GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
If you research history, you'll find the Volt prototype came first and the BYD was a hurried (and harried) copy. They sold only a few hundred of them in what was the second largest auto market and that market is semi-captive. GM is free to sell the Volt there non-punitively only if they donate their technology to the Chinese.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
If that EREV complies with Federal safety regulations, passes IIHS crash tests, and CR scrutiny, then it may sell well if the price is less than $30,000. I have bought a few electronics made in China (my latest is an universal Li-Ion battery charger), and I see that their quality is improving. They are now the largest LED producers, and many modern devices (including vehicles) use LEDs lamps from China to replace incandescent lamps. The 3.4 L V6 engine in my 2009 Chevy Equinox is made in China.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanghai_GM

Chinese products and low prices will compete against products from Japan, South Korea, and Taiwan, because their worker wages are still lower than ours and all these other Asian nations.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
I believe the Chinese are staking their future on electric vehicles as the best way to control and improve their air quality, and considering MILLIONS of folks work and live in BIG cities electric vehicles make sense.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2014/01/16/china-smog-air-pollution/4504729/

It's easier to clean up, maintain and control emissions from a few power plants than individually owned ICE vehicles and unknown state of tune/repair.

Given some of the incentives not the least of which is to break into another mainstream market worldwide (automobiles) I see them as one of the top two countries in the world that has the will and resources to create the infrastructure and manufacturing processes to cause rapid development of EV's.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Something like 75% of the electricity in China comes from coal burning plants. Most of that coal is relatively "clean", and most plants do have scrubbing capability (sulphur removal from smokestack scrubbers), but the air quality implications are still pretty severe.

Yes, reducing gas powered cars is an improvement, but the electricity generation from coal means the use of electric cars isn't as net positive (for the environment) as it could be.

It has also been suggested that China's known coal reserves are only going to last something like another 50 years at present use rates/trends.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
If you research history, you'll find the Volt prototype came first and the BYD was a hurried (and harried) copy
I know. That's why I put smiley behind it :)

They even insisted that GM gives out the Volt tech for allowing it to be sold in China. Of course GM did not agree to this.

Maybe they hacked the network to dig out some information. :)

·
Registered
977 Posts
Something like 75% of the electricity in China comes from coal burning plants. Most of that coal is relatively "clean", and most plants do have scrubbing capability (sulphur removal from smokestack scrubbers), but the air quality implications are still pretty severe.

Yes, reducing gas powered cars is an improvement, but the electricity generation from coal means the use of electric cars isn't as net positive (for the environment) as it could be.

It has also been suggested that China's known coal reserves are only going to last something like another 50 years at present use rates/trends.
Which is why they're also into nuclear in a big way, and why the US will likely be buying next-gen reactor technology from them rather than vice versa.

·
Registered
435 Posts
What about the three Gorges Dam Hydo Electric project. Supposedly, it can power San Franscisco, Las Vegas, NYC, Phildadelphia, Los Angeles and a few other big cities combined.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Maybe they hacked the network to dig out some information. :)
Given that there's almost literally nothing in common between the Qin tech and Voltec, it's highly unlikely :)

(Qin has traditional transmission, turbocharged genset, trunk-mounted battery and entirely different battery chemistry.. It's like a Nutrimatic machine's interpretation of Voltec..)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Given that there's almost literally nothing in common between the Qin tech and Voltec, it's highly unlikely :)

(Qin has traditional transmission, turbocharged genset, trunk-mounted battery and entirely different battery chemistry.. It's like a Nutrimatic machine's interpretation of Voltec..)

You get a bonus point for HHGTTG reference.

·
Administrator
20,431 Posts
Quality, longevity, warranty work, are all unknowns. If you lease, perhaps not a big deal. But I buy and hold for 10 years or 20.

On the other hand, the video shows the car has a lot of nice features. What will Consumer Reports make of it? It's an import and not a GM, so it's likely already getting high marks from CR just for that. But maybe with all the new GM cars doing well, CR will finally get off their pro-import, anti-GM bias.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Quality, longevity, warranty work, are all unknowns. If you lease, perhaps not a big deal. But I buy and hold for 10 years or 20.

On the other hand, the video shows the car has a lot of nice features. What will Consumer Reports make of it? It's an import and not a GM, so it's likely already getting high marks from CR just for that. But maybe with all the new GM cars doing well, CR will finally get off their pro-import, anti-GM bias.
As I posted before, CR may approve, but until it passes Federal regulations and the IIHS crash test, it cannot be sold in any American territory. But it can be sold where these regulations don't apply, like in a foreign country.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts