GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know this has been covered prior. I detached the 12v battery and closed the back hatch. How do i open the hatch without the 12 v battery

·
Administrator
20,655 Posts
I have never done this. Just a guess: you need 12v in the system to start the car. Perhaps a 12v lantern battery connected to the under hood jumper terminals, or a booster battery plugged into one the 12 outlets in the car. Once the car is on, open the hatch.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Alternatively (and in case your 12V is dead for instance) you can fold your seats rear down and access the small plastic plug on the rear hatch (on the inside)
Pop it off and insert a blade screwdriver into the hole and turn COUNTER-clockwise to release the hatch
I believe there are some photos supporting this in the FAQs
HTH
WOT

·
Administrator
20,655 Posts
Alternatively (and in case your 12V is dead for instance) you can fold your seats rear down and access the small plastic plug on the rear hatch (on the inside)
Pop it off and insert a blade screwdriver into the hole and turn clockwise to release the hatch
HTH
WOT
Learned something new today! :)

Rear Hatch.jpg Hatch lock.jpg

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I have never done this. Just a guess: you need 12v in the system to start the car. Perhaps a 12v lantern battery connected to the under hood jumper terminals, or a booster battery plugged into one the 12 outlets in the car. Once the car is on, open the hatch.
Wow, will that really work? I thought the 12v accessory outlets were isolated from the accessory battery when the car was shut off. Cool, if possible!

I just bought one of those Stanley SSLION battery boosters and assumed I'd have to use a battery clip adapter along with the underhood battery posts if I ever got into a similar situation.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts

·
Administrator
20,655 Posts
Wow, will that really work? I thought the 12v accessory outlets were isolated from the accessory battery when the car was shut off. Cool, if possible!

I just bought one of those Stanley SSLION battery boosters and assumed I'd have to use a battery clip adapter along with the underhood battery posts if I ever got into a similar situation.
I have not tried this, but I know it has been discussed in the "my Volt's 12V battery is dead, what do I do" threads. The under hood jump is discussed in the owners manual, while plugging into a 12V outlet inside the car is not. The Volt's 12V battery does not need to crank a starter, so it does not need to be a big, powerful one like in a traditional ICE car. I'm not sure anyone has tried using either a 12V battery lantern under the hood, or the battery booster via the 12V outlets. It would be nice to have hard confirmation that either will work.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Pop it off and insert a blade screwdriver into the hole and turn clockwise to release the hatch
HTH
WOT
Thanks, did not know.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
open rear hatch manually: 2013 Volt

When I spent two nights in the back of my Volt on a camping trip, I really wanted to open the rear hatch from the inside. This thread offers some pointers, but isn't quite specific enough. Inserting a flat-blade screwdriver did not work for me.

Looking into the little hole, I see there is a square socket. Here's the picture provided by Steverino above:

That square hole is 5/16". It would require pretty large screwdriver blade, about 3/8" wide, to do the job.

Not having such a wide blade in my tools, I tried several other things: 1/4-drive socket and 3/8 drive do not work. Then I found an old square-head finish-nail punch, with the head about 5/16". It works!

So here is my homemade setup to open the rear hatch manually. Not so elegant, but it does work.

Hints to get the tool inserted: The hole points downward about 45 degrees, so the tool needs to point upward by that amount. The hole's sides are horizontal/vertical (not slanted), so with a square tool, one needs to align it to get it into the socket.

·
Administrator
20,655 Posts
I like your McGyver solution SteveC!

When I took the picture I had a variety of screw driver sizes available and finding one with a blade that fit diagonally in the square hole was not an issue. It never occurred to me that others may not have the same screw driver options.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I have tried it with a small flat screwdriver, too, and was able to open it (but not with ease, however).

By the way, WOT said to turn clockwise, but I found that in my case, turning COUNTER clockwise would release the hatch.

At any rate, what you can do with a smaller blade screwdriver is to stick it in the upper right corner of the square hole, outside of the hole, then try to push the blade up and left, in a counterclockwise direction. That provides the same rotational force effect, and it works for me, but only as a test not while under load (hatch is not closed for real, I just manually closed the latch to simulate the hatch being closed). If the hatch is closed for real, it may require more force to turn and my trick with the small blade may not work as easily.

My solution is to keep a big enough flat blade handy instead just to be sure it works.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I have tried it with a small flat screwdriver, too, and was able to open it (but not with ease, however).

... but only as a test not while under load (hatch is not closed for real, I just manually closed the latch to simulate the hatch being closed). If the hatch is closed for real, it may require more force to turn and my trick with the small blade may not work as easily.

My solution is to keep a big enough flat blade handy instead just to be sure it works.
Keep the big blade handy. I tried using a piece of square plastic I had in my toolbox. It worked great with the hatch open, but with it closed.... I had to crawl over the back seat and open the door to get out of the car!!! :eek: It takes way more force to open the latch when the door is actually closed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts