GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know the maps in the volt calculates routes based on traffic (not very well). can it calculate best routes based on traffic in HOV lanes? for example, the traffic southbound on the 5 around the 91 might be horrible, but in the carpool lane, it's clear.

if not, is there a iphone app that does?

thanks.

·
Registered
918 Posts
j2yu, I don't know of any iPhone app that will calculate your SoCal travel time based on HOV traffic flow. Have you tried sigalert.com to see if that will help? I know their website pushes My Sigalert (fee based) functionality, but I've never tried it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi edju,

the last time i tried, sigalert showed speeds in the hov lanes, but it calculates times (and finds optimized routes) based on the non-hov lanes. so close!

i've requested that they add the hov option. they said they will work on it. we'll see....

thanks!

·
Registered
918 Posts
j2yu,
For what it's worth, I actually prefer when the HOV traffic flows steadily at 45 ~ 55 MPH during my commute (Irvine <-> Torrance; 35 miles one way on 405). Most mornings, HOV speed ranges from 75 MPH to 20 MPH; afternoons are 45 MPH to 75 MPH.

I'm guessing we are on a different boat when it comes to speed and time. That's because I'm cheap :)

Anyway, I hope you find a good solution.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ah... i'm going traveling up and down the 5 from the 91 down to mission viejo. gotta go through the orange crush every day. on the way home, it's sometimes better to go the 5N to the 405N to the 55N back to the 5N, but it's not always obvious whether that's true or not in the hov lanes. best solution is to probably move. haha.

oh well, thanks for the input.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Boy - that's a bear of a traffic jam you need to travel through daily. I try to avoid the 5 as much as I can, but that's not really an option for you. I've got it easy with my commute.

Sorry I couldn't help...

·
Super Moderator
6,277 Posts
This app seems interesting. https://www.waze.com/

Maybe check the livemap during/close_to some times you care about. https://www.waze.com/livemap/

Waze is the world's fastest-growing community-based traffic and navigation app. Join other drivers in your area who share real-time traffic and road info, saving everyone time and gas money on their daily commute.

Nothing can beat real people working together: Imagine 30 million drivers out on the roads, working together towards a common goal: to outsmart traffic and get everyone the best route to work and back, every day.

Traffic is more than just red lines on the map: Get alerted before you approach police, accidents, road hazards or traffic jams, all shared by other drivers in real time. It's like a personal heads-up from a few million of your friends on the road.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hi scott,

i currently use waze. it has an option to use or not use toll roads. no option to use or not use hov lanes, yet.

interestingly, the iphone maps app shows hov lanes including where you can enter and exit. but it never shows me in the lanes or routes me through them. oh well...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, that was a good question. Speaking of which, HOV lanes, or carpool lanes, allow cars with more than one occupant to skirt jam-packed traffic. It is a benefit for saving fuel and polluting less. A new program in California allows drivers of so-called green cars the same opportunity, even if they are driving alone. This system is set to end in 2015, but at least one lawmaker wants to expand that by a decade. Get the very best used car purchase that you can to drive on the roads.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts