GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, looking to grab a new 2014 Volt and get the year end deals + the tax credit. There are 15k more green HOV stickers being issued Jan 1, 2015. Wondering how I can find out what the backlog is of registered cars already in the cue to get one of the 15k. I'm hesitant to buy the car and not be able to get the sticker. I have an hour long commute so the HOV access is a must.

Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
85 Posts
They ran out of the original 40k in late April (when I got my Volt), then 2 months later they issued 15k more which ran out in September. So I'd say they get scooped up at the rate of maybe 2.5k a month, so half might be spoken for by Jan 1st. Just my best guess, good luck.

·
Registered
316 Posts
All of Momentum's (San Jose) 2014 Volts have HOV stickers already.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was in the same dilemma, i would not risk it unless you do not mind having a volt without HOV stickers.

Take a gander at my thread here. I did the math and if its right you will be pushing the limits of around potentially 14k stickers at the rate it was going before.

I ended up returning my new purchase and getting a used volt with stickers already. I found a 2012 premium package with stickers and 19k miles for $19,000. Way better than buying new anyday.

·
Registered
383 Posts
That's one thing that basically sucks about the program - being impossible to remove without destroying them aside, the stickers should at least be transferable to a brand new qualifying vehicle. Early adopters paid a premium for our cars in many instances (I certainly did on my LEAF, even if I got a great deal on my Volt 3 years later) and we should be allowed to retain that benefit as we update. Besides which, it keeps us interested in new vehicles rather than settling for pre-owned, which helps the economy.

After all, the used car buyer is, presumably, already getting a great deal based on the depreciation hit we've had to take as first owners, so why should they also get our HOV decals? Damn them, I say!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Does momentum still employ three Volt certified technicians? I had driven there for their Volt day and met GM engineers there. They are very dedicated to the Volt.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Does momentum still employ three Volt certified technicians? I had driven there for their Volt day and met GM engineers there. They are very dedicated to the Volt.
Don't know...They move a LOT of Volts and I would not be surprised. They have at least one....

·
Registered
675 Posts
Wondering how I can find out what the backlog is of registered cars already in the cue to get one of the 15k.
Another thread yields the number for the DMV processing unit: 916-657-8035. If you get an answer, let us know.

I think it's likely you will get a sticker. If DMV had continued to issue stickers at the same rate after hitting 55,000, they would be hitting the 70,000 limit around Feb. 10, 2015. The sooner you buy and get your application in, the sooner you get in line for a sticker.

Once the stickers run out, I wonder how much the value of our stickered Volts will go up. :)

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Wish I had known there was a Volt Day at Momentum. It would have been fun. I've been over there a couple of times recently, including a test drive. Debating between one of their inventory cars or waiting for a 2016. Availability of the HOV sticker for a future 2016 model is definitely a risk factor in favor of getting one now.

·
Registered
675 Posts
HOV Stickers May Run Out in a Month

We're off to the races again, with the ARB announcing 56,571 stickers issued as of Jan. 6, 2015.

I attach no predictive value to that number. The dealers will pile in with mass applications for every plug-in on their lot and every undelivered one with a VIN in their computers. And DMV probably isn't caught up with their backlog of owner applications yet. So the rate should pick up, as happened when they started issuing last July, after the limit was raised to 55,000 (see graph below).

So for the time being, I'll continue to project based on the issuance rate just before the 55,000 limit. This conservatively predicts that they could run out as early as Feb. 10. That last batch might have been larger due to dealers piling in, so the stickers could last a little longer than that. Or not.

I again observe that it's a shame to allow dealers to jump ahead of retail purchasers, reap a windfall when the last sticker has been issued and they mark up their pre-stickered cars, and put stickers on cars not all of whose buyers find it an incentive. But as is all too common with government these days, it's the golden rule - them as has the gold makes the rules.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Long time lurker, first time poster here: I'm actively seeking a used Volt, hoping to have one in my hands in the next week or so. I am trying to get in on the HOV lane Solo stickers for my stupid LA commute, aside from the fact that I drove some pre-production Volts and absolutely loved them- they have been unobtanium on my budget until now.

I see that CARB has posted this recently to their site:

"As of February 3rd, 2015, the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) has issued the 58,552 Green Clean Air Vehicle decals. Assembly Bill 2013, effective January 1, 2015, authorizes DMV to issue 15,000 additional green decals, for a new maximum of 70,000."

It looks as if the rate of application/or issuance has slowed, and this should mean I can acquire a car and apply for a HOV sticker before the next 15k run out correct?

Thanks for a forum with lots of great information for potential owners! This has been a wonderful resource and I am very excited to finally get into a Volt!

·
Registered
675 Posts
It looks as if the rate of application/or issuance has slowed, and this should mean I can acquire a car and apply for a HOV sticker before the next 15k run out correct?
The rate of issuance has slowed. It could pick up again. We don't know what the backlog is. Once it gets near 70,000 the pace will pick up.

Last month I estimated 70,000 could be reached as early as February. At the current rate it won't be for many months more. I don't feel confident making any predictions until there are a few more data points.

The safe bet is to buy from a dealer who has already obtained the sticker and gives it to you with the car.

Or you can call the DMV and ask them about the backlog. 916-657-8035 is the call center for the Special Processing Unit, among others. There's another clueful unit at 916-657-6560 but IIRC the first one is the better one. Please post anything you learn.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just called and was told that as of today they have issued 57,339 green stickers, they are currently processing applications submitted on Jan 12th, 2015.

She said a recent memo said 11,000 were still available.

FWIW

·
Registered
675 Posts
Just called and was told that as of today they have issued 57,339 green stickers, they are currently processing applications submitted on Jan 12th, 2015.

She said a recent memo said 11,000 were still available.
Interesting. The ARB website said that 58,552 were issued as of Feb. 3.

I wonder if ARB is reporting the sticker serial numbers. They run about that far ahead of the number of stickers because of replacements and spoilage.

The one month backlog is useful information. That could be anywhere from 1000 to 3000 stickers, but likely somewhere around 2000. So 11,000 still available is about right.

That would be around 5 1/2 months supply, but only very roughly.

·
Registered
675 Posts
The ARB site posted an update today - 60,537 stickers issued.

The rate has picked up a little from January, but there's a trend now:

If the rate stays the same, the last sticker will be issued around June 15. At the current month backlog, the last good application might go in around mid-May.

But the rate is a bit high by historical standards, so maybe it reflects catching up on the backlog. So the cliff might be a little further off.

All just guesses, of course.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Stupid question: Do I qualify for the sticker if I got the Volt used? The DMV mentions it was "originally available to the first 40,000 applicants that purchased or leased cars." Was wondering if anyone was able to get a sticker if they got their Volt used.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts