GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched through all of the HVAC problems but didn't find this one, so I figured I'd start a thread. The other day I was driving my Volt while explaining climate the controls to a passenger. I had the AC set to Comfort, and was saying how that used more energy and to use less, you can set the Volt to ECO mode. I pushed the button and while I was pushing it, it turned green, but as soon as I let off, it went back to blue. The climate setting stayed in Comfort mode. So I tried Fan Only, and that worked. I tried ECO mode again, no luck. Basically I could only toggle between Comfort and Fan Only. It was 80 degrees out & sunny. I don't recall what my other settings were and have not been able to repeat the problem ... yet. Wish I would have made a video.

Anwho, if anyone else has experienced this, let me know.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Yes, it has many bugs. One of them was, that the - fan speed was greyed out and disabled. The other one was when none of the Climate buttons were pressable.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've experienced this when I use the Onstar Remote Start, to fix it I had to shut down the car and open the driver door, then when I restarted the car it was fine.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Funny, I searched a little while ago and saw no posts about this. I got called away from the computer and created a new post when I got back about this. Then I saw your post. What I did was to wait until the first stoplight that I came to and while stopped, turned the car off and back on. I then could go into Eco mode.

·
Registered
118 Posts
When in doubt reboot :D

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, that was the first thing I tried when I got home. Turned the car off, back on, test... and it worked.

just a glitch? or is something going on we just don't know about.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I had the same experience last weekend. As we drove off we noticed the clock had frozen at the time we started the car and none of the climate controls worked, either on the screen or the console. I shut off the car and restarted -- no luck. After we parked it and left it for a couple of hours everything was back to normal. Definitely a bug somewhere.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
I've had that happen once. Wasn't sure enough about the circumstances to replicate it though. In my case, it got locked in ECO Mode, and I couldn't get out and/or adjust the fan speed.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Yes, that was the first thing I tried when I got home. Turned the car off, back on, test... and it worked.

just a glitch? or is something going on we just don't know about.
Yes, I think it's a glitch. One time (and only one time) I experienced the same type of situation with one of the four buttons that control the AC/Heat direction/port (?).

·
Registered
202 Posts
I had this issue and was perplexed. I tried turning on and off the center console, that did not work. A message came up saying that "Climate Control was unavailable". Got lucky in traffic, it was a stand still so I decided to try turning off the car and re-booting, "Climate Control is Available" came up and everything was fine. Weird, never happened again

3,605 Posts
Afternoon Everyone,

I apologize if you have experienced not being able to switch back to ECO mode. If you feel this is still a problem please contact the Volt Advisors or your Servicing Dealership.

Thank you,

-Ian Chevrolet Volt Customer Service

·
Registered
595 Posts
it's happened to me a few times (climate control unresponsive, can't toggle ECO/Comfort/Fan Only or fan speed), maybe 3 or 4 times since I got my 2013 Volt last October (7 months). I found that it 'recovered' if I "browsed away" to a different page, like the energy usage page, and then back to the climate control again.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
it's happened to me a few times (climate control unresponsive, can't toggle ECO/Comfort/Fan Only or fan speed), maybe 3 or 4 times since I got my 2013 Volt last October (7 months). I found that it 'recovered' if I "browsed away" to a different page, like the energy usage page, and then back to the climate control again.
Mine is a MY 2012, but even if I navigated away from the climate control window, when I navigated back, the window was still unresponsive. Of course, that's only happened once, and I was never able to replicate it. I had to shut down the Volt entirely, and when I restarted, I was then able to adjust my climate control settings.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I seem to have run into this bug on my MY2014 volt today. At the beginning of the drive, it was mild, so I had the car in fan-only, instead of ECO mode, but as the outdoor temperature approached 70 degrees, I couldn't switch the A/C to ECO-mode. Comfort mode worked, and fan-only wokred. I plugged in when I got home, and on hour later, we went on our next errand. By then, it was warm enough that AC was a requirement and no longer an option, but once again, only comfort-mode worked, not ECO-mode. So I turned the fan down a bit, and let the car stay in comfort mode. The trip back home was the same, only comfort-mode works, and not the higher efficiency ECO mode. I tried turning the fan to zero, and going back and forth into fan-only mode, and auto-mode. Nothing worked except comfort-mode. How do I reset the AC back to normal?

·
Registered
675 Posts
I seem to have run into this bug on my MY2014 volt today. At the beginning of the drive, it was mild, so I had the car in fan-only, instead of ECO mode, but as the outdoor temperature approached 70 degrees, I couldn't switch the A/C to ECO-mode. Comfort mode worked, and fan-only wokred. I plugged in when I got home, and on hour later, we went on our next errand. By then, it was warm enough that AC was a requirement and no longer an option, but once again, only comfort-mode worked, not ECO-mode. So I turned the fan down a bit, and let the car stay in comfort mode. The trip back home was the same, only comfort-mode works, and not the higher efficiency ECO mode. I tried turning the fan to zero, and going back and forth into fan-only mode, and auto-mode. Nothing worked except comfort-mode. How do I reset the AC back to normal?
After an overnight charge, everything is back to normal with ECO working fine. It was a foggy cool morning, so ECO with thermostat set to 71 degrees seemed ideal. I like that ECO in mild weather is 17%-20% overhead instead of comfort which is 30% or more overhead. Plus, I like the quieter fan setting on ECO. I have no idea what triggered the "won't go into ECO" bug, or why it didn't reset when I parked at home, or at the restaurant, or why it reset back to normal after an overnight charge. Searching the forums, it seems like it has happened a few isolated times here and there, with the bug usually going away after a reboot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts