GM Volt Forum banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
I didn't realize you wanted to read this again, but since you asked nicely, here's the short list...

• reverse camera has poor, blurry resolution at night that makes it nearly useless
  • when the Illumination Control Thumbwheel is dialed all the way down at night, the reverse camera doesn't automatically switch to full brightness when the car is put in reverse, resulting in an even darker, worse image than it already has
  • no setting to disable the incessant triple-honk alert for 'vehicle left on', similar to the available setting to disable the 'keyfob left in vehicle' alert
  • C.U.E. screens too bright at night, even at lowest illumination setting
  • Switching to Night Mode manually doesn't do anything (it's supposed enable dimming the screens during the daytime as if it were evening)
  • after manually turning off the main display, touching any climate control (aside from heated seats) turns the display back on
  • after manually turning off the main display, if you have a destination set, every turn or "prepare to turn" instruction turns the display back on, even though the information is already presented in the DIC
  • poor integration and control of iPod/iPhone devices
  • improper sorting of media tracks (because the HMI indexes the device instead of letting the device control the sorting)
  • inability to display what's playing over Bluetooth in the DIC (even though it can display on the main center stack display, and displays tracks/album info in the DIC for devices connected by USB cable, or playing over the Radio/XM)
  • C.U.E. can't pick up where it left off on an album if such album was selected from the steering wheel controls instead of the center stack display. (C.U.E. instead finishes the song it was last playing and then moves on to the next song alphabetically on the device!)
  • can't access the Favorites bar on the Climate screen
  • A/C always defaults to 'Max' instead of to 'Eco'. No way to switch between 'Min', 'Eco', and 'Max' without first going to the Climate screen.
  • On the Map screen, the 'Destination' icon sets the trip, but the 'Menu' icon cancels it - very unintuitive!
  • No SMS Texting feature that is described in the ELR's owner's manual
  • Passenger door trim blocks a portion of the passenger-side mirror at all driver seat positions
  • C.U.E. will never receive the C.U.E. Collection apps as promised
  • C.U.E. will never stay current with ongoing updates as promised
There's something to be said for a bottom feeder who waits for a premium product to fail so he can grab it at rock bottom prices and then drives around thinking he's not driving a failed model. If you had actually done your research, you'd be first in line for a 2016 ELR, not last in line for a car released in late 2013 with only one production run. But then you probably can't afford the 2016 ELR at its MSRP, even with the $9,000 price reduction.
Ok, we are making progress...

Now, which one of these things changed AFTER you chose to buy the car?

For example, was the camera clear when you bought the car but then went blurry? When you first bought the car you said that the camera was definitely better than the volt's back up camera ,what happened to that opinion? Did the CUE screens get BRIGHTER after a few days of use? So on and so forth... are you getting the picture yet?

I'm asking nicely, did you test drive the car and make sure it was what you wanted before you bought it?

They aren't faults in the car, they are things you don't like about it. That's NOT GM's problem because you chose to buy it. You are correct in saying that their buying you out (if that's even true) was a GIFT. I'm pretty certain paying all that money was worth it to GM just to make you go away with all your complaining. What do I have to do here to make the same thing happen???

You can call me (and others) a bottom feeder for waiting until the car was appropriately priced before buying (or leasing) it, but who is the not so intelligent one here that was paying over $800.00 a month for a car that was worth no more than 50k?

You are right that I probably can't afford the new 16 ELR at the release price even with 9k off, but the fact of the matter is I wouldn't, it's just not worth that much to me. If my inability afford, or choice not to buy makes you feel superior in some way, I'm ok with that.

You were sore that you paid too much and that others got a better deal, it's ok to admit that.

I guess what we CAN agree on is that for the money YOU paid, you should have gotten a car that was exactly what YOU wanted. Who's choice was it to buy the ELR you had, just the way it was on delivery day? I (and others here) feel like for the money WE paid, the car is FANTASTIC! Well worth the price. Driving one for a weekend first, gave me the ability to MAKE SURE it was what I wanted. I'm sorry for you) that you didn't do that.

I don't have a hair across my arse with you, I'm just tired of your posting that the car has what you call "faults" when it's working exactly as designed. I think the majority of other ELR owners on here would agree that these aren't problems at all.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Advice to my fellow ELR lovers (14ELR, Loboc et al.): If you talk about instead of to such people they will find another group to troll on their own accord. It might take a week or even a month (perhaps in this case even a year...). Solidarity is key.

This forum should be where we share the love for a fantastic vehicle, not where we engage with people that derive satisfaction from goading people as the perpetual contrarian...logic and rationality will never work...

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Seriously? Buying a car that is similar to yours is a bad thing that requires insults?
I'm just foolin' with him because he's so angry and being a brat. I'm actually very happy for those who got this car for a significant chunk off the MSRP - it means more ELRs in the wild raising brand awareness, and therefore a better chance of future ELRs being built as the demand increases. It's hard to see an ELR on the road and not want one yourself.

In my opinion, all of these things are your opinion not 'defects'. Personally, I was never promised CUE updates and don't expect them. Past experience with similar products from many manufacturers suggests that nobody else updates their infotainment products post-sale, so, there is no incentive for GM to do so.
Cadillac disagrees, as evidenced by it refunding my money. That wouldn't have happened if the issues I reported were my opinion alone or if they weren't valid concerns.

BTW, if you bought your ELR prior to October 2014, then you were promised C.U.E. updates. Those promises that "future software updates ensure that CUE will remain as current tomorrow as it is today" and "software can be updated during the life of the vehicle, so CUE will never become outdated" weren't taken down from the website until then. Here's the graphic in case you missed it.

Also, Tesla and Ford - just to name two - update their infotainment systems post-sale. Tesla even adds new features to its cars!

For example, was the camera clear when you bought the car but then went blurry? When you first bought the car you said that the camera was definitely better than the volt's back up camera ,what happened to that opinion? Did the CUE screens get BRIGHTER after a few days of use? So on and so forth... are you getting the picture yet?

I'm asking nicely, did you test drive the car and make sure it was what you wanted before you bought it?
Valid points, all. The problem was that I never had the opportunity to do a test drive at night or on a dark cloudy day. Nor did I have the opportunity to plug in my iPhone and see how it indexed and displayed the tracks. Nor did I ever step out of the car with it running and the keyfob in my hand (because the salesperson held onto it). Nor over the course of three test drives did I discover any of the issues that one wouldn't normally ever discover on a test drive. The car was so upscale, I made the mistake of expecting every aspect of the car to work as well as the things I tested vigorously.

I knew the car wasn't any faster than the Volt, I knew the trunk was small, I knew the back seat was small, I knew there wasn't a head-up display, I knew it didn't have cooled front seats, and I knew it didn't come with a sunroof. None of those were deal-breakers, and I was fully aware of those issues. And all the software bugs I did point out to the salesperson were things that he (and his sales manager) said would be fixed with future C.U.E. updates, just like the website promised. Who would have thought Cadillac would renege on that promise plastered over all of its promotional materials?!? It never even occurred to me that Cadillac - who was trying hard to compare itself to Tesla with this car (despite walking that back months later) - would do the exact opposite of the competitor it was trying to emulate.

I guess what we CAN agree on is that for the money YOU paid, you should have gotten a car that was exactly what YOU wanted.
Indeed. And having paid near full price (or rather, having based my lease on the full MSRP cap cost) and having shown my loyalty and enthusiasm by getting one of the first 10 off the production line, I expected Cadillac to at least be willing to fix a few software bugs to showcase its stellar customer service and commitment to the car. I guess Cadillac decided to be even more dramatic in order to engender that customer loyalty and respect. I never asked for it, but that 16-month $0 lease was the best deal I've ever had on a car... but it shouldn't have been necessary. There's very little in my list that couldn't have been resolved by a couple of programmers given a couple of weeks. It would have been less expensive for Cadillac, too.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
However, after speaking with a couple of corporate attorneys with whom I'm friends, I think I understand what may have happened.
I don't think you had a legal case in any way, shape, or form. They just perceived you as a PITA and decided it was worth the price of a car to be rid of you. Since you wanted that, it worked out for you (and presumably for them). Win-win.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I don't think you had a legal case in any way, shape, or form.
This wasn't a case of legality; there was never any threat to sue or otherwise attempt to recover damages. This repurchase offer came out of nowhere and was all Cadillac's idea. And as I noted elsewhere, I am not the only ELR owner to whom Cadillac made this offer, and those people were not complaining publicly (at least not on the forums I frequent). Had it been a case of being a pain in the ass, Cadillac would have told me I was out of luck and banned me from buying another GM car (which wouldn't be the first time GM has done that to one of its difficult customers). I obviously made the right complaint, talked to the right person, and presented the right argument to undo the lease deal. Speaking with GM every two months asking about the status of a software update is far from being a PITA.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I didn't realize you wanted to read this again, but since you asked nicely, here's the short list...
---- Cut ----

There's something to be said for a bottom feeder who waits for a premium product to fail so he can grab it at rock bottom prices and then drives around thinking he's not driving a failed model. If you had actually done your research, you'd be first in line for a 2016 ELR, not last in line for a car released in late 2013 with only one production run. But then you probably can't afford the 2016 ELR at its MSRP, even with the $9,000 price reduction.
I didn't want to read the list, but I suffered through it. There's nothing there that singularly or collectively would amount to a deal-breaker for me.

As for the insults, you think someone who has paid a fair price ($50 -$60k) to own his car is a bottom feeder? This from someone who only agreed to pay for the depreciation on a car that GM still owned? And is now doing the same for a middle of the range Ford, as presumably you did for the Volt?
You shouldn't be questioning anyone's financial status or character. For all we know you could have been having trouble meeting the inflated lease payments on the ELR and were forced to downsize, or maybe the ELR only failed in getting you the admiration you seem to crave. Cadillac is probably glad to see your taillights.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
For all we know you could have been having trouble meeting the inflated lease payments on the ELR and were forced to downsize.
Yes, that's it! Because Cadillac routinely refunds customers' entire outlay and lets them out of their leases when they can't afford their monthly payments.

Duh.

a middle of the range Ford
You mean the Ford Fusion Energi Titanium that - when fully loaded - sells for barely less than for what the 2014 ELR is currently selling? I guess that means the ELR must be a middle-of-the-range car too! The big difference, however, is that the FFE fits 5 people and only has one of all the problems I listed - and didn't list - above for the ELR (Bluetooth display in the DIC). But you keep on dreaming that a car being gorgeous makes it better than a car that's just attractive, functionality apparently being meaningless.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Yes, that's it! Because Cadillac routinely refunds customers' entire outlay and lets them out of their leases when they can't afford their monthly payments.

Duh.

You mean the Ford Fusion Energi Titanium that - when fully loaded - sells for barely less than for what the 2014 ELR is currently selling? I guess that means the ELR must be a middle-of-the-range car too! The big difference, however, is that the FFE fits 5 people and only has one of all the problems I listed - and didn't list - above for the ELR (Bluetooth display in the DIC). But you keep on dreaming that a car being gorgeous makes it better than a car that's just attractive, functionality apparently being meaningless.
My local Ford dealership is selling a $43k (I'm thinking loaded) '15 Fusion Energi for $33k. If you can find me a new '14 ELR for barely more than that (say $35-36k), let me know.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
That's because the 2016 models have already arrived at dealerships. Same reason I can lease a fully-loaded 2015 Volt at my local Chevrolet dealer for ~$300/mo with no money down - the Gen II 2016s are imminent. (That's what I almost got instead of the FFE, but it doesn't have ACC or automatic memory seats.)

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
To quote your former president: "I'm a Ford, not a Lincoln."

As for valuing looks over function - you had the ELR, it was functional enough for you when you got it. You're talking to someone who has owned and loved some really ugly cars.

·
Registered
104 Posts
But you keep on dreaming that a car being gorgeous makes it better than a car that's just attractive, functionality apparently being meaningless.
Paramount "functionality" to some of us means miles we can travel without burning fossil fuel, and yet have the ability to extend range at the corner gas station when necessary. On that paramount "functionality," you lose badly. The trivia you think is "functionality" is laughable. How stupid were you initially to buy a 2 + 2 car if you really think carrying five people is important "functionality?" Or are you now engaging in rationalization?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
meh - to each his own. Being a professional musician and computer programmer, that stuff means more to me than the car being pretty. And since my commute is within the range of the Fusion Energi, I'm still effectively driving 85-95% EV-only for the most part. I don't need 37 EV miles to achieve that. I never liked the 2 + 2, but it was the only way to get a luxury Volt.

At least you and I agree on the environmental aspects of EVs, hotspur :D

·
Registered
918 Posts
meh - to each his own. Being a professional musician and computer programmer, that stuff means more to me than the car being pretty. And since my commute is within the range of the Fusion Energi, I'm still effectively driving 85-95% EV-only for the most part. I don't need 37 EV miles to achieve that. I never liked the 2 + 2, but it was the only way to get a luxury Volt.

At least you and I agree on the environmental aspects of EVs, hotspur :D
Blast,
I've been a supporter of yours for the most part, going back to when you first leased your ELR. After reading this thread, I'm jumping off that wagon. You are rewriting your past history to whatever suits you best in the moment. That is not cool, which is what most people here are calling you out on.

Enjoy your Fusion Energi. I drove one for kicks few months ago (I needed to kill time to wait for a friend, and wanted to charge my Volt, pre-ELR), and there's no way I would ever pick a FFE over ELR.

I'm glad the new selection parameter works for you (what is this, scope-creep? You sure you don't work for Boeing? LOL). Enjoy that poor excuse of a trunk.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I've been a supporter of yours for the most part, going back to when you first leased your ELR. After reading this thread, I'm jumping off that wagon. You are rewriting your past history to whatever suits you best in the moment.
That's a fair criticism, seeing as how I went from a Volt with no luxury features to an ELR with a plethora of them, making very clear that I felt the MSRP was justified in order to get all those goodies.

Unfortunately, Cadillac didn't live up to its promises, giving no material support to the ELR after its release, even making things worse with that Poolside ad that made every ELR owner look like an arrogant, ignorant prick. As a result, the price dropped precipitously mere months after the car's release, and the car became the embarrassing poster child for modern automotive failure.

Then I found issues with the car that - if resolved - would have improved the vehicle and kept me in it for the full term. Instead, Cadillac offered to refund my money without me even asking. I still would have preferred the latter solution, but I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth.

While it may appear disingenuous to you, I would argue that I did choose a replacement vehicle that had even more luxury features than the ELR, and for a lot less money, so in that respect I was not two-faced at all. Pretty ain't everything, nor is more EV range than I need to drive 85-95% electric-only.

However, had the 2016 ELR been available now, there's a very good chance I would have leased that instead of the Ford. Unfortunately, the timing didn't work out. Also, there isn't any guarantee that the issues I raised are resolved in that model year, so driving a rental or doing a swapalease for the interim and losing out on HOV stickers just wasn't worth the risk of waiting for it to be released. On the other hand, I would have definitely waited for a Gen II Volt if it had added automatic memory seats and adaptive cruise control, even with the potential that HOV stickers wouldn't be available for it. Oh, well...

I'm sorry I've lost your support, Edju, but then I'm not running for office, so I guess I don't really care. I'm happy, you're happy, many other ELR owners are happy, and that's what counts: everyone is happy.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Point of order, 'Poolside' was a major factor in me getting the car. I always liked the platform, and made a note to pay attention when Cadillac released a voltec model.
I really liked the poolside ad, but what made me love it, and led me to the ELR was the backlash over the ad. I call it a finger in the eye of those that made such a stink. And any chance I get, I make sure to tell anyone who mentions it that it was EXACTLY their class warfare that made me buy the car. Especially since the political persuasion of those who whined is fairly well known, and they were willing to temporarily abandon their green religion in order to criticize a little luxury.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Point of order, 'Poolside' was a major factor in me getting the car. I always liked the platform, and made a note to pay attention when Cadillac released a voltec model.
I really liked the poolside ad, but what made me love it, and led me to the ELR was the backlash over the ad. I call it a finger in the eye of those that made such a stink. And any chance I get, I make sure to tell anyone who mentions it that it was EXACTLY their class warfare that made me buy the car. Especially since the political persuasion of those who whined is fairly well known, and they were willing to temporarily abandon their green religion in order to criticize a little luxury.
If you buy to fit in or buy to stand out, it makes you a sucker.

·
Registered
30 Posts
...The good news is that in 2-3 years, Cadillac will have a plug-in CT6 that - if the reported specs are accurate - will have everything I want and more. Even if Cadillac tries to charge $80-90k for that car, I'll probably still be game...
Blast: Congrats on your workout with Cadillac and your new Fusion. You are very correct in your 2-3 year out intro for the CT6 plug-in. Be sure and stop by occasionally to beat up on the '16 ELR and I will start interviewing everyone I know with the Fusion plug-in so that I can beat up on your latest choice!

M

41 - 58 of 58 Posts