GM Volt Forum banner

Buying info available?

2701 Views 8 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Bacardi
Hi all -

I'm looking to buy a 2016 Volt but I feel like I don't know enough right now to make a smart purchase. The California and federal websites don't mention the 2016 Volt at all. Does anyone know if the $7500 (fed) and the $1500 (Cal) rebates will still be available if I buy a 2016 Volt in the next few weeks?

Also, are there any other incentives I should know about?

Finally, should I be paying MSRP since I'm buying one just as it comes onto the lot? That's what the salesman told me, but I wasn't sure - especially now that the 2017 will be out in the spring with new features.

Thanks!

Laurie
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
63 Posts
I can't provide you references off the top of my head, but yes -- the 2016 volt will have those tax credits (if you have a large enough tax liability to subtract the amount). California will also provide the green carpool sticker (until they run out).

Not sure when they'll be on dealer lots, though!

MSRP is probably too high. There have been several "soft" quotes about dealers offering from 500 discount from nvoice, to 500 over invoice. Invoice for the "non optioned" base and LTZ is available from several websites. I think it's approx 1500 less than MSRP.

Good luck!

· Registered
1,830 Posts
99% that the $7500 tax credit will be the same for the 2016 Volt. GM is not even up to half of the 250,000 cars they can get the credit on.

The $1500 California tax credit is still in effect also.

MSRP price is probably realistic at any small dealers you might try. However a couple of big southern California Volt dealers are offering quite a bit better deals, if you are willing to travel to the LA area to get the car.

· Registered
977 Posts
I'm looking to buy a 2016 Volt but I feel like I don't know enough right now to make a smart purchase. The California and federal websites don't mention the 2016 Volt at all. Does anyone know if the $7500 (fed) and the $1500 (Cal) rebates will still be available if I buy a 2016 Volt in the next few weeks?

Also, are there any other incentives I should know about?

Finally, should I be paying MSRP since I'm buying one just as it comes onto the lot?
Yes the 2016 will qualify for the Federal Tax Credit ($7500) and the California Rebate ($1500). Do a search on this forum "Tax Credit or Planning" or google Federal Tax Credit for more details to make sure you can claim the full tax credit. Depending where you live in SF, there may be more rebates. Maybe someone on the forum who lives there can help. Or try this resource, I found an extra $1000 using it.

https://www.smud.org/en/residential/environment/plug-in-electric-vehicles/PEV-resources/

As for paying MSRP, it depends on how savy a negotiator you are or how far are you willing to get a better deal. If you shop around then you may be able to get close to invoice. If you order down in LA Area there is one high volume dealer (Rick @ keyes chevy) who is giving a below Invoice price of $500, but you have to go down there and pick it up. If you know exactly what you want call around the Bay Area and talk to the internet sales manager at each place. I'll be you can get below MSRP if you shop around. Good luck.

· Registered
977 Posts
Thank you everyone - very helpful! I didn't know invoice was something I could expect to pay so early in the release cycle!.
You're mileage will vary with regards to getting below MSRP. Someone on the forum, stated that the bay area was a hot spot for EV's and that the dealership he visited said the same thing you encountered about paying msrp, so if you're patient and call around i'll bet you'll find someone that will give you a price below msrp. If you get close to invoice then I'd say your getting a good deal for your area.

Good luck.

· Registered
13,358 Posts
As others said, expect near MSRP. My recommendation is to wait until late 2017 or 2018 when supply exceeds demand. Another discount is to get a GM Buypower card, charge all your regular expenses on it, pay it off to avoid interest. It will net 5% on the first $5k per year then 2% afterwards, and another $250/5% every year after your anniversary. The kicker is that sometimes you get a topoff to $2500 or $3500 if you buy a new car in stock between Jan-Mar. The moons might not align to get a 2016, but maybe in a future year. Plus if you can launder say $1.5M or so through the credit card and pay it off, you can get yourself a free volt. Alas if you had that much, just buy the thing, even above MSRP.

· Registered
3,574 Posts
Could always buy from the LA area dealer and have it shipped to you if you don't want to make the drive...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.