GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been lurking on this site for a couple years, and finally close to buying a used volt. Found a 2013 premium from a dealer with a clean car fax ( 1 owner ). It is high miles (165k) but the price is in my budget, and it has all the options I want. Question is on reliability and service costs. A used volt more than 3 years old has no warranty - so whether it has 40,000 or 100,000 or 165,000 miles - any repairs are on me. So I am trying to get some feedback on whether buying one with 165k for $8,000 or say one with 85,000 for $12,000 exposes me to much more risk in terms of repairs. I understand these tend to be very reliable cars - but I also expect that they are not cheap to fix when things go bad - due to the technology of the car and because I would have to pay dealer price. I tend to look at car ownership costs over a 3 to 5 year period of ownership (purchase price, fuel etc, repairs). I currently have a solar PV system that is OVERSIZED and am giving back almost 2kw of electricity every year - so that is motivation for the volt. Thanks

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
The main things that can break is the evse and the typical fwd bearings Chevy uses, except the volt can go 300k first before replacement.

So I would say go for it, there is always a small chance of a repair, but it's in your favor

·
Administrator
19,974 Posts
At 165k, car stuff tends to start needing repair or replacement, regardless of whether its an EV or not. Shocks, tires, brakes, bulbs, 12V battery, window motors, A/C stuff, etc. eventually wear out/go bad. Some are mile related, others age-related, but just expect that some things will go bad sooner on a car with higher miles or more years on it.

·
Registered
253 Posts
... A used volt more than 3 years old has no warranty - so whether it has 40,000 or 100,000 or 165,000 miles - any repairs are on me. ...
This is NOT true.

Depending on where and when it was sold, a Volt has a warranty of 5 or 8 years and 80,000 or 100,000 miles on the powertrain and/or battery components.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hello Suggest you should go to cars.com or other sites (cargurus) and research prices some more. Just went there and saw a good number of Volts at under 40,000 miles at the $12,000 price. Similiar better deals can be found at 8000$. The sort option has to be used. Probally not alot of good choices in your area, which means shipping may be the only way to get these better prices. Which many people are leary of doing. With the Volt I think this risk is much lower.

I have been lurking on this siteIt is high miles (165k) but the price is in my budget, and it has all the options I want. So I am trying to get some feedback on whether buying one with 165k for $8,000 or say one with 85,000 for $12,000 exposes me to much more risk in terms of repairs. I understand these tend to be very reliable cars - but I also expect that they are not cheap to fix when things go bad - due to the technology of the car and because I would have to pay dealer price. I tend to look at car ownership costs over a 3 to 5 year period of ownership (purchase price, fuel etc, repairs). I currently have a solar PV system that is OVERSIZED and am giving back almost 2kw of electricity every year - so that is motivation for the volt. Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts