GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have lights on dashboard: stabilitrak, engine and abs. Error codes per onstar are P25A2, C0500, C0501. Are These issues I need to have addressed by a dealer or, okayo to take it down to my local mechanic? Car drives normal. Onstar says should be addressed within seven days.

·
Registered
368 Posts
First thing suggested with multiple error codes are 12V battery condition, weak charge or failing 12V will set multiple random codes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First thing suggested with multiple error codes are 12V battery condition, weak charge or failing 12V will set multiple random codes.
That's very helpful. Thank you! So possibly would be worth investing in a new battery and see if that works? Guessing that's a low investment compared to paying the dealer $200 bucks just to give me his determination. (Unrelated, I think, but my emergency parking brake came on the dashboard today as well - the P with the monkey wrench under it. It went away.)

·
Registered
79 Posts
A competent mechanic should be able to service anything on these cars, though I'm sure many will not want to touch the hybrid drive or battery due to not having the necessary training and tools. But the ABS, traction control, and many engine issues are no different than any non-hybrid car. For example, your P0500 and P0501 point to a problem with the LF wheel speed sensor. Maybe a bad sensor, maybe a wiring issue. Same as any vehicle on the road. The P25A2 just seems to indicate the brake controller is requesting the MIL, so there's a good chance the speed sensor will resolve that. If my car had these codes I would not throw a battery at it first thing. These seem very specific and not random.

Of course YMMV and the usual caveats--the last thing you want is someone who doesn't know what they're doing that thinks they know how to fix things and make it worse. Or someone who throws parts at the car based on a code definition.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I agree with mhamilton, I did not look up the codes so I was unaware they were basically related. But in general, if you are getting RANDOM codes, 12V is a good first check.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks; the tires are worn, so I think what I'll do is take it to my local non-dealer mechanic who is honest and reliable. Perhaps this will be checked, diagnosed, addressed and resolved when the mechanic replaces the tires.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It appears that the P25A2 code I’m getting might be related to an ABS brake module. This is the best guess from a local non-dealer mechanic/body shop who scanned. anyone have experience or insights on next steps to address this in as cost effective but responsible a way as possible?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't get work done at a place that guesses. Take it to the dealer.
I have seen other posts where this issue comes up and seems frustrating to diagnose and resolve even with dealer's input on the matter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts