GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
It's that time again when the California "Clean Vehicle Rebate Project" (CVRP) runs out of money to fund the rebate to Californians who buy EVs.

The funds ran out as of 6-29-17. I bought my Volt on 7-2-17. What exquisite timing, eh?

There's about $8,000,000 left to fund rebates for low income EV buyers. "Low income" means 300% of the Federal poverty level, or $36,180 for an individual, $48,720 for a couple. That rebate is $3000 for a Volt.

The standard rebate for "moderate income" people ($150,000 for an individual, $300,000 for a couple) of $1500 is on hold. People who make more than the "moderate income" limit don't get any rebate anyway. If you apply now, you'll be put on a waiting list awaiting renewed funding from the State.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I agree to this change. Low income people are those who deserve the rebate, not those who want a $50,000 or greater EV. The $7,500 federal tax rebate should apply to them, too. Most of these rebates will probably go to used Volts and Leafs.

Sorry, Tesla fans!

·
Registered
284 Posts
I agree to this change. Low income people are those who deserve the rebate, not those who want a $50,000 or greater EV. The $7,500 federal tax rebate should apply to them, too. Most of these rebates will probably go to used Volts and Leafs.

Sorry, Tesla fans!
Low income people aren't buying vehicles that qualify for the rebate.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts

Sorry, Tesla fans!
No. The results are based on the choices people make, not on their incomes.

Even if someone would make their choice without the rebate doesn't make them any less deserving and in fact you could argue that they're more deserving.

Also, since people on higher incomes drive more on average, at the individual level, their choice of vehicle is liable to have a larger impact.

I would argue that it's better to have the _funding_ of the incentives be based on income.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Low income people aren't buying vehicles that qualify for the rebate.
That's why there is still money left in the Lower Income Fund. Nobody is applying for it.

If you are living paycheck to paycheck, you are not currently shopping for electric cars. Not yet. Give it 5 year though.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The rebate applies only to new vehicles.

I agree with indexing the rebate to income. $1500 isn't going to make any impact on someone's decision to buy a $100,000 car. Where they draw the lines on income and how much the rebate is are pretty arbitrary, not perfect, but I can agree to the principle.

I don't agree that any amount of money should be specifically earmarked for "low-income" rebates. If low-income people still aren't buying the cars--probably having more to do with the availability of chargers (you pretty much need to own a home) than with the rebate--then that money should go to the "moderate-income" buyers.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I believe I read where there is a push to increase the amount of the subsidy. Just to wildly speculate, and in fact it's just my idea, but Tesla and GM might also lobby for higher payments for manufacturers which have reached the federal maximum. Might help GM with the Volt and Bolt EV. Won't help Tesla with the Model S very much but could help with the Model 3, especially if it can keep the price under $50K. Tesla wants to increase the ZEV requirement which would subsidize its sales more, but I don't think that's likely.

The biggest reasons I imagine for lower income people are that EVs are expensive if you're simply looking at the purchase price and if you live in an apartment or condo charging can be an issue.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
The biggest reasons I imagine for lower income people are that EVs are expensive if you're simply looking at the purchase price and if you live in an apartment or condo charging can be an issue.
I think these are the two biggest obstacles for lower income folks getting into EVs and PHEVs. Purchase price and no place to plug in.

As for the thread title it's misleading. A better title would be California again runs out of EV credits.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts