GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting to think seriously about trying to track down a 2017 Volt Premier in NC (RTP area)... if anyone knows any deals or recommends a dealer, I am all ears.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Might be worth it to head to Charlotte. A lot of folks in western NC (Asheville area) head to Charlotte or GSP for car purchases.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I use Hendrick Chevrolet in Cary (Hwy 64 area). They have had at least one or 2 Volts in stock in the past when I have checked. They also service Volts, and I got a Volt loaner from them once. I am not exactly recommending them over anyone else, just sharing my experience with the closest Chevrolet dealer to me and the only one I have direct experience with, and which is also in your area. I have no idea if Sir Walter Chevrolet or any other area dealerships move many Volts.

As for buying a new one, I think some forum members have recommended doing a more regional search for deals and being willing to travel to pick it up. Probably worth considering.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Firstly, thanks to all for your wisdom. It has changed the way I am attacking it...

Charles, I gave your man a ring and I must say, he is all that. I have no idea how it will wind up but thanks very much for giving me an excellent start. I'll let you know how it all winds up ;-)

Cheers,

Andrew

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, this is probably a bit of a stupid thing, but I had widened out my search on cars.com (I am still talking to the very helpful gentleman mentioned above).

There are a number of cars up in Virginia that have suspiciously low prices. I don't know anything about out of state purchases but I assume it is scary and crazy (DMV, paper work and all that) and that I need to stick to NC. If some one has gone down this path, let me know ;-)

It is a bit amazing how this whole process propels you outward. I was talking to a local dealer, then talking to the nice man down south of Raleigh and now apparently I am using Virginia in a sentence. Next I will be catching a plane to California. (I won't be catching a plane to California).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just to show you how weird the car biz is, Raleigh has a whole bunch of used Fiat 500e's available. The nearby Tesla dealer said something about NC being a clearing house for Fiats. I thought you'd have to have one trucked in from California to buy a 500e!

By the way, one of my co-workers has 500e, it's a very nice car. Easier to get in and out of than the Volt, but the cargo space is too small for me. Amazing that they did such a nice job with the head of Fiat being such an anti-EV guy.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I don't know anything about out of state purchases but I assume it is scary and crazy (DMV, paper work and all that) and that I need to stick to NC.
I don't know the details either, but a number of members have reported buying out of state (not specifically from NC, but in general). I don't recall any discussion of it being overly hard, other than the obvious part about getting there, and not being able to inspect the car before committing to the travel. If you are finding a good price difference, it might be worth at least asking the dealer how it works. They probably know about any registration and tax issues, and can hopefully handle them for you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, on Saturday, we are going to drive north up to the DC area and will report how it all works out. We have a 2017 premier that has our attention. Hopefully it will all work out - I will report the result.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, we are back and here are a few thoughts:

1. We ended up buying from Ouisman Chev in Rockville MD (http://www.rockvillechevrolet.com/). I did most of my communications with Cammeron Mayberry over email and very occasionally by phone. They had a competitive price (better than anything I could get in NC), handled all the NC tax stuff and were actually a total pleasure to deal with. I don't want to say anything bad any of the NC dealers, but these guys got me what I wanted, didn't harass me and knew about the car. When we went to pick it up, they were ready, the car was charged and full of fuel. They knew about the Costco stuff and made it happen. It was worth the drive for us. I have nothing but good things to say about them.

2. I am coming from a Mazdaspeed3 that I have loved dearly and felt sad to part with. That car has mad me laugh basically every day I got in it. Our other car is a turbo charged Volvo. I wanted to get a volt but I was doing this because of the 50/50 likelihood of the tax credit going down and.... and that is it. It was time. So I was freely expecting to be underwhelmed by the car. So we had to drive it back from MD to Raleigh where I had 4 hours to get much better acquainted with it. It is a wonderful, delightful car. It is a great, great vehicle. I was expecting something a little lame and priusy (if that is a word), but it is quiet, it accelerates in a fashion similar to the mazda, it comfortable to sit in, it handles as well as you could expect and it was just delightful. I bonded with the stupid thing.

I want to thank the folks on this forum generally (and this thread) for your advice. I am a very happy new owner of a 2017 Premier.

Cheers,

Andrew

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One last update. So we have just had our first full day of using it for normal family purposes. It visited three different stores and then came home. It then turned around got loaded up with stuff (it ended up holding more stuff in the back that my old mazda) and then drove another 40 miles. We just drove back into the garage with 1 ev mile remaining. Wife was playing tunes from amazon music through its reasonably competent sound system. Heated seats on, heat wheel engaged, ACC tracking the car in front on the trip back. This thing is fabulous.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Congrats on you new Volt.
Funny you drove out of NC to buy and I went from SC to NC to buy.

I picked up my new 2018 Volt yesterday. From Rick Hendrick City Chevrolet Charlotte NC.
My sales person was Patricia Tate she was great to deal with.

But I bought a LT so that could be the difference. Like you I wanted to buy while the tax credit was still here just in case.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts