GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
California Dealers in Silicon Valley are now taking orders (and have been for a few days). I went to one of the largest Silicon Valley dealers where there is lots of money and more EV's per square mile than anywhere else.

This dealer who has rights to more cars than most based on sales history said his allotment was 38 Bolts. 15 sold the first week and that was by word of mouth since they have not officially advertised they are on sale yet. I got about #15 or #16 in Cajun Red. :sunglasses:

I asked if 38 meant 38 per year or what. He said 38 was for the "first round of ordering".... which without being definate translates to "first few months".

Just one data point here, but if the largest dealership in the most affulent neighborhood gets 38 cars, you can assume everyone else gets fewer for their allotment.

While you can not see a Bolt in person, you can likely see the paint colors on other cars, so it's worth a walk-around on the lot.

For those who don't know, the "tint-coat" only available on the Cajun Red means the top translucent layer of paint is also colored, while eveyone else gets a clear-coat. IMHO this makes for a deeper, richer color... looks kind of like a candy apple at the carnval covered in glossy red glaze. :yum:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh yes. They asked for a FULLY REFUNDABLE $1000 down. No obligation to buy once the car arrives and you get to test drive it. I got to fill out a "pre-order" form with all the options (incl. quantity). I should have asked if they were cheaper by the dozen. :wink:

I got a print out as a reciept.
They are waiting (expecting) to sell out of their allotment, then place the bulk order with Chevrolet all at once. I can make changes up until this bulk order is placed (2 weeks estimated from now)

·
Registered
411 Posts
No word on leasing costs?

·
Administrator
19,977 Posts
So did they give you costs for the options? Is DC charging free with the top trim level?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I also got a text today, from my salesman in Folsom, CA to stop by as they are taking orders. Text back, that I would stop by next week.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Rick from Keyes - where are you?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Have contacted one of the sales people at Keyes, and said they were ready to take $500 deposits for orders to be placed as soon as their allotment was available. Did not say when that would be. Tried to email him back, but undeliverable for some reason, so have sent emails directly to Rick, asking if there would be similar discounting like he did with the Volt...$500 under invoice. If not, may have to go the Costco route.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Rick said "below market value" and 78 initial allotment, and no dates, no option prices, no order sheets.

I want a Bolt, but not bad enough to play the "bum-fight" game at a dealership. I'm now going to just wait and not order one immediately.

That worked REALLY bad when I pre-ordered a 2014 Z/28. That sucked, and I never did get my dream car. I had already started buying track parts for it. Production halted in 2015, and now I can get one in 2016 with >1000 miles for $50k, or $25k off MSRP. Many people bought them to speculate since the production was limited, and they grabbed their ankles if they didn't flip instantly on delivery.

However, the speculators ruined it for the enthusiasts. My guess is my order was held up to fill the speculation orders first. It took 6 months to build the car, then it sat 3 months waiting to ship. When they could not tell me IF they would ever ship it, I backed out. 9 months of getting screwed with was enough.

In 2002, the same thing happened. Last year of the Camaro (in theory), ordered it with a $5000 down. Special 1LE track version. Rarely built at the time. It "disappeared" after shipping to SLP for the 1LE upfit. Nobody could find it. So we got the 2002 Z06 instead.

Ordering GM cars in the blind is really dumb IMO. GM does NOT want special orders from customers, nor do they want to fill the ones they committed to. Ordering at GM is BROKEN.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Ordering GM cars in the blind is really dumb IMO.
Tell that to the Volt owners who ordered the first 2011 Volts unseen. I consider that as an insult.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
I'm torn about ordering one right away. The main reason is to get the $7,500 tax rebate that I would fully qualify for this year, but I could just as easily put in my solar array this year and buy the Bolt next year. But by buying the Bolt in December and getting the rebates, I'd eliminate a car payment that would be almost as much as my payment on the Bolt; the rebate money would pay off all other debts; and my fuel expense would decrease by at least $100 a month. Essentially, the Bolt would increase my net monthly cash flow by $300-$400 starting in March. Plus... It's cool! :cool:

·
1,308 Posts
Some clarification....GM is not taking orders yet but likely will in another 2-4 weeks. Instead, GM has begun telling some dealers how many initial "allocations" they get or, in other words, how many Bolts the dealer can initially order. Some dealers may ask people putting down $500 or $1,000 deposits what color, trim, and options they want but that info is not actually being entered into the GM ordering system yet. The deposit just lets a customer grab a position on a list. That list will be used to bring in customers when actual ordering begins and allow them to make a definite order against one of the dealer's Bolt allocations. Other dealers say have not been told their allocations yet.

I put down a refundable $500 deposit (actually a check that is held but not cashed) to get on the list at Capitol Chevrolet in San Jose which has been told they will have an initial allocation of a bit over 100 Bolts. As of yesterday they have taken around 40 deposits to get on their list.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Tell that to the Volt owners who ordered the first 2011 Volts unseen. I consider that as an insult.
Not sure which way you meant that, but in my case I ordered a $40k car that never arrived, ever, in my state. Sombody else received it. GM would not tell me where it went.

Then I ordered a 2014 $75,000 car that did not arrive, even after it was rotting outside the factory.

In neither case did I order a car that you could test drive first. They were not in production or press fleet when ordered.

We ordered our 2016 Volt from a smaller dealer on Day One of ordering, and saw at least 100 in the wild or on lots, and no date for our delivery. So we selected out of the existing inventory from a mega dealer.

4 special order GM's, one worked out, 3 failed. Perhaps bad luck, perhaps too big of deposits, perhaps GM doesn't give a shiit about special orders. Take your pick.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Not sure which way you meant that, but in my case I ordered a $40k car that never arrived, ever, in my state. Sombody else received it. GM would not tell me where it went.

Then I ordered a 2014 $75,000 car that did not arrive, even after it was rotting outside the factory.

In neither case did I order a car that you could test drive first. They were not in production or press fleet when ordered.

We ordered our 2016 Volt from a smaller dealer on Day One of ordering, and saw at least 100 in the wild or on lots, and no date for our delivery. So we selected out of the existing inventory from a mega dealer.

4 special order GM's, one worked out, 3 failed. Perhaps bad luck, perhaps too big of deposits, perhaps GM doesn't give a shiit about special orders. Take your pick.
It's more likely the dealer than GM. Many dealers will take your order and not have an allocation for that vehicle. Until the dealer gets an allocation the order is never accepted by GM. This can be the case for a lot of smaller dealers that don't order cars like the Volt and Corvette on a regular basis.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
It's more likely the dealer than GM. Many dealers will take your order and not have an allocation for that vehicle. Until the dealer gets an allocation the order is never accepted by GM. This can be the case for a lot of smaller dealers that don't order cars like the Volt and Corvette on a regular basis.
Since I cannot order directly from GM, and GM is legally bound to their dealers, GM is absolutely 100% responsible for their poor system of special orders.

I love my GM's, and I have bought about 2 dozen this century so far from Oldsmobile, Cadillac, GMC, and Chevrolet. I have competed in production GM vehicles all over the US, and set 4 Land Speed Records under the GMC banner. I have had my GM cars and trucks in magazines.

I wear a Bowtie and bleed Chevy Red, White, and Blue. In fact, I have a matching set of Red, White, and Blue GMC trucks used in competition.

If anything makes me switch to Ford, it will be General Motors Corporate Policy On Special Orders. They know it sucks, and they simply do not give a shiite. Not a big one or little one. I'm tired of writing letters, making calls, and sending emails, and always getting the "wow we are sooooooooooooooo sorry, want one off-the-lot, here's a coupon!" ARRRGGGHHH!~~

I CAN ALREADY BUY THEM OFF THE LOTS!!! I will drive out of state to get the exact config I want. Why can't GM handle ordering? Did they fire their entire production control department?

Rant over. I will not order a GM. If one I like is not on a lot, then I will find another brand to buy for the first time in over 25 years.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
It is a separate charge. Here is an example of a premium . Total prices are not yet shown when ordering. This can give you a general idea of what MSRP will be. I would assume plus destination and what ever else may not yet be ready.

Close Primary Color*

G7Q Nightfall Gray Metallic $0.00 $0.00
GAN Silver Ice Metallic $0.00 $0.00
GAZ Summit White $0.00 $0.00
GB8 Mosaic Black Metallic $0.00 $0.00
GD1 Kinetic Blue Metallic $395.00 $359.45
GGB Arctic Blue Metallic $0.00 $0.00
GGQ Orange Burst Metallic $395.00 $359.45
GPJ Cajun Red Tintcoat $395.00 $359.45

Close Trim*

HO1 Dark Galvanized Gray, Perforated leather-appointed seat trim $0.00 $0.00
HO5 Dark Galvanized/Sky Cool Gray, Perforated leather-appointed seat trim $0.00 $0.00
HO6 Light Ash Gray/Ceramic White, Perforated leather-appointed seat trim $0.00 $0.00

Close Engine*

EN0 Engine, none $0.00 $0.00

Close Transmission*

MMF Electric drive unit, (200 hp [150 kW] 266 lb-ft of torque [360 N-m]) $0.00 $0.00

Close Emissions

FE9 Emissions, Federal requirements $0.00 $0.00
NE1 Emissions, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington state requirements $0.00 $0.00
YF5 Emissions, California state requirements $0.00 $0.00

Close Tires

QBM Tires, P215/50R17 all-season blackwall, Michelin Selfseal puncture-sealing $0.00 $0.00

Close Wheels

RJX Wheels, 17" (43.2 cm) Ultra-Bright machined aluminum with painted pockets $0.00 $0.00

Close Additional Options

OVERRIDE CODES

NB8 Emissions override, California $0.00 $0.00
NB9 Emissions override, state-specific W/A W/A
NC7 Emissions override, Federal W/A W/A

Other

B32 Floor mats, carpeted front $0.00 $0.00
B33 Floor mats, carpeted rear $0.00 $0.00
CBT Provisions, fast charging accommodations $750.00 $682.50
GK8 Storage, rear cargo, double floor $0.00 $0.00
JSA Infotainment Package $485.00 $441.35
UE1 OnStar Guidance Plan for 3 months $0.00 $0.00

WPX Driver Confidence II Package $495.00 $450.45

Base Price: $40,905.00 $39,268.81
Advertising/Adjustments: $0.00 $0.00
Total Options: W/A W/A
Total Price: W/A W/A
Destination Charge: $875.00 $875.00
TOTAL PRICE W/ DFC† W/A W/A

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Open Options Added and Removed * indicates a required field

Select Vehicle Options

Expand / Collapse All Options

Select Option
Code Description None Invoice MSRP GMS Supplier † None Invoice MSRP GMS Supplier †

Close Primary Color*

G7Q Nightfall Gray Metallic $0.00 $0.00
GAN Silver Ice Metallic $0.00 $0.00
GAZ Summit White $0.00 $0.00
GB8 Mosaic Black Metallic $0.00 $0.00
GD1 Kinetic Blue Metallic $395.00 $359.45
GGB Arctic Blue Metallic $0.00 $0.00
GGQ Orange Burst Metallic $395.00 $359.45
GPJ Cajun Red Tintcoat $395.00 $359.45

Close Trim*

HO1 Dark Galvanized Gray, Perforated leather-appointed seat trim $0.00 $0.00
HO5 Dark Galvanized/Sky Cool Gray, Perforated leather-appointed seat trim $0.00 $0.00
HO6 Light Ash Gray/Ceramic White, Perforated leather-appointed seat trim $0.00 $0.00

Close Engine*

EN0 Engine, none $0.00 $0.00

Close Transmission*

MMF Electric drive unit, (200 hp [150 kW] 266 lb-ft of torque [360 N-m]) $0.00 $0.00

Close Emissions

FE9 Emissions, Federal requirements $0.00 $0.00
NE1 Emissions, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington state requirements $0.00 $0.00
YF5 Emissions, California state requirements $0.00 $0.00

Close Tires

QBM Tires, P215/50R17 all-season blackwall, Michelin Selfseal puncture-sealing $0.00 $0.00

Close Wheels

RJX Wheels, 17" (43.2 cm) Ultra-Bright machined aluminum with painted pockets $0.00 $0.00

Close Additional Options

OVERRIDE CODES

NB8 Emissions override, California $0.00 $0.00
NB9 Emissions override, state-specific W/A W/A
NC7 Emissions override, Federal W/A W/A

Other

B32 Floor mats, carpeted front $0.00 $0.00
B33 Floor mats, carpeted rear $0.00 $0.00
CBT Provisions, fast charging accommodations $750.00 $682.50
GAM VEHICLE GOVERNMENT (G.S.A. SALES) $0.00 $0.00
GK8 Storage, rear cargo, double floor $0.00 $0.00
JSA Infotainment Package $485.00 $441.35
TUR Grille, Dark Silver $0.00 $0.00
TUS Grille, Black $0.00 $0.00
U2K SiriusXM Satellite Radio $0.00 $0.00
UE1 OnStar Guidance Plan for 3 months $0.00 $0.00
VKD License plate bracket, front mounting W/A W/A
VV4 OnStar with 4G LTE $0.00 $0.00
WPX Driver Confidence II Package $495.00 $450.45

Base Price: $40,905.00 $39,268.81
Advertising/Adjustments: $0.00 $0.00
Total Options: W/A W/A
Total Price: W/A W/A
Destination Charge: $875.00 $875.00
TOTAL PRICE W/ DFC† W/A W/A
Looks like invoice price for a base Premier with MSRP $40,905.00 is $39,268.81 + destination? What will your dealership be selling them for?

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Also noticed the base MSRP of an LT is $36,620, so with destination it is the $37,495 figure that's been quoted. So a $4,285 delta between LT and Premier.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
..... a $4,285 delta between LT and Premier.
With all the additional tech and comfort you get w/the Premier package... $4k additional seams reasonable.

Here's the base level Premier features:
17" Ultra Bright Machined, Painted Aluminum Wheels
Outside Rearview Mirrors with Turn Signal Indicators
Roof Rails
Leather-Appointed Seats
Front and Rear Heated Seats
Leather-Wrapped Heated Steering Wheel
Surround Vision
Rear Camera Mirror
Light-Sensitive Inside Rearview Mirror
Ambient Lighting Piping on Instrument Panel
Lane Change Alert with Side Blind Zone Alert
Rear Cross Traffic Alert
Rear Parking Assist
False Cargo Floor

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I should think the trip would be essentially the same in a Bolt.

The Tesla is more aerodynamic but the Bolt is lighter weight.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts