GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in reading the forms I see the gen 2 volt charger can be used with 120/240 however can the last rendition of the gen 1 2013 volt charger?

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Yes, with a modification. That one is made by Clipper Creek and the case should be secured with screws. It needs to be opened up and a wire or 2 needs to be moved and soldered. The Lear units with the 4 LED’s are glued shut and need no modifications to run on 240.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome! I just managed to find the video after 45 min trying to search youtube due to the several versions on L1 chargers. Seems simple enough! Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Bear in mind that the modified EVSE will have not be able to provide the 16 amps that the on-board charger is capable of handling. The modified EVSE will provide a maximum of 12 amps. Still, it is much faster than charging at 120Volts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I can confirm the mod works, however, I wouldn't recommend doing it unless you're familiar with how household AC power works and have previous soldering experience.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also have this version of the charger for my volt 2013. I can not find information about what electronic components are meant to be soldered instead of the factory ones. I have 240V but 50Hz

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also have this version of the charger for my volt 2013. I can not find information about what electronic components are meant to be soldered instead of the factory ones. I have 240V but 50Hz
Is it a United States charger? If it was initially sold in Europe it may be configured differently internally.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Watch this:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts