 2015 now, and when the GEN2 comes out with all the improvements over the GEN1, you will read through the great reviews here...you will likely will want to trade in your 2015 and take a huge loss.
You will be kicking yourself for not waiting. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I got a fully loaded red 2015 with all options except safety 2. 900 down after state rebate and 154/month including tax for 12k miles. I also had a 2016 on order, but this was too good to pass up. I'll get a 2017 instead, a bit down the road...

Don't know if it's the best deal out there, but I'm pretty darn happy with it. Especially since I've been paying over twice that for a lease on my 2012.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Old new stock can definitely save you $10K or more over a new 2016 with very similar numbers. Unless you *must have* the additional 3-4 kWh of usable energy, the savings is pretty enormous if you are working a budget or stretching to buy new 2016 at sticker price over a 2014 or 2015 at huge discounts. If you found a new untitled 2013, you could probably get it for $24k or less before tax credits and other stuff.

·
Registered
417 Posts
After all incentives and tax credits are accounted for (which, means $0 from our state of Ohio), my new 2014 bought in January cost me about $18,500. Heated leather package, Crystal Red.

A 2016 equipped similarly after tax break is probably going to run around $8000 more than that, depending on your state.

From a financial standpoint, there is no comparison. Even if you "need" that extra range, you'll never burn enough gas to offset the money difference.

Of course cars are an emotional purchase, for some people they'd rather have the new 2016 even if it does cost more.

You have to ask yourself if you think Gen 2 looks a lot better to you than Gen 1, and what you think of the new options and specs. Only you can decide. Personally, I think Gen 1 looks great and would rather have an extra $8000-10000 in my pocket.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got a 2015 volt with premium package, safety 1 and 2, Nav and bose for 233 included tax with $0 due at signing and 12K/year. I am getting the $1500 rebate check as well.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm in a similar quandary. There are wonderful deals on the leftover 2015s - a few dealers are advertising $9k off MSRP (and not on just one or two models). Couple that with $1k GM Card, $1k GM Card Bonus (2015s only), and $1k Private Offer (not on the 2016 anytime soon), and without even trying I can get $12k off MSRP. A little haggling and maybe $12.5-$13k. That takes a $40k loaded Gen-1 Volt down to $27k-$27.5k (and much lower still after $7500 Fed and $1500 CA credits/rebates). Tax and tag in CA is almost exactly 10%, and that applies to a lower basis than a similarly loaded 2016 for $40k (though not all the way down - rebates and cash back are still taxed unfortunately). Anyway, the total difference for me would be closer to $14k, and that makes it almost a no-brainer. Add in the HOV tags I'm sure I can get with a 2015 now, versus 'maybe' with a 2016 in 3-4 months, and that's another plus for the Gen-1. On the other hand, the 2016 has amazing specs, and, in my opinion, has a much better solution (performance- and efficiency-wise) when running on gas than the Gen-1 (where one electric motor stops 'helping' and becomes the generator keeping the batteries charged). Based on info released yesterday about the early 2017 introduction and roll-out, I've decided on the 2015 for now, and a 2017 for spring/summer (when the wife and kiddies get the 2015 for local commuting and the gas-guzzling minivan stays parked except for long family trips). Hopefully the 2017 models will have a few little tweaks and additional bells and whistles. Fingers crossed for a sunroof option:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got a 2015 volt with premium package, safety 1 and 2, Nav and bose for 233 included tax with $0 due at signing and 12K/year. I am getting the $1500 rebate check as well.
Do you mind sharing the dealer info? Also was it 0 due at signing or 0 drive off?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm in a similar quandary. There are wonderful deals on the leftover 2015s - a few dealers are advertising $9k off MSRP (and not on just one or two models). Couple that with $1k GM Card, $1k GM Card Bonus (2015s only), and $1k Private Offer (not on the 2016 anytime soon), and without even trying I can get $12k off MSRP. A little haggling and maybe $12.5-$13k. That takes a $40k loaded Gen-1 Volt down to $27k-$27.5k (and much lower still after $7500 Fed and $1500 CA credits/rebates). Tax and tag in CA is almost exactly 10%, and that applies to a lower basis than a similarly loaded 2016 for $40k (though not all the way down - rebates and cash back are still taxed unfortunately). Anyway, the total difference for me would be closer to $14k, and that makes it almost a no-brainer. Add in the HOV tags I'm sure I can get with a 2015 now, versus 'maybe' with a 2016 in 3-4 months, and that's another plus for the Gen-1. On the other hand, the 2016 has amazing specs, and, in my opinion, has a much better solution (performance- and efficiency-wise) when running on gas than the Gen-1 (where one electric motor stops 'helping' and becomes the generator keeping the batteries charged). Based on info released yesterday about the early 2017 introduction and roll-out, I've decided on the 2015 for now, and a 2017 for spring/summer (when the wife and kiddies get the 2015 for local commuting and the gas-guzzling minivan stays parked except for long family trips). Hopefully the 2017 models will have a few little tweaks and additional bells and whistles. Fingers crossed for a sunroof option
It's posts like this that give unrealistic expectations. Are private offers even being issued this month? I have seen one dealer offer 9000 off and wheb queried they had sold it but wanted me to come on down.

What dealers are you getting these markdowns from? The only thing I'm getting are "agressive lease deals."

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you any dealer invoice offering more than $10,000 in total saving, can you please share it. So, we can also use it to get those rebates from dealers who can match competing offers.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have been trying for the PO since the start of the month with absolutely ZERO success:( Actually, on September 1st I got one relatively quickly at the cars.com site, but it expired on August 31st - the day before it was issued! I emailed Chevy about it, and they actually sent a note back 3 days later to contact them directly with phone number, address, etc. so that their pre-sales Marketing Support Department could look into it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a valid, non-expired private offer, but don't really expect one. I suspect that POs may appear once again after some of the current Labor Day-related incentives expire in a few days, but have nothing to base that upon other than past hits on POs occurring with more regularity after mid-month.

I checked one of the websites that advertised the $9k off (located in Fremont), and 3 days ago they had about a dozen models with that discount. As of a few minutes ago, only one remained. The big dealer on Capitol Expressway has a bunch listed with $4500ish dealer discount plus GM customer incentives ($1500 for CA and OR residents, $1000 customer cash without 0% 72-mo special financing, $2500 Volt-to-Volt, and perhaps $2000 on some older VINs in the 120k-130K range). Many of these incentives go away if you take the 0% financing (which I was originally planning to do), but I've had a change of heart on that and I'm taking the cash - I can pay the car off in 6 months so the interest charge will be a LOT less than the customer cash lost if you take the financing.

As for the least deals - I'm not interested at all. I love cars - buying them and keeping them for a long time. I have too many, but I have kiddies that one day will be driving,and some of my very well maintained and fully paid for cars will be perfect for them. My youngest wants the Vette (yellow C5 convertible) in 8 or 9 years - we'll see about that. The Gen-1 Volt, however, would be perfect in 5 or 6 years for the oldest kid's first car. If I lease, the Volt's gone in three years. But you're right in general - subsidized leases are great deals right now for folks that prefer going that route.

Anyway, good luck with your purchase. I just finished a home refi and am now actively looking for a fully loaded 2015. Maybe there will be Volt-to-Volt loyalty discounts next year on 2016 or 2017 Gen-2s? Probably not...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts