1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I am just surprised why they thought this would work, when nearly the exact same recipe on the ELR didn't work...

I wouldn't mind driving one, but not for the price/performance ratio...

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
I am just surprised why they thought this would work, when nearly the exact same recipe on the ELR didn't work...

I wouldn't mind driving one, but not for the price/performance ratio...
No, it's not like the ELR at all. First, it's a big RWD sedan with luxurious rear seating.
Second, there is virtually no trunk.
Third, it's drivetrain is spastic.

The CT6 itself is a pretty sweet car. It handles very well, is very comfy, and not exactly slow. Lots of trick features. Big trunk with pass-thru. Beautiful sound system. One of the ultimate freeway cruisers, but still carves a canyon with aplomb, and deals with tight parking lots with grace due to all wheel steering, reverse AEB, and 360° view.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Lots of big problems with the CT6 plugin: No up level sound system, No AWD, No supercruise, small trunk. Overall too many compromises. This drivetrain is really for the Chinese market, hence why it is built in China.

·
Registered
267 Posts
The car has no market in the US, same as ELR.
ELR at least has a usable trunk, and fairly decent electric range. GM did a horrible job of pricing and marketing ELR. On the other hand, a fully optioned CT6 with all wheel steering and the Panaray audio system that I drove in Cleveland a few months ago was very nice.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I read the article and it reminds me of the way everyone slammed the ELR a few years ago. Honestly, I have an ELR and it has been a great car, as long as you use the back seat for kids. If you need something to transport six full-grown adults, you don't by an ELR. I'm going to wait till I get a chance to drive a CT6 Hybrid (or even see one) before I make up my own mind and not let someone online tell me whether I'd like it or not.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Dear Cadillac. I won't buy a Cadillac built in China or Mexico. I know you don't care, because only the Chinese market matters now.

·
Registered
14,009 Posts
I regret buying my volt as I should have foreseen the ELR plummet in price. In 2015, some lucky buyer on this forum reported getting one new for under $40K. I’m already seeing CT6 plugins at $10-13K off with one forum member reporting $15K off MSRP before tax credits and state rebates. I still can’t get on in IL, so the nearest official dealership requires a plane flight or drive to Atlanta. Knock $20-30K office price, and I’d happily live with the small trunk, no AWD and no Panaray sound system

·
4,881 Posts
I read the article and it reminds me of the way everyone slammed the ELR a few years ago. Honestly, I have an ELR and it has been a great car, as long as you use the back seat for kids. If you need something to transport six full-grown adults, you don't by an ELR. I'm going to wait till I get a chance to drive a CT6 Hybrid (or even see one) before I make up my own mind and not let someone online tell me whether I'd like it or not.
Hey Rick, what color is your ELR?

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Things he didn't get:

1. Thirty miles of electric miles can be more than enough for most of use on most days. I'd probably be all electric for 330 out of 365 days. This should be obvious but the reviewer is thinking that you go 500 miles every time you get into your car. He just plain missed this rather obvious point though perhaps he should be cut some slack because it's such a common error. (The other thing these guys ALWAYS get wrong is worrying about how long it takes to completely recharge a battery from flat to full. If you're driving 30 miles a day the only time that matter is how long it takes to charge 10 kWh.)

2. The second point is related to the first. If you're not using the gas on the vast majority of days, it doesn't matter much what your MPG is on the days you do use it. Just. Doesn't. Matter. In total you're going to get 80 to 100 MPG no matter what the MPG is.

Things I can't comment about:

1. He says the additional weight in the back throws off the handling. No idea if this is right or wrong but I was thinking that for a RWD car with an engine in the front compartment, having more weight in the rear and a stiffer chassis would be a good thing.

Things he missed:

1. The 0-60 time isn't far off the Model S and it won't be propulsion reduced after half a lap at Laguna Secco.

2. I'd definitely pay for infrared night vision. I wouldn't need it often but one bad experience with ground fog can ruin your life.

3. The price is actually quite good compared to the rest of the trim levels if you consider the tax credit (and in places like CA other credits).

On my downside list, which he mentioned, I'm just not crazy about a big sedan and I'd have to say that the trunk is too small. I'd also love to have Super Cruise but it wouldn't be a total deal breaker for me since ACC works quite well.

·
Registered
14,009 Posts
Things he didn't get:

1. Thirty miles of electric miles can be more than enough for most of use on most days. I'd probably be all electric for 330 out of 365 days. This should be obvious but the reviewer is thinking that you go 500 miles every time you get into your car. He just plain missed this rather obvious point though perhaps he should be cut some slack because it's such a common error. (The other thing these guys ALWAYS get wrong is worrying about how long it takes to completely recharge a battery from flat to full. If you're driving 30 miles a day the only time that matter is how long it takes to charge 10 kWh.)

2. The second point is related to the first. If you're not using the gas on the vast majority of days, it doesn't matter much what your MPG is on the days you do use it. Just. Doesn't. Matter. In total you're going to get 80 to 100 MPG no matter what the MPG is.

Things I can't comment about:

1. He says the additional weight in the back throws off the handling. No idea if this is right or wrong but I was thinking that for a RWD car with an engine in the front compartment, having more weight in the rear and a stiffer chassis would be a good thing.

Things he missed:

1. The 0-60 time isn't far off the Model S and it won't be propulsion reduced after half a lap at Laguna Secco.

2. I'd definitely pay for infrared night vision. I wouldn't need it often but one bad experience with ground fog can ruin your life.

3. The price is actually quite good compared to the rest of the trim levels if you consider the tax credit (and in places like CA other credits).

On my downside list, which he mentioned, I'm just not crazy about a big sedan and I'd have to say that the trunk is too small. I'd also love to have Super Cruise but it wouldn't be a total deal breaker for me since ACC works quite well.
I’m getting one if:

1. They are still around when I have the cash to buy one
2. Nothing better comes along that changes my mind
3. After the mortgage is paid off

Things I wish:

1. They put the same drivetrain into a big 2 door coupe such as an updated XLR

DonC, please don’t kill me for:

1. Poking fun of your numbering scheme
2. Creeping up on your post count
3. Being the greenback troll that I am

1 - 12 of 12 Posts