GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I go on, let me explain my backstory: I ordered a Volt from the factory back in May. The dealership where I placed the order changed owners, and all my paperwork was lost. I just finally convinced them that I had paid a deposit, and they're trying to make things right.

The problem: The Volt I ordered is long gone, assuming it was every ordered -- nobody knows! There's a car on the lot that is almost what I want. The color's not my first choice, but it's okay (Viridian Joule instead of Blue). It also has cloth seats instead of leather, which is a bigger problem for me.

The dealer is offering to have leather seats installed by a third-party company. So...is this a good idea, or should I be worried?

Normally I'd just hold off and place a new order. I'm in no rush. Except the dealer is telling me the tax incentives/0%-APR/CA-HOV decals are all going away in 2013. Is this true?

I'm supposed to meet with him this evening, so any guidance you folks can give would be appreciated!

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Get your deposit and run away ...

nothing they told you is true and I would never have aftermarket seats installed in a factory new vehicle

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would never have aftermarket seats installed in a factory new vehicle
I wouldn't have a problem with the aftermarket leather seat covers - I have had the seats in my Suburban recovered, and for my company, I just had 3 brand new Subaru Outbacks done. We wanted leather seats, they are easier to keep clean (we have many drivers, sometimes guys that work in the field followed by some of us in suits), but Subbies require upgraded packages to get to leather, +$4000 in the case of the Outback's we purchased. So, for $900 each, I had the old seat covers removed and the new leather ones installed. The new ones are all leather, and have "weak points" sewn into all the airbag locations (the Subaru has it's side impact airbags in the seats and deploy by blowing through the stitching). They look like factory seats (they are steamed and put on hot and wet, then shrink as they dry and cool). I don't know if you could find ones with the contrasting leather inserts like the factory Volt seats, however. Additionally, the place that did them added seat heaters for $100 more each. As a bonus, I have the original cloth seat covers and could have them put back on at selling time if the leather looks bad.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Sounds to me like another instance of a salesman trying to sell you what he's got on his lot rather than meet your needs. I agree to take the deposit and business elsewhere.

Get your deposit and run away ... nothing they told you is true

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
The 0% financing deal might go away. Or it might not. Or there might be a better deal. That's hard to say. Car deals come and go. Given that care deals tend to be a fixture in life, I'm not sure I'd take something I didn't want just to lock that in.

The tax credit and the HOV lane eligibility is definitely NOT going away.

·
Registered
193 Posts
At the very least, the dealer should be willing to see if a Volt configured the way you want is available by "swapping" with another dealership. For that matter, you can do your own search using Cars.com .....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Get your deposit back and go find or order what you want. Go to Chevy.com and search. It's pretty easy to find and the Hamtramak plant is up and running again, so a dealer order should not take long.

·
Registered
211 Posts
You guys are lucky to get deals done on Volts ...in S Fl the dealers show no interest in selling Volt, dont offer any deals but same ole same ole bs salesmanship to skin the consumer ... I know stingray near Tampa has good record but it is too far away ...sigh

·
Registered
107 Posts
As a consumer this story frustrates me. As a Chevy dealer, this story infuriates me.

Every customer deserves to get straight answers... and it does not seem that you have been given them. Yes, you can have aftermarket leather seats installed - and there are several suppliers that make very high quality factory-like leather. However, you would not get the leather wrapped steering wheel or a few other amenities that come with the factory premium leather interior. More to the point - you say "There's a car on the lot that is almost what I want. The color's not my first choice, but it's okay (Viridian Joule instead of Blue). It also has cloth seats instead of leather, which is a bigger problem for me." !!! Read this again - THIS CAR IS OBVIOUSLY NOT EVEN CLOSE.

I am in CT ... but if you came in today, I could place a factory order for the exact Volt you want and have it built before year-end. You could get the current finance or lease offers which run through January 2, 2013. In another couple of weeks, it will not be possible to place an order and have it built in time - thus you would have to settle for a car on the lot or one that could be located. But you still have time right now to get what you want AND get the current deal.

You should not have to settle. GET THE VOLT YOU WANT along with the deal you were promised. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
I know stingray near Tampa has good record but it is too far away ...sigh
To far, you have got to be kidding, its 4 hours away from Miami. You make a deal, over the phone or email, sign using fedex of fax and for 100 buck they ship it to your door, how much more spoon feeding do you require for one of the best deals in the country?

·
877 Posts
Too Far to go to Tampa I live in Miami and bought my volt in Missouri. Stingray wasn't even close when i paid shipping.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts