GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More and more frequently now I am finding that the image from the backup camera on my 2013 Volt is upside down. It may self correct the next time or two, but the issue keeps reoccurring. Has anyone had this issue and can offer a solution? Taking it to the dealer when it may not display that way when I get there is a waste of time.

·
4,852 Posts
If it's happening at all you should still take it to the dealer. While they may not be able to replicate, show them a picture of when it's happening. They'll likely be able to determine what can cause that behavior regardless of replication, and correct it for you via parts, cable checks, etc. as needed.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issue but I'm laughing because it's such a silly failure on the software side. With a camera the image is reversed -- the top of the image is the bottom of the sensor and vice versa. The software should flip the image but obviously that isn't happening.

Unfortunately does seem you'll need to take it to the dealer, especially since this an issue with the software suggests something has gone wrong and this may not be the only problem you end off having. So not a big deal but you probably want to get it addressed.

·
Registered
878 Posts
GM may have erroneously installed a "Holden" backup camera in your Volt. They have to invert the picture down-under for it to look "right side up":) You may also sometimes get a mirror image because the Holden version is set up for right-hand-drivers seats:):)

·
Registered
918 Posts
Hvacman's reply wins the gold. Fulgerite wins the silver. Paul wins the bronze.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Hvacman's reply wins the gold. Fulgerite wins the silver. Paul wins the bronze.
Thanks, but I held back on asking about inverting the image through the bottom of a beverage bottle.. which might have deserved a bronze... only because there some simple failures in the camera electronics that could cause this and make it inconsistent.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
On a serious note... Many of the compact camera modules do have an "invert" function built in to permit mounting the camera upside down. Most likely it is a faulty CAMERA that is inverting the image vs the display electronics. I would bet that if your dealer replaced the camera the problem will not return.

3,600 Posts
More and more frequently now I am finding that the image from the backup camera on my 2013 Volt is upside down. It may self correct the next time or two, but the issue keeps reoccurring. Has anyone had this issue and can offer a solution? Taking it to the dealer when it may not display that way when I get there is a waste of time.
Afternoon 1RiverMan1,

I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing this concern. I see that you're in Canada and would advise to contact your Volt Ambassador. They can be reached at 800-263-3777.

Thank you,

~Ashley Chevrolet EV Customer Service

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
:rolleyes: Your GPS chip is damaged, confusing the car into thinking you are down under once in a while, thereby causing the image to go upside down. Obviously, the GPS issue is intermittent because the image does show right side up once in a while. Have your dealer replace your GPS chip! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Fulgerite take would be the first to look into as you may be able to get the new camera part (unless your volt already has it)

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Fulgerite take would be the first to look into as you may be able to get the new camera part (unless your volt already has it)
I was just saying that the camera has an invert function built in so it's the most likely component to flip the image upside down. It's not a matter of being a new or old camera... Just a matter of a component failure that might be able to cause an inverted image. It is all conjecture until you TEST it. But I would suspect the camera before monitor. Most LCD monitors do not have an invert function like the camera does.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts