GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon everyone. Been a member for awhile, but a few years ago we bought a Ford cmax energi (2013) which travels the world with us. Right now it is in Brazil, but now we are purchasing a 2014 volt premium with 24k on the clock. While not new, it will be our first volt and I am finally glad to be joining the party, even if we area few years late. I pick it up tomorrow here in Florida and am driving it out to Texas. Have been reading up on the volt and am sure it will be a great addition for. Now to research the things I should look for when I pick it tommorrow. Happy to listen to any suggestions, otherwise, everyone have a super Sunday.

Sent from my SM-T357T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
121 Posts
Typically I drive with the battery on hold while on the highway. Then switch back to battery during stop and go traffic. The car is more efficient that way. Engines get best efficiency at highway speeds and the battery is more efficient at lower speeds and during stop and go traffic. Also the engine is quieter if there is something left in the battery. Other than that enjoy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2014 Volt, Just got one too

Mine came off a lease with 13K of almost all electric miles. I have had it for almost a month now and no issues. Found a nest of some sort in the back bumper near the reverse light when changing to LED bulbs. The advice about using the engine on long high speed trips is spot on, save the juice for the slow stuff. Mountain mode will also charge the battery when there is under 15 miles of range on it, just in case you want to build up some charge to have more battery range in the city (you will use more gas!). Expect 40 mpg for highway cruising for gas alone. When you get in bumper-to-bumper, put it in "L" and drive with just one pedal to get more regen to charge the battery. Before you shut it down to charge it, go to the charging levels screen and select 12 amps vs 8 amps, no way to change the default to 12 amps (frustrating but you get used to toggling it before you shut the car off). My teenage daughters think it looked like a "grandpa car" with all the chrome up front, so I plasti-dipped it this weekend, sort of like it almost body color. Enjoy and get one of the plug share charging apps.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Before you leave the dealership, I would go over it thoroughly--especially if there is any B2B warranty left (not sure of your in-service date but it's possible some 14s were put in service in late '14/'15). Make sure the bluetooth functions, the radio is OK (some of them would fail), and that it accepts a charge with no codes.

Also, do not leave the dealership without the GMVIS (assuming it is a GM dealership). This will give you the full service history. Make sure it is absolutely up-to-date with ALL software updates to the radio, maps (if NAV-equipped), ECM, etc. The Gen 1 Volt is complex and has had many updates over the years, so save yourself the trouble of having to do it later.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Check the air dam under the front end. It can easily get damaged.
Verify that the air pump/flat repair kit is present and operating; it should be located under the floorboard in the back.
Put it in hold mode and take if for a brief spin in ICE mode.
Check out how much it has been driven on battery vs. ICE. The video below shows you how.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaIrZowOUNY

Other than that, kick the tires, check the lights, sniff (literally) for bad odors, just like any other car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Before you leave the dealership, I would go over it thoroughly--especially if there is any B2B warranty left (not sure of your in-service date but it's possible some 14s were put in service in late '14/'15). Make sure the bluetooth functions, the radio is OK (some of them would fail), and that it accepts a charge with no codes.

Also, do not leave the dealership without the GMVIS (assuming it is a GM dealership). This will give you the full service history. Make sure it is absolutely up-to-date with ALL software updates to the radio, maps (if NAV-equipped), ECM, etc. The Gen 1 Volt is complex and has had many updates over the years, so save yourself the trouble of having to do it later.
So...I'm considering buying a 2014 Volt and your email caught my eye:

If you buy at a non-GM dealership, can you still get the full service history that you mentioned?

If it's missing any of the software updates, can you stop by a GM dealership to have them apply the updates? Do they charge for this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
So...I'm considering buying a 2014 Volt and your email caught my eye:

If you buy at a non-GM dealership, can you still get the full service history that you mentioned?

If it's missing any of the software updates, can you stop by a GM dealership to have them apply the updates? Do they charge for this?

Thanks!
The key is to know your warranty. If it's a warranty issue, any GM dealer will do it. Powertrain is 5 years, Voltec is 8 years.

If not, then no.

You might luck out with some dealerships being more willing to work with a "service" customer (as opposed to someone who bought the car at the dealership), but it's hit or miss.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
The full service history is hit or miss. Typically (not always) the individual dealerships maintain service history in their own system. Warranty claim history however is network wide. I purchased my '13 privately and the seller always had the same dealership do all the services. When I had the vehicle inspected I went to the same dealership she had dealt with as it was convenient and a certified Volt service center. They were able to provide me a full printout for everything the car had done since new.

As for software updates, those are not complimentary unless you are in the b2b coverage period or it applies to a covered system such as the powertrain (60-100K, depending on coverage) or the Voltec system (100-150K) and generally only if the complaint you're having is a "fix" covered by the update. Occasionally they will do them just to make sure the car is up to date, but outside of the b2b coverage they do cost, generally about $125.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The key is to know your warranty. If it's a warranty issue, any GM dealer will do it. Powertrain is 5 years, Voltec is 8 years.

If not, then no.

You might luck out with some dealerships being more willing to work with a "service" customer (as opposed to someone who bought the car at the dealership), but it's hit or miss.
Thanks VoltenRock.

Can you clarify about the GMVIS that you mentioned? Can you get this from GM if you buy a Volt from a non-GM dealership?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
The full service history is hit or miss. Typically (not always) the individual dealerships maintain service history in their own system. Warranty claim history however is network wide. I purchased my '13 privately and the seller always had the same dealership do all the services. When I had the vehicle inspected I went to the same dealership she had dealt with as it was convenient and a certified Volt service center. They were able to provide me a full printout for everything the car had done since new.

As for software updates, those are not complimentary unless you are in the b2b coverage period or it applies to a covered system such as the powertrain (60-100K, depending on coverage) or the Voltec system (100-150K) and generally only if the complaint you're having is a "fix" covered by the update. Occasionally they will do them just to make sure the car is up to date, but outside of the b2b coverage they do cost, generally about $125.
Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to everyone who replied. I picked the car up and it runs great. Now , after a 2 day around town trip here in Florida I am driving it out to Texas. The one thing that was missing was the fix a flat kit. So am going to buy a tire plug kit and a can of air....just in case. I plan to stick to major highways ...no back roads. Activated my free trial of xmradio, and probably try on star as well, at least the trial. There is no nav option but I got the phone with the nav. Looking forward to a safe quiet 1300 mile road trip.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thanks to everyone who replied. I picked the car up and it runs great. Now , after a 2 day around town trip here in Florida I am driving it out to Texas. The one thing that was missing was the fix a flat kit. So am going to buy a tire plug kit and a can of air....just in case. I plan to stick to major highways ...no back roads. Activated my free trial of xmradio, and probably try on star as well, at least the trial. There is no nav option but I got the phone with the nav. Looking forward to a safe quiet 1300 mile road trip.

Hope the road trip goes problem free!
Just to give a real world perspective (that might apply to you) - I know from just driving round trip from Austin to Waco this weekend in my 2014, you should still get some pretty good gas mileage (at least on I35). I found myself not quite so annoyed with the stop and go traffic during the construction areas in my Volt!

I think in the single day I made that round trip, I drove ~270 miles, with about 200 of those being on gas and I used just a hair over 5 gallons of gas (I used MM to recharge a few times throughout the day, which caused a small gas consumption inefficiency, as well as travelling with the "flow" of traffic - ie: going >75mph like everyone else). Overall I still averaged about 46 mpg for that trip, which was almost as good as what I got in my 2010 Prius.:D

·
Registered
417 Posts
My 2014 averages about 43mpg on our journeys through the mountains from Indiana to Virginia coast and back, about 1800 miles round trip :D

I'd also recommend at the very least, putting on a Voltscreen.

·
Registered
417 Posts
It's a screen that goes over the front lower grill. The Gen 1s are susceptible to debris damage to the radiators because the spacing between the slats are too large.

You can get it and many great accessories here:
https://voltshelf.weebly.com/voltscreen.html

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update:

So I made the 1400 mile trip with no issues at all. I wish I had the navigation system, but I got by on the phone. The car drove and handled great. I averaged 37 mpg at 75-80 MPH for most of the trip. Was impressed with the ride. I liked stopping every 300 miles to add fuel. It gave me time to stretch. I played around with the various drive modes. Mountain worked fine and gave me about 15 to 16 miles which I propmtly put in hold mode for use in traffic jams and off highway stops for gas and food. The leather seats were comfortable, but towards the end I was sore and stuff. It's a long haul to do, any seat would have produced the same issue.. overall I am very,very pleased with car and it's performance.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts