GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Registered
1,936 Posts
Well, there you have it PIP buyers are only interested in the HOV sticker and drive it just like any other Prius. The plug in part being large irrelevant.

California got played.
Is that really what you get from that?
The survey shows more that half of PiP owner's primary reason is HOV lane access. Your statement implies all PiP owners which is not supported by the evidence.
Nowhere is it supported that was the "only" reason. It was the primary one, and again, for most, not all.
Where does it say they don't plug it in? Perhaps some don't, but all?

· Registered
2,179 Posts
Long term, I will save money with the Volt over a comparable (what is comparable with the Volt? anything?...probably not) new car. However, when I tell people that I have driven over 8,000 miles on 65 gallons of gas, it is so funny to see their expressions. The Volt, for me, really is a cool vehicle. :cool:

· Registered
679 Posts
This is probably why California revoked the ZEV status (for a white sticker) from the i3 with the range extender.
The i3 REx could never have qualified for a white sticker, the requirements for which are in the statute. Earlier rumors aside, the crippling features in REx's worldwide (tiny fuel tank, no Hold mode) were to qualify for credits allowing BMW to continue to sell huge gas guzzlers in California.

· Registered
1,522 Posts
The i3 REx could never have qualified for a white sticker, the requirements for which are in the statute. Earlier rumors aside, the crippling features in REx's worldwide (tiny fuel tank, no Hold mode) were to qualify for credits allowing BMW to continue to sell huge gas guzzlers in California.
BMW said they worked out an exception with the CARB. That is why the ReX and the fuel tank are so small. And why there is no hold mode like the European version. The ReX was intended for emergencies ONLY in California not as a routine range extender like the Volt.

· Registered
679 Posts
BMW said they worked out an exception with the CARB. That is why the ReX and the fuel tank are so small. And why there is no hold mode like the European version. The ReX was intended for emergencies ONLY in California not as a routine range extender like the Volt.
Right. But the exception - a new class of almost-EV called BEVx - was to qualify for EV credits required under California law to sell gas-powered cars in the state. It had nothing to do with HOV stickers; those requirements are set by law.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.