GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to get a Volt, but after running the numbers, I can't justify what they want for a Preminer. I need adaptive cruise, and I'm not willing to go without it. At 40k, it just seems a bit high for a 4 passenger car without a lot of cargo space. A few months ago, GM was making it a no-brainier, with 20% discounts. But now, if you look around, it's $1,500 bonus cash, and maybe some other minor offers, but in essence, the car is now 6 grand more expensive than it was just a few months ago.

Ford has big incentives on the C-Max, and BMW is offering a lease on the BMW i3 REX for 3600 down and $199/month. GM just doesn't seem to be competitive enough. I think I've decided to wait a few months and see what incentives come out in the fall. Two new cars will also become available, the Prius Prime, and the 2017 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring. Either Ford, Mazda, or GM should come out with a decent incentive for the holidays.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
All of these cars mentioned are less than a Volt and are equipped with ACC?

This is the first year for ACC on Volt. I'm thinking they are charging a premium for that.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hey Washington buddy... our state/dealers suck when it comes to Volt sales! They should be flying off the lots but there just isn't any push from dealers or GM to move them in large volumes like California. I doubt you'll find a dealer willing to move much either, I just leased an LT with comfort for $34k. A couple things that might be worth thinking about though, after some possible fighting with a dealer, you WILL get the Volt tax free which saves almost $3,600 or so. Also, you'll save on gas. Not so much if you're on the West side of the state, but on the East side, electricity is stupid cheap compared to just about anywhere else in the nation. I think I figured a full battery charge every night of the month would only equal about $32 in electricity... for 1,500+ miles of electric driving every month.

I've heard the BMW isn't great when on range extender while going up steep grades at highway speeds. I haven't personally driven the BMW but my local dealer was honest enough to say a couple people from the small handful of sales they've had did mention some issues when going across the pass on low battery charges, etc. The Volt, I don't think you'll have any issues, and even if so, it's super easy to have it reserve 20% or more battery for hills and the engine at highway speeds is basically silent and well powered. I was debating the two cars a lot because of how much BMW was pushing on their offers but I'll tell you what, when you look at the CARS and not the badge and original sticker price, I don't think the BMW is that amazing of an offer. The Volt seems like a really really good product while the BMW seems... well, a little off the mark. Now if it was a 3 series with 50+ mile range, ya the BMW would be awesome, but it's a totally different package from their other cars...

I doubt Prius Prime will do much to cause offers to budge since it kinda seems to be in a different class (entry level low end, think Spark EV like). Now if you can hold out till the Tesla Model 3 then you might see prices break, but honestly I don't even think the Bolt will cause GM to get aggressive with the Volt and I don't expect them to get aggressive with the Bolt anytime soon (outside of full CARB states like California).

It sucks it's so high priced and there isn't much local knowledge or drive to sell them... but I can tell you that honestly I'm surprised every time I get in it how happy I am with the car. It feels like a normal car, it feels super solid and well built, and it looks great!

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I'd like to get a Volt, but after running the numbers, I can't justify what they want for a Preminer. I need adaptive cruise, and I'm not willing to go without it. At 40k, it just seems a bit high for a 4 passenger car without a lot of cargo space. A few months ago, GM was making it a no-brainier, with 20% discounts. But now, if you look around, it's $1,500 bonus cash, and maybe some other minor offers, but in essence, the car is now 6 grand more expensive than it was just a few months ago.

Ford has big incentives on the C-Max, and BMW is offering a lease on the BMW i3 REX for 3600 down and $199/month. GM just doesn't seem to be competitive enough. I think I've decided to wait a few months and see what incentives come out in the fall. Two new cars will also become available, the Prius Prime, and the 2017 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring. Either Ford, Mazda, or GM should come out with a decent incentive for the holidays.
Just sit tight. 20% off will be back soon. No, I have no insider info, just a hunch considering all the factors. Also, used prices are starting to drop in a major way.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
20% off was on 2016, which didn't have the adaptive cruise your wanting. Its possible if you wait you may get lower prices, you have to balance that with whether the tax credit for this year is important to your financial situation. The CA dealers have best prices in the country, so that maybe an option

·
Registered
425 Posts
Here in nj i missed the 20% discount, by Gm continued the following month with a 16% discount which enabled my purchase of my 3rd volt. It is a wonderful car

My dealer told me the 16% discount continued and was nationwide . You might call a volt advisor and ask them if they were continuing.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you are willing to go to CA you can find ~4000-5000 off from the dealer, additional money from GM, private offer/farm bureau etc.. I leased my ACC volt for $300/mo with less than $1000 down -- which is pretty much what that I3 deal has except it support car play and android auto, ACC, and can drive more than 200 miles without needing gas.

·
Registered
54 Posts
In Seattle, dealers are loaded with LTs (probably ordered before the state tax law changes). Premiers with ACC are much rarer-- and there are only a handful of $1500 bonus tags this month (3) for Seattle area Premiers with ACC (and you have to give up the 0% interest rate) for about 4000 off the MSRP (but depending upon the interest rate you can get, the eventual price be at least $1500 more). We'll see what the Costco discount brings next month.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Just be warned that if you buy it from California you really need to have it shipped here to be tax free. If you drive it off a CA lot the dealer must charge you local tax (or at least that's what two dealers told me). Then who knows how that'll work when you come into WA and try to claim it as tax exempt and get California to refund you...

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
I got $3500 off MSRP on a 2017 with ACC and then got another $1000 for my GM military discount. I wanted a 2017 with ACC and was willing to pay a bit more than a first year Gen II w/o ACC.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Didn't they offer 20% off on Black Friday, or did that only apply to current-year inventory?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am on the same boat. Tried buying LT with Convenience Package for $32k out the door. The lowest offer i got with 0% for 60 months is $34k out the door. My original budget is $30k out the door, so I shall wait. I really do need the tax credit though, so i'll purchase the Volt before the end of the year for sure, hopefully GM will offer better incentives.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One new option has become available. Honda has introduced a new 2017 civic hatchback. It has ACC available on many trim levels, so it's not that expensive.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
One new option has become available. Honda has introduced a new 2017 civic hatchback. It has ACC available on many trim levels, so it's not that expensive.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ;(

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am on the same boat. Tried buying LT with Convenience Package for $32k out the door. The lowest offer i got with 0% for 60 months is $34k out the door. My original budget is $30k out the door, so I shall wait. I really do need the tax credit though, so i'll purchase the Volt before the end of the year for sure, hopefully GM will offer better incentives.
I guess I am in the same boat too. I am thinking I'd be a little better off waiting a while and getting a Certified and save 8 to 10 thousand with all the options I want.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I guess I am in the same boat too. I am thinking I'd be a little better off waiting a while and getting a Certified and save 8 to 10 thousand with all the options I want.
I'll try to be patient and wait for some kind of reasonable discount from GM, but they better do something by Christmas, or Honda is going to eat them alive. COME ON GM! THIS IS NOT A $40K CAR!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'll try to be patient and wait for some kind of reasonable discount from GM, but they better do something by Christmas, or Honda is going to eat them alive. COME ON GM! THIS IS NOT A $40K CAR!
You're right. It's really a $32,500 car with the tax credit.

I'm amazed their is so much variation in pricing on this car across the country. It's not like they are selling tons of volts.

I walked into the dealer near the end of the month and told him what I wanted to pay for the car he had in stock. Fully loaded premier with ACC. He took $4700 off MSRP, GM took another $1000 off, and then they even threw in 0% financing. I figure the fully loaded volt is really a $28,000 car.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts