GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a couple of Gen 1 Volts and an ELR and did have to install the Cabin Air filter myself. EZ. Just did it in my 2015 last month...

Just picked up a Gen 2 Premier yesterday and the Owner's Manual talks about it on p. 162 as if it's there already. For Gen 2's the book says to completely remove the Glove Compartment and then it's more like a Gen 1 install. My issue is, I'm too lazy to take the Glove Comp out to look.

Does anyone know if Chev included this for the Gen 2's??? Amazon shows AC Delco CF185 GM Original Equipment Cabin Air Filter for $15.09 which is slightly different than the Gen 1 filter.

Thanks,
Dickee

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
It was the first thing that I checked when I got my 2017. I was surprised to find that the cabin air filter was already installed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks... Now I have to install my deflectors front and rear, the deflector under the bumper, the liners for all the cup holders, put together the air pump and the goo stuff into the handy black bag and put that into the trunk area as well as install my license plate bracket (I live in NE with 2 plates). I'm too tired to pull the Glove Comp apart too.
BTW, the 17 is a very nice step up from the Gen 1 but you know that!!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes, the CF185 is the filter. Watch out for the higher-resistance carbon-impregnated filters (such as POTAUTO MAP 1021C from Amazon) - the Volt's fan just isn't able to cope with them. I tried one and had to send it back as there just wasn't enough air coming through even with the fan speed cranked up. And, yes, it was inserted correctly. RockAuto also has the OEM filter for about $16 shipped.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I've had a couple of Gen 1 Volts and an ELR and did have to install the Cabin Air filter myself. EZ. Just did it in my 2015 last month...

Just picked up a Gen 2 Premier yesterday and the Owner's Manual talks about it on p. 162 as if it's there already. For Gen 2's the book says to completely remove the Glove Compartment and then it's more like a Gen 1 install. My issue is, I'm too lazy to take the Glove Comp out to look.

Does anyone know if Chev included this for the Gen 2's??? Amazon shows AC Delco CF185 GM Original Equipment Cabin Air Filter for $15.09 which is slightly different than the Gen 1 filter.

Thanks,
Dickee
If one is lazy and does not want to check, how are they to know that the air filter was not included?. Is there some written note indicating that the owner must add the air filter? I may be naive, but it seems to me that the air filter should be installed, like the oil filter or gas filter. Am I expecting too much from GM?

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
If one is lazy and does not want to check, how are they to know that the air filter was not included?. Is there some written note indicating that the owner must add the air filter? I may be naive, but it seems to me that the air filter should be installed, like the oil filter or gas filter. Am I expecting too much from GM?
Maybe you are, the Gen 1 Volts came from the factory with a slot for the cabin air filter, but no filter installed. The only way to know that it was not installed was to open the door to the slot and see that there was no filter. There were no notes to be found. Maybe it was supposed to be a dealer installed item, but I don't think many (maybe none) were delivered with the filter already installed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Richie, your response is opposite of another gentleman's. Sounds like your 16 Volt did NOT have a filter while someone's 2017 Volt did. Looks like I'm just going to have to look myself.
Thanks again,

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK update... I got over the laziness and took the Glove Comp out. Yes, there is a filter in the 2017 Volt Premier version which matches TSquare's response. Not sure about the 2016 models, but I do know that the Gen 1's did NOT have it nor did my 2014 ELR. Happy to see it included now...
Thank you

·
Registered
9 Posts
Has anyone found a good carbon HVAC filter that will work for the Gen 2 Volts? I was searching the forums and came across a few examples of people getting certain carbon cabin filters to work well in their Gen 1's, but not a lot of talk about the Gen 2's.

Apparently there was a Chevy bulletin (16-NA-127) that was in response to cutting down on the engine 'burn off smell' in a brand new Volt, and it mentioned that there was a carbon impregnated HVAC filter you could have replaced that would fit in the Gen 2's, and that would presumably help with the smell. BUT, it also was amended to say that the new (carbon) filter could cause poor air flow and could fog up the side windows.

I wanted to see if any of you have tried that replacement carbon filter (is there a part number for the carbon one out there?) or if you have found an alternative carbon filter that could be used in place of that and would fit in the car.

Not too concerned about any burn-off smell, I'm actually just after something that will filter the air a bit better than a standard particulate air filter. I have allergies and unfortunately my daily commute is crammed and very slow-going. My friend who was in a similar position (not with a Volt) recently got a carbon air filter and has been singing it's praises, that kind of spurned me on to see if there is one out there that would work in a Gen 2.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Is there any trick to removing the 2nd gen glovebox, or maybe a write up someone can point me to?

I took out all the obvious screws, but the glovebox didn't come out. At that point we needed to leave so I put it all together again to try another day.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Nevermind.... p 162 or so in the owner manual says it all. I didn't find it at first because I was searching for cabin air filter. That page in the manual refers to passenger compartment air filter.

·
Registered
2016 Volt Premier, delivered Oct/15
637 Posts
Cabin air filter after 1 year

Had mine changed last week as part of the annual maintenance. I saw the old one, it was completely black ( road dust/tire/pavement dust?). Car had 17,000 km on it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
So I just pulled the glovebox on my 2017 Premier and I was pleased to confirm that the cabin air filter is akready there.

The 5 hex head screws needed a 7mm socket to remove them. One of them is sort of hidden by the plastic cover on the right side....just pull it to release it unscrew away.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts