GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Volt Premier. The paddle will slow the car down to one or two mph, but you must use the brake to bring the car to a complete stop. The new Chevy Bolt’s paddle on the other hand is capable of bringing the car to a complete stop. Does anyone know if the updated 2019 Volt is capable of bringing the car to a complete stop like the Bolt?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Same with all Gen 2s I believe. The 16 and 18 do the same. Would also be interested to hear from a 19 owner as I thought regen was changed to be more like the Bolt.

·
Registered
2 Posts
As a owner of a 2019, I can verify you need to hit the brake pedal to stop the car completely; the paddles will not do it all

·
Registered
518 Posts
As a owner of a 2019, I can verify you need to hit the brake pedal to stop the car completely; the paddles will not do it all
I will confirm, as a prior owner of a 2017 and current owner of a 2019, that deceleration with the paddle is significantly more aggressive in the '19 and that the car will /almost/ come to a stop but not completely. ACC will stop the car completely and hold it there but I'm not comfortable with the relatively hard braking that the car does when approaching a stopped vehicle- it works but I would rather slow down more gradually when approaching a stopped vehicle. Of course, it's great to know that if I don't notice that stopped car, ACC will do it for me (in most cases).

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
I will confirm, as a prior owner of a 2017 and current owner of a 2019, that deceleration with the paddle is significantly more aggressive in the '19 and that the car will /almost/ come to a stop but not completely. ACC will stop the car completely and hold it there but I'm not comfortable with the relatively hard braking that the car does when approaching a stopped vehicle- it works but I would rather slow down more gradually when approaching a stopped vehicle. Of course, it's great to know that if I don't notice that stopped car, ACC will do it for me (in most cases).
Your Volt's ACC does not have the ability to detect stopped vehicles. If the vehicle directly ahead is stopped at a traffic signal and you approach the stopped vehicle from behind you must manually brake the Volt. To the ACC radar control a stopped vehicle is no different than a mailbox, rock or highway barrier. There is a small green vehicle icon that will illuminate to confirm that the ACC has locked on to a moving vehicle. If you are waiting for the Volt's forward automatic braking system to activate, that system is only designed to lessen the impact of an impending collision not guaranteed to avoid a collision. ACC is a good system but it has its limitations. Please drive safely.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Helpful information. I read GM used the programming of the Bolt EV for the 2019 Volt. In my test drive of the Bolt, I did prefer its more aggressive paddle and LOW programming. I'll probably need to go compare this in person, but I'm also wondering what changes were made to LOW. I actually preferred the Gen 1 LOW (thought it was smoother) and am wondering if they made improvements in the 2019. Too bad it will be such a limited run.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all for the answer to my question. My dream Volt would have a progressively stronger regen paddle that would bring the car to a complete stop. Perhaps GM will include this feature in a future BEV.

I can confirm that when my 2017 Volt in on ACC, some system in the Volt senses a stopped car ahead and stops the Volt. It will remain stopped until I press the accelerator and will then resume ACC at the same set speed. The stop is a little hard so I avoid using this feature, and I would never rely on it.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Thanks to all for the answer to my question. My dream Volt would have a progressively stronger regen paddle that would bring the car to a complete stop. Perhaps GM will include this feature in a future BEV.

Unless your legs don't work, I don't really see much point to it working that way. I think the paddle is rather redundant. To hold the car stopped with the paddle, I think would actually consume energy rather than recover it. Simpler to just use the brake pedal.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Recently upgraded from a 2017 Premier to a 2019 Premier. As others have stated the regen on the 2019 is more aggressive than on the 2017. In L, the 2019 is pretty much one pedal driving as it will slow down to 1 MPH. The 2017 slowed down to 2 MPH. Not a lot different but you will defiantly feel the more aggressive regen.

·
Administrator
20,188 Posts
My dream Volt would have a progressively stronger regen paddle that would bring the car to a complete stop. Perhaps GM will include this feature in a future BEV..
The future was 2017. My 2017 Bolt comes to a complete stop with the regen paddle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts