GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, long time lurker first time poster!

I went and picked up a 2017 Volt on Saturday and what a wonderful car. The reason I am posting is because I just went to register my car for the California rebate and found out that my car is not eligible for it, even though I purchased it from a dealer here in California. I gave the ARB a call and apparently, the 5th letter of my VIN number (B) shows that my car does not have the low emission package required for both the rebate and the HOV sticker. I had no idea that there was a difference until this occured. Upon further research, according to the ARB website, there is a note that says: "please note that eligible vehicles with the Low Emissions Package will have an C or a D in the 5th position of the VIN. Engine Family Number must also match". So anyway, for those of you in California still looking to purchase a 2017 Volt, buyer beware. Don't assume that just because you are buying a car in California, that it will have the low emissions package by default. If anyone has any suggestions as far as a workaround or recourse, I'm all ears...

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
So sorry to hear this. What dealer did you get your car from? AFAIK every Volt shipped to CA has the low emission package. Is it possible there is some confusion about the VIN? Call a Volt advisor and see if in fact your vehicle isn't eligible. Since this also affects your warranties, I'd want a replacement that qualifies.

·
Registered
968 Posts
So sorry to hear this. What dealer did you get your car from? AFAIK every Volt shipped to CA has the low emission package. Is it possible there is some confusion about the VIN? Call a Volt advisor and see if in fact your vehicle isn't eligible. Since this also affects your warranties, I'd want a replacement that qualifies.
Don has great advice. Get volt advisor involved.

This stinks! Hopefully this gets resolved ASAP so that you can put this behind you and enjoy your shiny, new car. Keep us updated. This is the first time that I've read of this happening to a forum member. Good luck.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I had noticed that same warning on the CARB website, but it didn't affect me as I have the proper VIN numbers. Shocked that a car sold in California as a NEW vehicle from a dealership would not qualify. You're a little unclear about exactly where you bought the car...it wasn't someplace like ordering it online via a club warehouse and picking it up or some internet site that finds your vehicle and ships to you locally was it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had noticed that same warning on the CARB website, but it didn't affect me as I have the proper VIN numbers. Shocked that a car sold in California as a NEW vehicle from a dealership would not qualify. You're a little unclear about exactly where you bought the car...it wasn't someplace like ordering it online via a club warehouse and picking it up or some internet site that finds your vehicle and ships to you locally was it?
Yeah, I am being vague on purpose to give the dealer a chance to correct this issue. It is from a dealer in Southern California and they did get the refferal through Costco. I am shocked as well as you. I am going to talk to the ARB, the dealer and a Chevy Advisor tomorrow. Thanks for the feedback, I will keep you all posted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don, I double checked my VIN (at least the first 5 characters) and the 5th character is indeed a B. I will call Volt Advisor tomorrow, thanks for the suggstion.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Sounds like your dealer may have swapped cars with another dealer. It happens. Do you a copy of the window sticker, if so look in the lower right hand corner, it will show you who the original dealer was that ordered and took delivery of the car.

I hope you aren't screwed because of something so innocent as a dealer swapping vehicles with another dealer>

·
Registered
2,130 Posts

I went and picked up a 2017 Volt on Saturday and what a wonderful car. The reason I am posting is because I just went to register my car for the California rebate and found out that my car is not eligible for it, even though I purchased it from a dealer here in California. I gave the ARB a call and apparently, the 5th letter of my VIN number (B) shows that my car does not have the low emission package required for both the rebate and the HOV sticker. I had no idea that there was a difference until this occured. Upon further research, according to the ARB website, there is a note that says: "please note that eligible vehicles with the Low Emissions Package will have an C or a D in the 5th position of the VIN. Engine Family Number must also match". So anyway, for those of you in California still looking to purchase a 2017 Volt, buyer beware. Don't assume that just because you are buying a car in California, that it will have the low emissions package by default. If anyone has any suggestions as far as a workaround or recourse, I'm all ears...
Was it a new car?
Perhaps the dealer traded cars with another dealer outside of California?

·
Registered
354 Posts
The Volt advisor can't do anything for you. If the B engine is legal to sell new in CA, then it is your baby now. If the dealer misrepresented it as eligible for the $1500 rebate, then you might have to negotiate that money or ask them to swap the car for a D or E vin.

I guess it is only $1500. Secondly, step back and think why would GM have two different calibrations...I bet you dollars to donuts the B-vin gas engine gets better mpg's and/or a little more mid range torque over the low emission variant. You can't have low emissions and better mpg/power at the same time. You trade a little of one for a little of the other, typically. The last argument in favor of not worrying about the $1500 rebate is that it is pro-rated. If you have to sell the car before 30 months, you owe the state some of the rebate back.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts

Wow, that sucks. I checked my '17 Volt's VIN (purchased in MD, a CARB state), and it has "D" in the 5th position. Sounds like the dealer you purchased from swapped to get a Volt from a non-CARB state.

Not really sure what can do. If you have correspondence that has the dealer guaranteeing the Volt qualifies for the HOV sticker and ARB rebate, you may have something to work with.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I'm not so sure the regular emissions package isn't 50 state approved. It would seem to be eligible to be sold in CA, just not able to get the clean vehicle rebate. We will have to wait for the OP (or anybody else with a B-vin) to tell us what the engine sticker says the car is certified to.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
I'm not so sure the regular emissions package isn't 50 state approved. It would seem to be eligible to be sold in CA, just not able to get the clean vehicle rebate. We will have to wait for the OP (or anybody else with a B-vin) to tell us what the engine sticker says the car is certified to.
If you go to the Volt build page on Chevy.com, it lists the "Low emissions package" as an option ($0).
"Low Emissions Package (T-ZEV)

With the modifications to the engine and catalytic converter included in this package, your Volt® qualifies as Transitional Zero Emissions Vehicle (T-ZEV) in California, Oregon, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Maine.

See states for potential incentive details including eligibility to drive in HOV lanes with single occupancy.

Sold in California, Oregon, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Maine only."

So all other states must get the "regular" emissions package, whatever that is.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah this does suck and unfortunately I am not sure there is any recourse since it is legal to sell that car in California. Anyway, I hope this helps someone in the future.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
yeah this does suck and unfortunately I am not sure there is any recourse since it is legal to sell that car in California. Anyway, I hope this helps someone in the future.
Is it legal? Why would there be a CARB if the CARB were irrelevant to what kind of emissions it would be legal to sell new cars with?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Is it legal? Why would there be a CARB if the CARB were irrelevant to what kind of emissions it would be legal to sell new cars with?
I'm thinking both versions are 50 state legal, but the low emissions pkg that makes it a tzev probably has a pretty expensive catalyst and maybe a software calibration change.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
If you went through the Costco program that is definitely another leverage point. Car dealers participating in the Costco program do not want to rock the boat. I'd get in touch with Costco as well.

While it is legal to sell the car in CA, there is a big problem of non-disclosure. The dealer sold you a car with a shorter warranty and one which is not eligible for the HOV lanes. That would be OK if the dealer told you about this before selling it to you but not if they didn't disclose it. This is just basic consumer protection stuff.

It's quite possible that the dealer didn't understand or know and just messed up. But it needs to fix the problem.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts