GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2014 Volt with just under 15k miles on it. Hooray!

Can anyone recommend a Chevy/Volt dealer for service in the greater DC/Baltimore/Northern Virginia area?

I have heard that some dealers are much more responsive to Volt owners needs than others and I was hoping I could benefit from other owners previous experiences. I'd like to find a dealer that has service techs that are knowledgeable about the Volt and it's specific needs when it comes to service.

I'd also like to find a dealer that will stand behind this vehicle and truly cares about it's customers satisfaction and not just making another sale or selling a service contract. If this vehicle turns out to be anywhere near as reliable for me as others have reported, I'll most likely replace it when it's time with a Gen 2 (or 3) model and the dealer that provides me with a high level of service and satisfaction will be the one that gets my business on the next go round.

Thanks to any advice you can give me.

Chris

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
I've taken my Volt to Win Kelly in Clarksville, MD....they have always taken care of me well. They also stock and move a fair amount of Volts and Spark EVs too. I spoke to one of the Volt techs there (there are 2) recently, and he said he was really looking forward to the Bolt. Also said they really don't get that many Volts in for service, mainly because there isn't much that needs to be done on a Volt.

I also just leased a Spark EV from them. They still play some of the old dealer games (just come on in and we'll take care of you!), but they did manage to hit the price point I was asking for over email. Seemed like they didn't want to commit to a price over email (so I couldn't then forward that to other dealerships perhaps?).

·
Registered
75 Posts
I bought my Volt at Win Kelly and have had it back there a few times. Actually had mine there last Thursday due to CEL and a P0300 Random Misfire error code. The car would randomly misfire, the engine shake violently and the CEL blink. Turn the car off and it would then operate like normal in ICE mode. Seem like it would only do it once or twice initially when the ICE would come on and then be fine after it warmed up. I don't think they even popped the hood as they called me back pretty quickly and said they were searching their database and said it sounds like bad gas and they wanted to drop the gas tank and check it out. But they couldn't do it that day and suggested I take the car back, buy some STP Gas Treatment and fill the tank back up with 93 octane from Exxon or some other reputable gas stations and not Costco Gas like I usually use. I have 88,000 miles on the car and out of warranty so I sure hope their solution does work. So, it seems to me, if it were bad gas, wouldn't it operate badly all the time? So since I was dead empty on gas (used 8.5 gallons), I have done what they said after paying them $150 diagnostic fee, added some STP gas treatment and filled it up and am in the process of testing. So far it did the violent shaking once which I am hopeful was the bad gas already in the gas line. I so hope all is good with it now. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MPG33095,

Greetings from a fellow Frederick Volt owner! :D Thanks for your post about Winn Kelly. Their Yelp reviews certainly don't seem to be very good, especially concerning their service department.

While at this point I'm not going to rule them out for servicing my Volt, I'd need to hear more positive experiences before I'd be convinced that their dealership was the place to go.

Living in the area we do, we have many options when it comes to Chevy dealers for service. I don't mind driving a bit when I trust and respect the service department and know I'll get top notch service.

I know there are many others on the message board in the area,

Where does everyone go for service? And would you recommend them to a friend or family member?

·
Registered
103 Posts
We take our Volt to Jim McKay Chevy in Fairfax (no dealers in Washington DC). They are great, very responsive, polite, and they always find a way to provide a loaner (NOT a rental) if the car needs to stay at the shop. Wish they'd wash and charge it, but we've been happy with the service there.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I go to Jerry's in Parkville Md. and they have gone above and beyond for me. They replaced my 110 EVSE at 55,000 miles for free under their customer satisfaction program.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Oh hi Crowtoo! My apologies. I didn't notice that you were from Frederick also. I live in Springridge so maybe I will see you on the roads of Frederick sometime. What color is your Volt?

Overall and despite my most recent issue, I have been pleased with Win Kelly. I believe Criswell Chevrolet in Gaithersburg is the largest Volt dealer around so I don't know for sure but I would imagine they may have a good service department. I have stayed away from Fitzgerald Chevrolet in Frederick because they don't usually sell that many and I haven't been impressed with them when I was looking for a Volt.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought my Volt at Chriswell Chevy and started servicing it there. Because of convenience I took it once to Auto Nation Chevy in Laurel. And been there ever since. I really like the Volt Service Adviser. He has been treating me like I own a Rolls.
Thanks, KUD!

Reports like THIS one is exactly what I'm looking for! :D:cool:

Anyone else in the DC/Baltimore/Northern Virginia area have a glowing review for their Chevy dealer and the service department?

Chris

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I've been very pleased with Pohanka Chevrolet in Chantilly, VA. I've been going there for 4 years now with no issues.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I use Criswell in Gaithersburg. One and only place I go. Emma Cook is the dedicated service advisor. The tech that works on the cars (whose name I can not remember) is excellent. he diagnosed a complex problem I had about a year ago (very detailed in this forum) re: the car would stop charging for no apparent reason.

I give him all the credit for actually taking the time to figure it out and fixing it correctly.

Best experience: every thing

Worse experience: they put a Criswell Chevy license plate bracket on car without asking. I find it quite funny and will collect them over time to see how often they do.

p.s. Bought the vehicle as a certified used unit at Bergey's Chevrolet in Colmar, PA so I took a crap shoot with Criswell on service and have been happy.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I use Criswell in Gaithersburg. One and only place I go. Emma Cook is the dedicated service advisor. The tech that works on the cars (whose name I can not remember) is excellent. he diagnosed a complex problem I had about a year ago (very detailed in this forum) re: the car would stop charging for no apparent reason.

I give him all the credit for actually taking the time to figure it out and fixing it correctly.

Best experience: every thing

Worse experience: they put a Criswell Chevy license plate bracket on car without asking. I find it quite funny and will collect them over time to see how often they do.

p.s. Bought the vehicle as a certified used unit at Bergey's Chevrolet in Colmar, PA so I took a crap shoot with Criswell on service and have been happy.
cooperthebeagle,

Thanks so much for your post!

My wife has had her Honda Pilot serviced by Criswell ever since she purchased it in 2006 and we have been very happy with their service over the years. For some services they have actually even been cheaper than a local mechanic we used to use occasionally. When it was time to replace her timing belt I was quite shocked to find out that Criswell was the cheapest quote we received.

It's very good to hear that they have a dedicated service advisor for Volts and a well qualified tech because one of my concerns is that I've heard that there are some dealers out there that seem like they don't want to mess with Volts because they are so different than a regular vehicle.

After reading your report, I think I'm going to give them a chance to earn my loyalty. They are also near my wife's work so that also makes it one of the more convenient places for me to get service done. I just purchased my Volt less than a week ago and I already know that I want to get the side mirror kit to reduce buffeting installed so that will be a good opportunity to get introduced to their service department.

I absolutely LOVE this car already and want to keep it in tip top shape for as long as I am lucky enough to own it. Having a dealer you can trust for service goes a long way towards that goal.

Thanks again!

Chris

1 - 13 of 13 Posts