GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
GM Media Release 11/13/2013

DETROIT – The Cadillac ELR will be Smart Grid ready as soon as it comes off the production line. Using the luxury coupe’s extended range electric vehicle technology combined with OnStar’s cloud-based connection, the ELR will be able to communicate with the electric grid and potentially save energy.

ELR owners will have access to the OnStar RemoteLink Mobile App, which in addition to allowing drivers to check their vehicle’s operating systems and send remote commands, gives them access to electric vehicle specific functions. The EV-tailored app shows owners their vehicle’s current state of charge, electric range, electric miles driven and eMPG, or equivalency of electric miles per gallon.

The RemoteLink Mobile App also will allow ELR owners to control and schedule vehicle charging, including an option to charge during off-peak hours when electricity rates are lowest.

In addition to the RemoteLink app available today, OnStar is an enabler for solutions that may benefit drivers in the future.

“While RemoteLink is really our first Smart Grid service to be available for consumers, the same connection we use to enable the app’s EV functions can be used to open the door for more energy cost and load control benefits,” said Russ Eling, manager, Smart Grid and EV Services, General Motors.

OnStar has four unique Smart Grid APIs, or Application Programming Interfaces, that utilities and third-party companies can work with to develop real-world solutions for the ELR:
◾Demand response – This future service connects utilities to companies that have intelligent energy management products, allowing OnStar to manage energy use for ELR customers who opt in for the service. Benefits include saving money on energy costs and enabling more efficient use of the electric grid.
◾Time-of-Use rates – OnStar can receive dynamic time-of-use pricing from utilities and notify ELR owners of the rate plan offers via email. Owners would be able to use OnStar to load the rate plans directly into their vehicle and access them to schedule charging during lower-rate periods.
◾Charging data – OnStar can send and receive EV data including location-based EV data that identifies charging locations and determines potential load scenarios.
◾Aggregated services – This solution allows electric service providers to manage the charging of participating vehicles in a given geographic area, with customer consent. This includes the ability to control charging on a large amount of EVs simultaneously. These services could potentially result in a more efficient use of clean energy.

An example of an aggregated service solution would be charging with renewable energy. A regional transmission organization would send OnStar a signal letting it know that renewable energy is available on the electric grid. OnStar then uses this signal to manage the charging of one or multiple EVs in order to utilize the available renewable energy.

OnStar recently partnered with TimberRock Energy Solutions, Inc. using Demand Response to aid with TimberRock’s ability to store and charge with solar energy. OnStar’s Smart Grid research is made possible by the U.S. Department of Energy.

ELR owners will get access to OnStar services like Turn-by-Turn Navigation, Hands-Free Calling, Vehicle Diagnostics, Automatic Crash Response and Stolen Vehicle Assistance.

OnStar’s premium Directions & Connection package comes standard on the Cadillac ELR for one year.

About Cadillac
Cadillac has been a leading luxury auto brand since 1902. Today Cadillac is growing globally, driven by an expanding product portfolio featuring dramatic design and technology. More information on Cadillac appears at www.cadillac.com. Cadillac's media website with information, images and video can be found at media.cadillac.com.

http://media.gm.com/content/media/us/en/cadillac/vehicles/elr/2014.html

http://media.gm.com/content/media/u...ntent/Pages/news/us/en/2013/Nov/1119-elr.html

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
The ELR may be ready but will OnStar be ready? They can not provide services reliably to the Volt today.
OnStar RemoteLink is way better than it was 6 mos ago when I first used it. I have not had a connection failure for a month.

It still needs some improvement though. Why dosen't it use https or WiFi for example? It takes forever in modern response times to do a remote start.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Cool. Will this functionality be added to the Volt, along with V2H app? I don't think ELR owners, in general, will care a whole lot about getting a few bucks back from the utility provider and many probably have whole house emergency backup generators. Other automaker's are realizing this potential value to plug-ins. Hopefully GM can see it soon too.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Cool. Will this functionality be added to the Volt, along with V2H app? I don't think ELR owners, in general, will care a whole lot about getting a few bucks back from the utility provider and many probably have whole house emergency backup generators. Other automaker's are realizing this potential value to plug-ins. Hopefully GM can see it soon too.
I'd expect at least half of them to care about helping to improve the operation of the electrical grid.

GM won't allow you to default 120V charging to 12A. I doubt you'll see V2H.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
OnStar RemoteLink is way better than it was 6 mos ago when I first used it. I have not had a connection failure for a month.
I would have agreed with you ... until last week. RemoteLink on iOS is now worse than it ever was. Constant failed authentication and remote start attempts. Continually having to reenter your username (despite having the "remember username" option enabled). I wonder whether it underwent any testing whatsoever.

As to the ELR, do we know it will support the new LTE direct IP connectivity capability? Or is it still using the only "messaging" method on Verizon's business network to send commands and wait for responses from the car? This is the single biggest contributor to the slow responsiveness of OnStar.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
The RemoteLink Mobile App also will allow ELR owners to control and schedule vehicle charging, including an option to charge during off-peak hours when electricity rates are lowest.
Is this entirely true? Currently RemoteLink can enable/disable rate-scheduled vehicle charging, but it directs the user to log into the website to configure the peak, mid-peak and off-peak times. It can only set the departure time of day settings.

If the ELR really had a sophisticated charging it would have had a 7.2 kW on-board charger and a CCS plug.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have owned and driven my Volt for almost 3 years (just 1 1/2 months to go) and I have mostly loved it. One of the disappointments has been OnStar. They are mostly clueless, and it works very poorly and slowly. I just tried to connect to my app and it took about 5 min to bring the app up and another couple to get info and I'm sitting by my router with a 50 and 5 wireless connection.
the other thing GM dropped the ball on was the backup cam that takes forever to come on and with a very poor picture.
Rant over-- it has been a lot of fun owning the Volt and I look forward to seeing the next generation with many improvements.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts