GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
I'm thinking about installing a camera from a 2014 chevy camaro. The connectors look the same and the camera looks to be close in size/shape.

Has anyone tried something like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-15-Chevy-Camaro-Rear-View-Back-Up-Camera-Safety-Parking-GM-OEM-NEW-22872078-/191442172037?fits=Year:2015|Make:Chevrolet&hash=item2c92d7b885&vxp=mtr
HOLY CRAP! Don't pay that!! I can, and just did last week, get the camera for the Volt for $70-/+ from ebay "Motown-partsman" and it will plug right into the harness. I just tried a Malibu camera to test it, I plugged it into my Volt. He may not have one listed, so email him via ebay asking to put one up 'buy-it now' for you at a price you both agree to. He has Volt cams if you want the angled mount Volt camera. Please note: You will have to take the rear bumper face, lower sections under the car apart to install the camera..it's not a joy.
Note: I don't know if your head unit will just 'accept' the camera and add the feature - may want to verify that...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HOLY CRAP! Don't pay that!! I can, and just did last week, get the camera for the Volt for $70-/+ from ebay "Motown-partsman" and it will plug right into the harness. I just tried a Malibu camera to test it, I plugged it into my Volt. He may not have one listed, so email him via ebay asking to put one up 'buy-it now' for you at a price you both agree to. He has Volt cams if you want the angled mount Volt camera. Please note: You will have to take the rear bumper face, lower sections under the car apart to install the camera..it's not a joy.
Note: I don't know if your head unit will just 'accept' the camera and add the feature - may want to verify that...
My 2012 volt already has a camera. I don't want another like it. I'm looking to get a higher resolution/higher quality camera and preferably one that will plug in and work like stock (but better).

·
Registered
974 Posts
send him an ebay message, he has all kinds of GM oem cameras.. in several years - the 15 malibu camera I got last week should be better than the 12 Volt

·
Registered
918 Posts
IMG_20150501_085403.jpg

I don't know about Camaro's camera, but the Z28 steering wheel appears to be drop-in equivalent...

·
Registered
706 Posts
it looks like the Volt camera part number is 22883286

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it looks like the Volt camera part number is 22883286
The guy on ebay that I talked to sent me this: "I've got 2014 Volt cameras. GM# 22923842. I know that this number replaces GM# 20860481. I have no idea if it's high-def though"

Where did you get your part number at? It seems like there are many!

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
#22883286 is shown as being the rear camera for Volts from 2011 thru 2016.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
The guy on ebay that I talked to sent me this: "I've got 2014 Volt cameras. GM# 22923842. I know that this number replaces GM# 20860481. I have no idea if it's high-def though"

Where did you get your part number at? It seems like there are many!
#22883286 replaces that number.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Wow that sure does look exactly the same. I have a cloth interior, so a leather wrapped wheel would be a nice upgrade! Hmmm
Off topic:
thirtyfiftyone, I took that photo at a Chevrolet dealer while I was pricing out a 2015 Volt.

According to the sales guy, Chevy is keeping a real close tab on Z/28 Track car's sales and repair. He said every part replaced needs to be documented by the factory. Considering it's a limited run, I guess he might be telling the truth.

As nice as that steering wheel looked and felt in my hands (wheel cover was suede or sueded microfiber), that part may not be easy to source...

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Off topic:
thirtyfiftyone, I took that photo at a Chevrolet dealer while I was pricing out a 2015 Volt.

According to the sales guy, Chevy is keeping a real close tab on Z/28 Track car's sales and repair. He said every part replaced needs to be documented by the factory. Considering it's a limited run, I guess he might be telling the truth.

As nice as that steering wheel looked and felt in my hands (wheel cover was suede or sueded microfiber), that part may not be easy to source...

STEERING/STEERING WHEEL & TRIM for 2015 Chevrolet Camaro

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Any parts that would identify the car as a Z/28 can only be ordered by VIN and proof of ownership of that VIN. Anything else should be ok.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts