GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ELI5 = explain like I'm 5 (years old)... internet-speak for not using a ton of detailed technical explanations

I've tried reading about various Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) systems but there seems to be a wide variety. I just want to understand the Volt's system better. Based on observed behaviour (like hearing subtle noises from the car as I approach, even from 10 feet away), it seems to me the fob is putting out an active signal all the time, which sounds odd because surely that would kill the fob battery quickly, no? Or is the car sending out an active signal all the time that bounces off the fob (RFID-style) when I approach... but I thought that only worked over very short distances. Anyone know the real story of how this system works?

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
The vehicle is sending out the signal constantly at a low rate. The fob detects the signal if it is close enough and responds to the vehicle, then a security interchange happens before the vehicle acknowledges the fob and unlocks the doors. The fob detection range is less than fifty feet.

"With the smart key system, a vehicle can be unlocked without the driver needing to physically push a button on the key fob to lock or unlock the car and is also able to start or stop the ignition without physically having to insert the key and turning the ignition. Instead, the vehicle senses that the key (located in a pocket, purse, etc.) is approaching the vehicle."

Read more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_keyless_system

Personally I dislike this passive system that the Volt and many other vehicle have, because it is easier to detect and copy, and most stolen vehicles have this system. The active system requires the fob owner to press a buttom and transmit its code. The vehicle responds and unocks the door. This is more difficult to detect and copy.

Finally, my vehicles have a physical metal key to unlock the door if the fob is missing or its battery is too weak (no need to call AAA or a dealer).

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
...my vehicles have a physical metal key to unlock the door if the fob is missing or its battery is too weak (no need to call AAA or a dealer).
Volt does have a physical key. OnStar can unlock as well. App or call.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts