GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I found a Honda charger (it's made by Panasonic) at a local swap meet. It was $20, so I bought it. I figure it might be broken, but I can use the parts for when my stock, plastic Chevy charger wears out.

The Honda charger has a much nicer nozzle. More metal parts.

But how can I test this thing? I don't want to plug it into my Volt to test it.

Any suggestions? I have a volt meter and am not afraid to poke around. I think there is an interlock switch or something I have to trigger in order to measure the voltages, right? Also, I think there are contacts or something that have to engage before electricity flows into the car?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
As Jay said, if the plug is the same it'll work just fine (assuming of course the Honda unit isn't broken)

Reactions: Wayne Y

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
I use the EVSE that came with my wife's Clarity PHEV in my Volt whenever I travel. You do have to tell your Volt to charge at 12 amps though as the Honda EVSEs don't handle 8 amps very well.

Reactions: Wayne Y

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all -- yes, the connector / nozzle is the same - I will give it a try when I need to change next. This stay at home stuff is extending my time between charges . . .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally had to charge my Volt this morning. And YES - the $20 Honda charger works fine. As mentioned, the Honda unit has a better quality nozzle and cables. More metal parts, heavier gauge wire. Nice price.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
794 Posts
Good score! Glad it works. Always nice to have a spare.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts