GM Volt Forum banner

CA green HOV stickers, what is the latest news?

7K views 32 replies 14 participants last post by  Optimist 
#1 ·
I thought Brown was going to include an extension of the stickers with the new budget, but doesn't appear so. I can't find much in terms of newsworthy info. Anyone know anything regarding the stickers?

#2 ·
Nothing noteworthy as of yet.

Link to Bill in the Assembly:
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billStatusClient.xhtml?bill_id=201520160AB1964

It looks like as of this month it is in the Appropriations committee in the "Suspense" file.

They amended it recently to try and extend the sunset date for Green HOV stickers, changed the percentage of auto sales before sunsetting and changed some various lawyer lingo as well. That is the gist that I got.

I am eagerly awaiting this too as I definitely need HOV access to help on my work commute. If they do not pass this, the Volt will probably turn into a Bolt/Tesla 3/200 Mile EV.

I love the Volt though.....so hopefully this passes :)

#5 ·
Having green stickers wouldn't be that big of a benefit to me on my commute, but I'm still hopeful they pass the bill. I submitted my paperwork...we'll see what happens.

#8 ·
My understanding is that the green stickers will be gone forever in 2019, unless the legislature takes additional action. This would be similar to when they phased out the yellow stickers. There is no end date for the white (all electric) stickers.

#12 ·
Two more rounds of readings, updates and voting.
Currently they are modifying how long a sticker is valid after purchase.
Last edit was to change from three years to four years. Ultimately ending either 2025 or when total sales exceeds 9.2% for two years

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#15 ·
Gov has until the 30th to sign if it passed third reading today. SB838 removes cap and limits ulev vehicles to 2019 where AB1964 allows for those who buy closer to the 2019 deadline to get four years of sticker use as well as capping benefit based on income (i.e. Sticker or rebate, not both depending on income level).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#17 ·
Right - so does that mean the cap is lifted regardless of which one gets signed first? If both AB1964 and SB838... I was wondering because SB838 is already in front of the governor to sign (given to him on 8/26)... so theoretically he has to either has to veto, sign, or "let it timeout" - with the last two resulting in it becoming law. The part I was unclear on was that normally when a bill is sent to the governor, he has 12 days to sign/veto. However, when the session ends (which I think was Aug 31).

#19 · (Edited)
GREEN HOV STICKERS:
Assembly Bill No. 1964, was within a day of passing to be sent to the Govenor to be signed into law,,,,only "Politics" can explain
why it didn't happen by the close of the Legislature on August 31.
Senate Bill No. 838, a much more complex bill which includes the language that will provide for the issuing of more
"Green HOV Sticker",,,has passed and is on the Governors desk waiting to be signed. He is an advocate of the increase in the HOV stickers But, this bill is loaded with other legislative provisions which could be a compromise to his intentions. The loading of this Bill, SB 838, as contrasted with the realitive straight up provisions in AB 1964, probably explains why AB 1964, was ignored at the last minute of this Legislative session. The "Gang" knows what other things they want and they know what the Governor wants and they hope he will say Yes to their political plans, by signing this Bill, SB 838.
My understanding is that he must act by no latter then Tueday, September 6, 2016,(Sign OR Veto).

#20 ·
AB1964 was opposed by PIA (Plug In America) a lobbying group that strongly supports only BEVs to the exclusion of PHEV and EREV vehicles. They felt it too strongly favored green stickers over white. I think that's what killed it.

#21 · (Edited)
#22 ·
That for the assembly bill. The budget trailer is still on the gov's desk. From the article:

There is a budget trailer bill supported by Gov. Jerry Brown that includes a proposal to eliminate the cap on green stickers altogether while retaining the Jan. 1, 2019 expiration date for both green and white stickers

#23 ·
We may have more "Green HOV Stickers" as early as Today, September 6, 2016.

The Governor is expected to sign into law SB No. 838, which among other things provides for Unlimited Stickers
( not entirely unlimited but unlimited for all practical purposes for several more years) at least until 2019.

Keep watching,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

#26 ·
I'd love to get a green sticker on my 2017 Volt. But if you believe the Mercury News article, more cars in the carpool lane may not be such a great thing: "But average speeds on nearly half of the Bay Area’s 420 miles of carpool lanes are under 45 mph, failing to meet federal performance standards."

#28 ·
Slowdowns in my area are mostly due to poor drivers, and more traffic than the motor ways even have capacity for. These are simply my daily observations, and not cast in stone or representative of any area outside the bay area. Clearly nothing will ever be done about lack of infrastructure, and it will only get worse. More and more people moving to and being born in the same congested areas. The population grows, as well as jobs, housing and stores, but it's all in the same compacted areas, while infrastructure stays the same as it was 60 years ago.

They'd rather text, eat, and chat on the phone than drive. Add to that : People going down the on-ramp at 45mph, and moving all the way to the left lane before even considering speeding up. Brilliant. Going 45mph while dragging your brakes into traffic averaging 70 is not merging. Then you've got the left lane campers, that want to go 10 under in the left most lane, and traffic slows as everybody tries to get around the oblivious slow poke. I can't even count the number of times I've seen these types, and if they simply moved over one lane to their right, would allow traffic to move along without issues. It's especially odd considering they're going the same speed as the people in the next lane or two over. Personally, I like being in the lane where others are going the same speed. Makes the drive much easier.

I don't get the complaints about the HOV "cheaters". Maybe it's different where others are at, but I only see cheaters using it to pass packs of left lane campers, and to generally go fast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.