GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

BYD Song is China’s Model Y

Some 44.700 new EV's started zooming the Chinese streets last month, the second best month ever, with the market growing at 37% regarding the same month last year and pulling the YTD count to over 227.000 units, up 40% YoY, while regarding overall stock, a milestone has been reached, with over one million plug-ins being registered in China, from 2009 until now, the first market to reach a seven-digit figure, representing 40% of all plug-car stock in the World (Around 2.6 millions).

As consequence of all this, the PEV market share grew once again, this time to 1.6%, beating last year record (1.45%), expect that as the year progresses and sales expand, the Chinese PEV market surpasses the 2% share by year end.

This is still a highly protected market, where 93% of sales belong to domestic brands. Of the 7% left for foreign brands, 4% belong to Tesla, 2% to BMW, and the remaining 1% divided by all other auto makers. Interestingly, the Buick Velite 5 (Thinly disguised Chinese Chevrolet Volt) was for the first time the best-selling foreign nameplate in China, with 382 units.

In July the much awaited BYD Song PHEV won its first best-selling award, with over 5.000 deliveries, beating both the Zhidou D2 EV and the BAIC EC-Series, while BYD itself has beaten for the second time in a row the Manufacturers all-time sales record, by registering 11.207 units, stepping up the pace and increasing the distance to the runner-up Beijing Auto.

http://ev-sales.blogspot.com/2017/08/china-july-2017.html

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Beijing Automotive Group Co. (BAIC) (OTC:BCCMY, HK:1958), Shanghai Automotive Industry Corp. [SAIC] (CH:600104)

BAIC is currently the number 2 selling electric car manufacturer in China with 17% market share and the global number 4, with 7% market share. SAIC is ranked number 4 in China with 9% market share.

No news this month from BAIC or SAIC.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Dang that thing is ugly. The color doesn't help, but even in pretty orange there are body lines that argue with each other.

The wheels are interesting though.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
The Looks fine, I think it would be more popular style than the Bolt EV. More CUV looking. I imagine the upcoming Buick BEV CUV is targeted to that market as well as US, I hope.

However, that is the PHEV version, and for the same price as a Volt you get Model X performance. I keep saying, if you want hybrids to take over in the US they need to offer better performance. This is exactly the PHEV I want here, but manufacturers insist on making them luxury models that are too expensive in order to keep them from eroding higher profit vehicle sales.

·
Administrator
20,226 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Until the Chinese get their crash safety in order (see crash test videos of Chinese cars :( ) I won't ever buy one. Actually, I won't buy one unless they are the only ones left building cars. LOL

·
Administrator
20,226 Posts
See any air bags? Face into the steering wheel.
No big government regulation to push people around. Let the steering wheel and dash rearrange your face instead, lol.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
I didn't see any other air bags deploy. Basilar skull fractures for the wife and kids.

I guess I just got lucky when I chose that video to look at.

·
Registered
61 Posts
BYD started life as a battery maker, in fact many people own a BYD product as the battery in their cell/mobile phone. In China the cars are regarded as farmers cars and lower quality according to our guide when we visited Chine. They are using LiFePO4 chemistry and have been making Hybrid and EVs for nearly as long as GM of course Warren Buffet owns a large chunk of the company

1 - 11 of 11 Posts