GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The headlights (when set on automatic) in my 2017 Volt LT don't go on when it's overcast or slightly raining. They only go on when it starts to get dark. Is there a way to adjust the sensor so the headlights go on in slightly brighter light than they do now?

(I know I can manually turn the headlights on, but I am asking about the automatic setting.)

Thanks.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Put a piece of tape over the sensor to partially cover it? Then Volt thinks it's darker than it is, and lights will turn on sooner?

Funny, seems most gen1 owners (myself included), think the lights come on too early (and the screens dim while the sun is still shining). I've tried putting reflective paper around the sensor to collect More light, but didn't seem to work.

And now this is at least the 2nd post I've seen about gen2 being the opposite.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
On the Gen II Volt anytime the windshield wipers are turned on, in any wiper mode, the Volt automatically turns on the headlights.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
My sister put a plush toy on the sensor in her Silverado to make the lights turn on all the time.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would think that the disadvantage to doing something with the sensor is that the dash lighting would dim when you'd probably prefer it to remain at daytime brightness. Manually turning on the headlights will not cause this problem.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Interesting, I haven't encountered that myself.

Yeah, not sure that's true. Seems like they do NOT come on when the wipers are set to the slowest intermittent setting and it is bright out.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Sometimes I'm amazed how some people go to great lengths to continue using the automatic system instead of going manual once in a while. My wife will get up and stand in front of the TV with the remote (with low batteries probably) trying to change the channel. I try to tell her that there are channel buttons on top of the TV and one press works just like the channel button on the remote. She just smiles and keeps pressing the button on the remote...

·
Registered
362 Posts
It seems the lights do come on automatically when the wipers are on, but it takes a while to do so. It seems like it takes a lot longer when on the slowest intermittent setting versus the next one up. Also, the car seems smart enough to NOT dim the dash lights when it turns the headlight on, which is awesome!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Absolutely it is. In fact, depending on the weather, it is illegal to not have your headlights on. I've had days with very thick fog and the headlights were not on.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I mean auto headlights are great and it would be nice if they can read minds...but at the end of the day, just flip the switch if you need it right now. Are we all so dependent on auto everything?
Yes, that is what I do. I was just making the point that the DRL's are not enough for foggy/rainy days like srmarti was asking.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Yeah, not sure that's true. Seems like they do NOT come on when the wipers are set to the slowest intermittent setting and it is bright out.
In my Gen I it's based off of the number of wiper swipes. So on the lowest setting, it takes a while. On high, they come on quickly.

I have the opposite complaint in my Gen I. No, they don't come on when it's overcast, but I don't need them to. But they stay on in the morning until I get direct sunlight. Which means I have to adjust my screen brightness every morning, and then back down at night.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Original poster here. The headlights do come on when the wipers are on, but it takes a while depending on the speed of the wipers. (I never knew this before.)

I had asked about increasing the sensitivity of the sensor because I was trying to avoid turning on the lights manually. I've gotten so used to the automatic lights since getting my first Volt in 2013 that I know I will forget to turn the lights off when I park. Sure enough, that's exactly what happened yesterday -- but, to my surprise, the Volt beeps out an alarm if the lights are on when you turn off the car. It took me a while to figure out what the alarm was all about, but it's a great feature. Now I won't be hesitant to manually turn on the lights when I want them.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Yes, that is what I do. I was just making the point that the DRL's are not enough for foggy/rainy days like srmarti was asking.
That, and they do not turn on the tail lights.

·
Registered
675 Posts
On the Gen II Volt anytime the windshield wipers are turned on, in any wiper mode, the Volt automatically turns on the headlights.
In my Gen I it's based off of the number of wiper swipes. So on the lowest setting, it takes a while. On high, they come on quickly.
In the Gen II the headlights come on after the 8th swipe.

Then they will stay on until the wipers are turned off.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I agree with the OP. The threshold at which the light-sensor trips the headlights on requires a fairly low light level, well beyond where I would have manually turned the lights on. I have owned several makes with this feature, and the Gen II Volt is by far the least responsive. So the question remains: is there any provision to adjust the threshold via a service mode setting? (I'm pretty sure there isn't a consumer selectable menu setting).

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I've gotten so used to the automatic lights since getting my first Volt in 2013 that I know I will forget to turn the lights off when I park. Sure enough, that's exactly what happened yesterday -- but, to my surprise, the Volt beeps out an alarm if the lights are on when you turn off the car. It took me a while to figure out what the alarm was all about, but it's a great feature. Now I won't be hesitant to manually turn on the lights when I want them.
And if you completely forget about the lights, the car will turn them off after 10 minutes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts