GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the fine print says that the price includes $10,000 state and federal rebate.. Still an interesting price
Ah, nice catch. So actually $25k off, still a fairly steep discount it seems.

·
Registered
364 Posts
They're finally getting close to where the MSRP "should" have been when the things were introduced. They might actually sell a few at that price

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
If I was in the market I'd buy one at that price. That's still a $20K premium over the Volt which is more consistent with what we normally see between Chevy and Cadillac.

·
Registered
45 Posts
25k off (before tax credits)is a pretty good price! Too bad cadillac did not start at this price point. My local dealers, total inventory of 27, won't go below 20k off (on the demo which has an extra 5k on it), but they haven't sold even 1 in the past 2 months.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Wow they have 9 at that dealership. 5 black 2 red and 2 silver. I like the red with the beige interior but more coin than I can part with.
...but it's the perfect blend of art and science!

Who is the executive that signed off on that price. Interesting experiment - I always wanted to know, what would happen if a vehicle had a price far above it's perceived value for the sake of "exclusivity." Since no one in their right mind would take that billion dollar risk! Thanks ELR, results equal = just like it says in the text books.

·
Registered
215 Posts
the bad thing is.. this is a 1 year only car.. if you have ever own a 1 year owned car.. when stuff breaks its nearly impossible to fix within a reasonable price.. i will never do that again.. no matter how cheap they go on it.. my current car is a single year model in which they only had the drivetrain in the USA for a single year.. everytime i need parts.. they dont have them due to this.. because the car 1 year before me and 1 year after me.. dont work in most cases.. its really dumb... when i need something i have to special order it from the dealership and pay extra to have it and then wait while my car is in need of the part.. its just become a stupid nightmare..

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
My question is, has all available inventory already been distributed to dealers (i.e., did the factory only build the ELRs that were ordered), or are there still yet unshipped ELRs at the factory that dealerships won't touch with a 10-ft pole? And if Cadillac decides to release a 2015 ELR, will there be a single dealership that orders it if the MSRP isn't reduced?

·
Registered
609 Posts

Who is the executive that signed off on that price. Interesting experiment - I always wanted to know, what would happen if a vehicle had a price far above it's perceived value for the sake of "exclusivity." Since no one in their right mind would take that billion dollar risk! Thanks ELR, results equal = just like it says in the text books.
Typical GM mentality that got them in trouble in the past and will probably happen again. They still rely on truck sales too much.

Ian. B

·
Registered
32 Posts
That's a pretty nice deal. I'm still lurking for my ELR deal. Here in Texas, the best I've seen has been $23k off before incentives. Turned in my Volt 2 weeks ago and I've already come to hate this feeling of buying gas for my other car.

I'd gladly pay $50k before incentives and the $2k charger rebate I read about earlier.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
716 Posts
Unfortunately, as I understand it, you can't select Sport throttle mapping without also getting Sport handling, which includes a Sport suspension setting, which some have described as having a "harsh" ride. Granted, maybe I'd like the Sport suspension setting. But my preference would be to allow the user to set up any combination of throttle mapping, ride firmness, etc.

Maybe in fact that is possible. If somebody knows the answer, please chime in, especially if I'm wrong about this.

Yes, the price is finally getting into a reasonable zone. But with the Gen 2 so near, I will not be buying an ELR or any other vehicle until the Gen 2 reveal has come to pass. And then it will probably be a Gen 2, most likely fully loaded. I really like a hatchback.

·
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the bad thing is.. this is a 1 year only car.. if you have ever own a 1 year owned car.. when stuff breaks its nearly impossible to fix within a reasonable price.. i will never do that again.. no matter how cheap they go on it.. my current car is a single year model in which they only had the drivetrain in the USA for a single year.. everytime i need parts.. they dont have them due to this.. because the car 1 year before me and 1 year after me.. dont work in most cases.. its really dumb... when i need something i have to special order it from the dealership and pay extra to have it and then wait while my car is in need of the part.. its just become a stupid nightmare..
Even with a beefy warranty?

·
Registered
435 Posts
The poor Viper is in the same boat, maybe ELR and Viper beancounters went to the same business school? :p

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Unfortunately, as I understand it, you can't select Sport throttle mapping without also getting Sport handling, which includes a Sport suspension setting, which some have described as having a "harsh" ride. Granted, maybe I'd like the Sport suspension setting. But my preference would be to allow the user to set up any combination of throttle mapping, ride firmness, etc.

Maybe in fact that is possible. If somebody knows the answer, please chime in, especially if I'm wrong about this.

Yes, the price is finally getting into a reasonable zone. But with the Gen 2 so near, I will not be buying an ELR or any other vehicle until the Gen 2 reveal has come to pass. And then it will probably be a Gen 2, most likely fully loaded. I really like a hatchback.
Same with the Volt. Would be nice if you could do mountain or hold sport mode but they are mutually exclusive.

·
Registered
157 Posts
My question is, has all available inventory already been distributed to dealers (i.e., did the factory only build the ELRs that were ordered), or are there still yet unshipped ELRs at the factory that dealerships won't touch with a 10-ft pole? And if Cadillac decides to release a 2015 ELR, will there be a single dealership that orders it if the MSRP isn't reduced?
I think they've all gone to dealerships, with the possible exception of the small fleet used for the test drive events in CA.

The highest vin I've seen on cars.com is 2180. About 600 have been sold through July, and as of Aug 2, 1400 were listed on cars. So under 200 of the 2180 vins are either not built or not listed on cars. My guess is that most of those are actually at dealers who aren't advertising them on cars.com. When I started tracking ELRs, the gap between high vin and (sold+listed) was much larger, and the last couple of months the number of reported sales has exceeded the drop in number listed on cars.

I suspect it's only a matter of time before the new guy at Cadillac (who apparently didn't think much of electric cars at Infiniti) officially ends any thoughts of there being a 2015.

·
Registered
475 Posts

The ELR in Sport mode is not harsh. Compared to my Volt, it still rides better even in Sport. Honestly, the suspension in Sport is hardly noticeable.

I wouldn't purchase an ELR, lease only, heck this applies to any electric car. The depreciation on electric cars is high because of the various tax credits and rebates. Upon resale they apply all of those credits and rebates to the price.

I just sold my 2012 Volt that had a MSRP of 45,450 with 21k on the odometer for 19k at CarMax. Sigh

I too, am concerned that Volt 2.0 will be substantially better than the current Volt and the ELR. This is why I went with a 2 year lease. I can pickup a new Volt (or ELR with Volt 2.0 features?) in two years.

I cannot stress enough when it comes to electric cars...leasing is the way to go. Let the financing company take the massive hit in depreciation.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I think they've all gone to dealerships, with the possible exception of the small fleet used for the test drive events in CA.

The highest vin I've seen on cars.com is 2180. About 600 have been sold through July, and as of Aug 2, 1400 were listed on cars. So under 200 of the 2180 vins are either not built or not listed on cars. My guess is that most of those are actually at dealers who aren't advertising them on cars.com. When I started tracking ELRs, the gap between high vin and (sold+listed) was much larger, and the last couple of months the number of reported sales has exceeded the drop in number listed on cars.

I suspect it's only a matter of time before the new guy at Cadillac (who apparently didn't think much of electric cars at Infiniti) officially ends any thoughts of there being a 2015.
I doubt that the head of Cadillac has that authority. Sure, he could recommend it, but he simply does not have the power to cancel models himself.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts