GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Vaporware:

GM is not expected to disclose on Friday additional details, including precisely when the Cadillac EV will be built, whether it will be a crossover or sedan, or where it will be assembled, the sources said.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I hope it's true, I'd love a Cadillac with specs and price similar to a Model 3 what I don't want is an electric Escalade. It makes sense for Cadillac to go electric, it's a chance for Cadillac to reestablish itself as a luxury brand. It's been decades since Cadillac was a tier 1 luxury marque, the Germans totally dominated that category, the best Cadillac could say is at least they're not Lincoln. But the luxury segment has already moved to the point where EVs have reached the tipping point because you can now build a 300 mile car for 60K and up and make money, Tesla dominated the luxury segment last year. GM has an advantage over the Germans because they have a lot more experience designing EVs. If they are smart they will press that advantage.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
It makes sense for Cadillac to go electric, it's a chance for Cadillac to reestablish itself as a luxury brand.
Because they've done so well at it to date.

No, this is more of the same losing idea. I'd go as far as to say it's fake news designed to help push GM stock prices up (which it has).

Reuters said:
GM is set to announce Friday as part of an investor update.....
GM is not expected to disclose on Friday additional details......
*cough*

Let's not forget that the next Voltec was going to be a Buick CUV. Also fake news IMO.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
maybe/hopefully,cadi will bring back a bad azz ELR,that will compete w/ tesla.
hell,I'd like to have cadi rewrite my software for more performance.

·
Registered
974 Posts
All GM can think of is how they might compete against an existing successful brand (Tesla)?
And not how they might create their own unique EV brand in a different market, like trucks?

They have become the fat kid on the softball field chasing the ball around the back stop.
He never catches it because he isn't fast enough.
But if he would only look at where the ball is heading, he might be able to move out in front of it and cut it off.

It will be interesting to see what emerges the next couple of years where history will be the final judge ...

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Because they've done so well at it to date.

No, this is more of the same losing idea. I'd go as far as to say it's fake news designed to help push GM stock prices up (which it has).

*cough*

Let's not forget that the next Voltec was going to be a Buick CUV. Also fake news IMO.
I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt because GM did such a good job on the Volt. However it all depends on what they offer and when. Cadillac has new management and they've moved back to Detroit from New York. Obviously you have a right to be skeptical, Cadillac's history with EVs is poor. All they've done so far is drop a Cadillac body on top of a Volt which yielded a car with half the range of a Volt at twice the price, it's no wonder they only sold 500 of them. That sort of behavior is exactly the sort of thing that killed the Cadillac brand, rebadging Chevy's as Cadillac's, a Chevy with nicer seats is still a Chevy and it's not worth the price of a Cadillac. However we are at an important crossroads, eventually all cars will be electric and the first cars to make the transition are luxury cars. The German's are all in on EVs, so is Jaguar and Volvo, so Cadillac has no choice. But it's an opportunity for them as well has a threat, GM built the EV1, two generations of Volt and the Bolt so they know as much as anyone, including Tesla, about how to build an EV, if they go all in they can reestablish the brand, if they half ass it then it could be the final nail in the coffin.

As for me my time frame for a BEV is a year or two, probably next year. It looks like there will be some choices besides Tesla in 2020, I hope Cadillac is one of them. The Model 3 remains on the list and hopefully by then they will have addressed some of the shortcomings that have stopped me from buying one now. The Volvo Polestar 2 sounds really attractive, 300 miles of range and built in Android Automotive (the built in version of AA), but until they ship it we won't know what it's really can do. The same is true with Audi, the MEB platform is intriguing, hopefully there will be something good. BMW is also a possibility, they have experience with EVs so there is a good chance that their next efforts will be pretty good.

·
Administrator
20,192 Posts
Cadillac will lead GM's electric vehicle push in 2019, the start of the automaker's march to 20 EVs by 2023. The luxury brand is expected to introduce a new model this year based on GM's new electric vehicle architecture. The new and more flexible EV platform will accommodate a variety of body styles and will be offered in front-, rear- and all-wheel drive configurations, GM said Friday in its 2019 forecast.

The new electric vehicle platform will be exclusive to Cadillac when it launches in 2021, GM President Mark Reuss said the new electric vehicle platform will be exclusive to Cadillac when it launches in 2021, GM President Mark Reuss said.
I'm confused by this. "expected to introduce a new model this year", but then "the new electric vehicle platform will be exclusive to Cadillac when it launches in 2021"

And does this mean no more Chevy EV's? What happened to Buick?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I guess I can see GM's logic, but where does that leave the Volt owner in a few years? Not all of us can afford $50K, or $70K or even $100K for a new Cadillac EV. And where does that leave the Bolt? In 4 or 5 years, my 2016 Volt will be due for replacement and I had hoped for a small CUV EV to replace it. Guess I'll be looking at Japanese or even Chinese options by then.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
The article I just read said Cadillac will use the BEV3 platform to compete against Tesla with multiple vehicles from compact crossover on up to 7 passenger SUV and large commercial van. It makes economic sense to like Tesla pick the low hanging fruit first (luxury market) to maximize profits but doesn't eliminate the possibility of delving down the market at any point. Seems to be the counter point to VW's starting at the bottom $20,000 to $26,000 entry vehicle and go for volume. GM's goal is 1 million EV's by 2026 albeit most will be in China which is leading the way into the EV future. The US hasn't the will and will be following the rest of the world into EV's unless there is a general outcry for EV's which is unlikely given their large vehicle, gas guzzling, low gas prices, long distant open spaces history. Which doesn't mean you won't be able to buy an EV, just that traditional American companies choices will be limited.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt because GM did such a good job on the Volt. However it all depends on what they offer and when. Cadillac has new management and they've moved back to Detroit from New York. Obviously you have a right to be skeptical, Cadillac's history with EVs is poor.
I've gone well beyond skeptical. I would not be offended if I were characterized as being hostile. I can only swallow so much BS before I start handing out some whoop ass on liars. Mary's well up on my liars list.

And yes, GM did an outstanding job with my Volt. That makes me even more irate when I think about what they've done since. It's like they either forgot how to make a great car, or fired the folks who knew how.

All they've done so far is drop a Cadillac body on top of a Volt which yielded a car with half the range of a Volt at twice the price, it's no wonder they only sold 500 of them. That sort of behavior is exactly the sort of thing that killed the Cadillac brand, rebadging Chevy's as Cadillac's, a Chevy with nicer seats is still a Chevy and it's not worth the price of a Cadillac.
That's an unfair synopsis of what the ELR is. It's far more than a Cadillac body on top of a Volt. The problem with ELR and CT6 is that Cadillac didn't take the same per unit loss that Chevrolet did. The price killed both out the door.

However we are at an important crossroads.....
We aren't even approaching a crossroads, especially where GM is concerned. That's wishful thinking based on public relations hype.

Mind you, if an XT4 Cadillac came out on the Voltec platform I'd be all over it. But I'm through with buying into anyone's hype.

·
Registered
373 Posts
You’d think they might leverage the small but committed Bolt/ Volt platform/ owners first along with some REAL informative prime time advertising instead of chasing rainbows .....a slightly bigger hatchback/ sedan Volt , a quite a bit bigger Bolt/ SUV crossover .... there you have just competed with the Model 3 /X /Y and the IPace etc .... and you have a small but highly informed/ passionate customer base to kick start the process !! Seriously how many of us would love a slightly bigger all electric Volt ( IF range was ...275+ ) and similarly Bolt ,slightly larger SUV with similar or slightly better 300 mile range .. I know I would !!

·
Registered
657 Posts
You’d think they might leverage the small but committed Bolt/ Volt platform/ owners first along with some REAL informative prime time advertising instead of chasing rainbows .....a slightly bigger hatchback/ sedan Volt , a quite a bit bigger Bolt/ SUV crossover .... there you have just competed with the Model 3 /X /Y and the IPace etc .... and you have a small but highly informed/ passionate customer base to kick start the process !! Seriously how many of us would love a slightly bigger all electric Volt ( IF range was ...275+ ) and similarly Bolt ,slightly larger SUV with similar or slightly better 300 mile range .. I know I would !!
SPOT ON my friend. I would have been seriously looking at a GM EV to replace my Volt based on how pleased I have been with my Volt.
But I probably could not afford a Cadillac nor would I be that interested in a bling filled EV the size of a small tank...no matter how good looking.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
As for changing rainbows, it takes 2 to 3 years to outfit a factory and get production rolling during which time a number of product changes will happen as preproduction ramps up. Honda used to be the industry leader in being able to do it in under 5 years, now the lead time is down to 2 to 3 years as the industry standard. That's why any production decisions and announcements always have that two to three year lead time. It's not that they are leading you on so much as that's just the time it takes. They could keep everything under wraps until just before production but it always get leaked out on way or anther so may as well get on top off it and do it first. Plus there is always the hope of encouraging people to hold off on their buying decisions but that isn't always possible. My nephew a while back wanted a $35,000 Model 3 but needed an EV car now for his 3 hour commute so he bought a Bolt. Good thing he did as if he waited he would still be waiting.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I recently drove a Model 3- it is a great car. A great car created by a tech company not a car company. Maybe a traditional car company could never have created the Model 3. It's amazing that all of these car companies are chasing and comparing their new cars to Tesla. GM in particular needs to spin off a division for BEV's or make BEV trucks and SUV's only going forward. Cadillac is dead, they can't compete with Tesla or any other luxury car brand- very tragic given it's great history. GM and Ford will become truck and SUV companies- if so, then why do we need both of them.

·
Registered
66 Posts
While I can see the strategy of going with Caddy to pick the low hanging high priced fruit, GM has a looong way to go before Caddy will be a respectable luxury mark again. Like most of their efforts in the past 30 years (Volt and Bolt excepted in my mind) they will probably do about 80% of what needs to be done and then wonder why people prefer German cars that go the extra 20%.

There is some irony here. I remember back in the day when what really separated Caddy from all the other GM stuff was all the "extras" they added on, some useful, but mostly junk. Now they won't even put power seats in a $40000 Bolt. Maybe you'll have to buy a Caddy to get power seats in your GM EV after the last Volts are gone.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Highlighting very well just one more area of GM incompetence.

Or is it?

Maybe it's just all BS and GM couldn't care less about any of that.

Maybe you'll have to buy a Caddy to get power seats in your GM EV after the last Volts are gone.
You can get a power seat in a 2019 Volt - yes it's true. Until March that is.....

1 - 20 of 81 Posts