GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UPDATE:

D'oh. It just occurred to me. Given the wheel I'm using below, the holes are off center. I brain farted and assumed I'd be mounting the wheel through a center hole, hence concerns about clearance below with the right-wall of the cargo area. Since there are off-center holes (either the ones for the lug nuts or the smaller ones where an M8 bolt can fit through), I can just bolt down the wheel using those holes which are easily 2" off center, making the full-size spare fit no problem in theory. Will update this post when I get the spare installed.

Thank you if you decided to hold off pointing out the obvious. ;-) Took me a while to figure this out.

ORIGINAL POST:

I have gone through the various spare tires thread as best I can but haven't found a definitive answer. I want to use a full-size spare as driving with a donut spare on the freeway is too stressful.

I have measured the radius of my Volt's stock wheels+tires as they're installed on the Volt and the radius is about 13". I then measured the mounting hole in the cargo area where the donut spare would typically mount (after you cut a small hole in the cargo deck liner for the carriage bolt to go through). The mount hole is 14" behind the rear seat and 12.5" from the right cargo wall.

A full-size spare just might mount there. A half inch of travel might be possible with the long carriage bolt but I'm hoping someone here can confirm. Has anyone successfully mounted a full-sized spare to the mounting bolt used for the compact donut spare? Or am I forced to use ratchet straps to keep it secured?

FYI, I plan on purchasing the following for a full-sized spare: wheel and tire.

Diameter of the above tire is spec'd as 25.3" so it should even easier to fit (25.3" / 2 = 12.65") the 12.5" distance-to-right-cargo-wall.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It fits!

Break in the hot weather allowed for the install (finally). See attached pics. Only drove a few miles with the spare stowed but didn't notice any reduction in range when travelling a route previously traveled by my Volt.

Attachments

·
Registered
520 Posts
. . . or maybe this was all just a ruse so you could show off that flashy pink wheel. ;)

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
good2go.... -_-

I actually was prepared for at least some sneers or comments from others; was prepared to use it as excuse to sell the Volt-life. Surprisingly, I was a little bummed when no one made a single peep. I even roll down my windows so I could hear the softest of snickers. Also, was listening for any rattle with the aftermarket rim.

Honestly, the pink-blue combo isn't that bad. Reminds me of tweekers' cars. Pink-white combo ain't that bad either.

I'm just no tweeker, I'm frugal. Pink rim = 1/2 price.

·
Administrator
20,326 Posts

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
I kinda like the pink. Decreases the "steal me" factor a lot too.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I kinda like the pink. Decreases the "steal me" factor a lot too.
I'm not so sure. As mentioned in the previous post, a can of spray paint can change pink to something else quite cheaply.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
I actually was prepared for at least some sneers or comments from others.....
Everyone has their own style. I don't have to like it but I have to respect the courage it takes to put on a set of wheels that screams color, even if it's pink. My wife likes pink, but I think she'd object to me doing that to her daily driver.

You can always dip the wheels a different color......

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Break in the hot weather allowed for the install (finally). See attached pics. Only drove a few miles with the spare stowed but didn't notice any reduction in range when travelling a route previously traveled by my Volt.
Because someone asked, figured it'd benefit everyone to share my parts list:

I found the parts from my local McLendon's (small chain, somewhat specialty home improvement chain, like Ace Hardware). For $9 I got:

1 x 1 foot M8 1.25 Threaded rod (note the "1.25", that is important)
1 x M8 1.25 through hole knob
4 x m8 1.25 nylon lock nuts
5 x nylon spacers

My original photos above were with the uncut rod. I later cut it down to 9" (see attached) to free up some room so now with the knob holding the spare down, only 1/2" of rod sticks up above the knob. Make sure to thread the knob onto the rod before cutting with a hacksaw, that way you can use the knob to repair the thread damage from the hacksaw. I then added the locknuts (per others designs from this forum) and the nylon spacers to avoid possible scratching of the wheel in case the spare slid around (hasn't yet).

If you can't source the parts locally, the harder to find parts are the M8 1.25 rod and through-hole knob (couldn't find any at Home Depot or Lowes, just repair knobs for lawn mower handles). You can find them on Amazon for a higher price.

Attachments

·
Registered
520 Posts
^^ Good info. Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts