GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SoooOOOO I'd first like to say I've been tracking this car for years and its been an amazing and lesson learning trial over this year watching what's gone on with my beloved car. I totally get what GM was trying to do with the ELR and its target audience. I think the Super Bowl commercial basically sums it up. This is totally a niche car and for a certain type of guy, the one depicted in the actual commercial haha. What they failed to understand though, is that guy on the commercial got that nice house with that amazing view by making strategic and smart money decisions. That guy may have made financial mistakes early on in life but has learned from those mistakes and matured and would not let his emotions over take pure rational financial sense. Don't get me wrong if any car based on "look and feel" could make someone make a rash knee jerk decision its the ELR, especially after waiting sooo long for debut.

I would've been in that boat for sure. I planned a trip in January 2013 to go to the Detroit auto show in person just to see it. Many of us did. It was an amazing display. Luckily for me i was barred from buying due to more important financial matters and was forced to wait almost another year and finally purchased today. I'm aware of all the CUE system bugs and the like but really just want great music and a quiet ride. I had owned a 2008 CTS before and loved it so im extremely happy with the upgrades at my price point. I test drove Audi A7, Tesla, and Jaquar XJ and at low $50K with no money down its a better deal to me.

I picked my ELR up in Arlington, VA at Lindsay Cadillac. It was please working with Tom and the sales guy there as they put up with my Cars.COM research and it helped to shave another $3K off the price. I used a quote which was the second lowest on Cars.com without tax credit applied. The details of my whole weekend of haggling and negotiating are below. I want to give as much info possible for anyone else thinking about purchasing. First The Lease is definitely over! I have leased my last 2 vehicles a 2008 CTS and 2010 Regal turbo and was only looking at the ELR lease but to my dismay this was not an option. I contacted Moore Cadillac in Chantilly, va , Lindsay Cadillac in Arlington, va and Eric Von Cadillac in Wisconsin..

The details of the deals are here. I post this just to let you know with little hassling the dealers seem to respect Cars.com and the quotes on there. The mid-west may have more lee way because of the zip code or something. We weren't really able to figure out why an ELR in Wisconsin costs $6K less than the DC area but it indeed does. After shipping its a little less. Anyway I was able to use the Wisconsin rate to knock another $3K off of the original Lindsay deal. At first we were about $6,000 a part and agreed to meet in the middle. I went as far as having the Wisconsin deal faxed to me and was looking at shipping companies just to show the guys I would have the car shipped here. I would've totally alienated people that I would've been having to deal with for servicing and car washing, and most importantly car charging at the dealership down the street.

I ended up going with Lindsay Cadillac even though it wasn't the best deal because it was the Silver with Black interior and the dealership is 1 mile away. I live in a condo and wont be able to charge except for at dealership for free so it just made since. The Moore Cadillac deal honestly was and still is almost too good to be true for someone looking for a Black ELR with adaptive cruise. I believe if Cadillac advertised these deals online the rest would sell out pretty quickly. Most of the dealerships in the DC metro are down to their last 1 or 2. The ones that are left are almost all Black or Red with adaptive cruise.

The first day in the car has been really interesting. I've had 2 grown men gush with joy and amazement at the look and feel of the car. I live in Arlington, VA and have yet to see one on the road and knowing that there are only a few left to be purchased around me makes me feel even better honestly. I work in Rockville, Md and commute there atleast 3 times a week and have yet to see one on my commute or at work. This in itself is priceless because it seems only the people here realize that this car still exists. The public has no clue about this car it seems and finance people either. Many banks that i talked to for financing cause of a fraud alert on my credit was like is this a scam. How can a car with MSRP at 77K be sold this cheaply.. So i told the whole interesting story of the ELR over and over to atleast 5 bankers. I ended up getting a great finance deal also practically interest free. They realize that with a price drop there is little room for the ELR to drop and its inconceivable it will drop to low 40's anytime soon brand new. Atleast im hoping. Women and men love this car. Ive heard sleek, sexy, futuristic, cool and tons of other compliments just by having parked in the front of my condo community. The property manager literally wants to have it pictured in the website for our condo building and a 50+ grown man asked for a ride to the suburbs some day soon just to be in it. lol nuts ...

======---------------------========
Moore Cadillac - MSRP $79,910 - $30,261 off
$57,149 with GM Loyalty
$49,649 after tax rebate $7500

Andrew at Moore - (703) 674-5900
============================

=======--------------------========
Lindsay Cadillac - MSRP $77,690 - $27190 off
$58,000 with GM Loyalty
$50,500 after tax rebate $7500

Tom at Lindsay - (703) 647-8891
=============================

=======--------------------========
Eric Von Cadillac - MSRP $79,685 - $30,679 off
$56,506 - with GM Loyalty
$49,006 - after tax rebate $7500

Terry at Eric Von 877-770-9941
============================

·
Registered
679 Posts
Why GM didn't price the ELR right @ around $56900, I will never know. They would have sold so many more, why price it with Tesla's when it is not in Tesla power territory.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Congrads on your new ELR. I brought mine home a week ago. Lucky for me, I got one of the last leases. Every now and then I still go out to the garage just to look at it and see if it is for real.

·
Registered
114 Posts
It draws a crowd everywhere I go! It gets more attention that a tesla I bet! I overheard some people in the parking lot when I had the windows down say, he look here comes batman. Kids have said hey MR your car looks like it is from outer space. And at the car wash today as soon as it came out the the tunnel and they opened the doors two guys walked up to it and one turned to the other and said it looked like a Rolls Royce inside.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Congrats. I'm sure it's a great car and that you'll enjoy it.

The only thing holding me back is that I've seen the next generation Volt and it looks better overall (I liked the ELR front better), it's larger, and it will cost a lot less. This isn't BTW a knock on the ELR. It's a fantastic looking car. The Volt just really has been improved.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
So the guy that bought the ELR is simply smarter than the guy that bought the Volt? Don't think that's a good explanation. One could argue that considering the price of the ELR vs Volt and the differences in the cars, he's still making those financial mistakes.

·
Registered
13,560 Posts
Thanks for supplying your pricing info. I was looking at an ELR over thanksgiving, and am still holding out for an even better price. I just hope not too many of us ELR fans pull the trigger too soon as I want ample supply to keep the prices down and the dealerships desperate.

So no pics?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Hope to see you in MD!

Congrats. elrIQ. We've never had an ELR owner stop by one of our meetups (just dealers). Hopefully you'll be the first. Check us out at www.mdvolt.org. I'm lining up an event in Laurel, MD in Feb. which I will post soon.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Congratulations! I saw my first ELR while in Oranga County CA on travel and they are indeed visually striking.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Just now did a Quick Search for ELRs on Cars.com within 30 miles of my area code, 33315.
5 hits, ranging from $81k to $75k.
Seems like full stikker price to me, then some.
Where is the deals and the discounts?
Not really in the market, BUT for a super hot price and if all the moons and stars were aligned, and if red with a light cashmere interior, etc, I would jump. Hot looking cars..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just now did a Quick Search for ELRs on Cars.com within 30 miles of my area code, 33315.
5 hits, ranging from $81k to $75k.
Seems like full stikker price to me, then some.
Where is the deals and the discounts?
Not really in the market, BUT for a super hot price and if all the moons and stars were aligned, and if red with a light cashmere interior, etc, I would jump. Hot looking cars..
For some reason, they don't actually list the reduced prices. After hearing about some of the great deals people were getting, a friend and I went to the local dealership. They were all listed at $76k to $82k. After a test drive, we came back and the saleswoman said she had a surprise for us...and that the prices were all reduced to $51k to $57k (which is the price range I was expecting to see). We didn't have to ask, haggle, etc. We didn't buy...but were amazed they would wait to let us know about the price reductions. Perhaps they don't want to cheapen the brand.

BTW, those prices are before the federal and state tax credits...so in Colorado, it could effectively lower the price down to $38k to $44k.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Congratulations on your ELR. I hope to see you gilding about NoVA sometime.

Re the condo situation, I'd say you have at least a small amount of negotiation leverage if they want to depict the condo with your car at the enterance for advertizing purposes. If your not greedy, you might ask that you have access to, or have them put in a 120 outlet on a light pole on the outskirts of the parking lot where the spaces are usually always available, or to dedicate a spot for you, for the use of your car in the brochure or other materials. Offer to add $25 bucks a month or something reasonable to your condo fee and you'd be in like Flynn if they took you up on it.

But if a mile and a half walk to and from Lindsey is good exercise and acceptable, good for you to get the deal and to be able to charge there.

If I could afford the good deal I'd make good use of the info you posted, that's for sure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
So the guy that bought the ELR is simply smarter than the guy that bought the Volt? Don't think that's a good explanation. One could argue that considering the price of the ELR vs Volt and the differences in the cars, he's still making those financial mistakes.
no definitely not smarter... That's where a thing called "swagger" comes into play. its "A person's style- they way they walk, talk, dress, drive". As swagger goes UP unfortunately prices generally go UP. When you show up at the business meeting, night club or country club in a Volt versus the ELR aka the "Bat mobile"... that's the price difference every person has to decide on for themselves, even at 80K.. swagger + business acumen = no volt.. the effective cost after gas/business savings + look and feel., its a no brainer.

instantly this car will make me the talk of the town at all the aforementioned places. at my Christmas party last night the 2 managing partners of my company who know ive been waiting for years for this car left the party to get a joy ride.. unfortunately in our society things like this sell success which help in business. that's what i mean by what GM was trying to show with the super bowl commercial. the guy in the commercial wouldn't be caught dead in a Volt... DEFINITELY not to knock volt owners.. you can definitely drive a volt and be much much more successful than the business type depicted in the super commercial. that's really the millionaire next door type of guy, not the guy living on the Hollywood hills in the commercial haha. i know because i work for one of them.

one of the managing partners of the company i work for has been driving a Prius for years and he's a millionaire atleast 15 times over lol. I dont knock him at all because swagger doesn't apply in his world. he has his wife and kids and millionaire dollar engineering company. it does apply in mine however as im a lot younger and trying to make a way for myself with a lot of success so far that i want to keep a upwards trajectory.., my fiancé not pictured here, is still not over how sexy the car is... that's all she keeps saying even at breakfast this morning.. and she says "its so you" .. which makes me feel good because apparently she thinks im sexy also and now i have a car to match lol. the funny thing is since ive been driving my 2004 jeep grand Cherokee overland with 239,000 miles on it for the year+ we've been dating while waiting on this car she's been a trooper. she never called it sexy though but its still trucking perfectly fine..the airbag makes a farting noise after i cut the car off, i cant open her door half the time cause none of my remote key locks work anymore. the ELR she calls her new car is kind of a gift more so for her as im going to be commuting in her 2012 CRZ keeping mileage down while i research public charging options around us..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Thanks for supplying your pricing info. I was looking at an ELR over thanksgiving, and am still holding out for an even better price. I just hope not too many of us ELR fans pull the trigger too soon as I want ample supply to keep the prices down and the dealerships desperate.

So no pics?
so i would definitely have a PIC for you but unfortunately i don't have the car at the moment :(((((
big <<<SIGH>>>

on the way to my Christmas party last night on 395 north almost nearing the Pentagon my EV miles ran out after joy riding all day.. I was like ok cool ELR is reporting 221 range left on a full tank of gas and no problem i can charge a little while at the station next to my office in Rockville.. after hitting 0 on the EV the Car basically stopped responding.. the engine light came on and i slowly smooth glided to the emergency lane on the side of the interstate ! funny thing is i actually appreciated and noticed how delicately/smooth my beloved car shut down on me.. :( that's a damn shame... me and my fiancé set on the side of the road freezing for 30 minutes trying to press every button in the car like some magic button would make everything better.. i called the dealership and dealer and got a hold of both of them told them the horror story and was kindly given and transferred to On star -> Cadi road side assistance. The outlook was over 1 hr for a tow truck so i decided to jog 2 miles back to my house in coat & tie in the freezing cold. i ended up catching a cab with about .5 miles left.. on recollection i wonder if uber would have come to my location probably. so long story short the car set there for about 4 hrs as i left it on the side of the road to go to xmas party and the first tow truck couldn't tow it because the doors locked even though i thought i left it open with keys inside. after party got back to the car with other set of keys and it would not unlock... onstart remote unlock also didn't work while i was at the party.. i didn't have the elr book in the car or with me to see the manual unlocking option.... but the car is back at Lindsay.. they called me at 8:00 am sounding really confused.. i was like yea me too im clueless here.. i was hoping could've been something super simple like a dead battery or something since its probably never been driven on gas power only EV.. but i have no clue if that makes any sense. it seems like a simple fault tolerance design wouldn't let a EV car start if the back up battery is dead! im sure one of you guys know !! also thanks everyone for congratulating me! im really hoping at this point i can get the car back soon but they are talking a loaner car now which makes my stomach churn.. i fell in love with that car.. My million next door boss tried to calm my nerves by explaining the System Engineering Bathtub curve.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathtub_curve

he was like the car will be fine.. don't worry things fail a lot in the beginning but smooth out over time until end of life

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Congratulations on your ELR. I hope to see you gilding about NoVA sometime.

Re the condo situation, I'd say you have at least a small amount of negotiation leverage if they want to depict the condo with your car at the enterance for advertizing purposes. If your not greedy, you might ask that you have access to, or have them put in a 120 outlet on a light pole on the outskirts of the parking lot where the spaces are usually always available, or to dedicate a spot for you, for the use of your car in the brochure or other materials. Offer to add $25 bucks a month or something reasonable to your condo fee and you'd be in like Flynn if they took you up on it.

But if a mile and a half walk to and from Lindsey is good exercise and acceptable, good for you to get the deal and to be able to charge there.

If I could afford the good deal I'd make good use of the info you posted, that's for sure.
not so bad in the spring and summer:) but i bought with the intention to move to a place next year where I can have EV ! that's a big part of the financial reasoning to spend so much for this car for sure... :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
For some reason, they don't actually list the reduced prices. After hearing about some of the great deals people were getting, a friend and I went to the local dealership. They were all listed at $76k to $82k. After a test drive, we came back and the saleswoman said she had a surprise for us...and that the prices were all reduced to $51k to $57k (which is the price range I was expecting to see). We didn't have to ask, haggle, etc. We didn't buy...but were amazed they would wait to let us know about the price reductions. Perhaps they don't want to cheapen the brand.

BTW, those prices are before the federal and state tax credits...so in Colorado, it could effectively lower the price down to $38k to $44k.
Judging from the amount of people in 24hrs who have never heard of or seen this car I would not be surprised if there are wealthy people who walk in a dealership, see the sticker price love how the car looks and buy it out right! There's basically no reason to advertise these great deals... i think Cadillac kind of knows if they rolled this out on Cadillac.com or via commercial they could sell the rest of the lot rather quickly. its already to the point where deals are starting to be too good to be true for what they deemed a $75K+ car..

1 - 20 of 46 Posts