GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am currently a vw tdi owner about to sell back to vw and buy a chevy volt. i have the 3000$ private offer that expires 8-31. should i look for a deal and buy now with the private offer or wait until 2018s come out and grab a 2017 then?

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Stkfrog, I wish I had a $3,000 private offer, I would be looking at a 2017 Volt right now. I also had a 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI before going to our first 2014 Volt. We now have a 2016 Volt Premier which is getting great electric range, 68 indicated, and gas only mpg's, last trip 53+ mpg. Probably better than a TDI running on more expensive diesel instead of rot gut 87 octane.

I would look around for a 2017, the 2018 Volt is really not changed from 2017, as far as the propulsion system and overall looks. There are dealers here in the northwest offering 2017 Volt LT's for under $30,000 dollars, some dealers in the Seattle / Tacoma, Washington area less than $29,000, that would bring you price down to less than $20,000 if you can use the $7,500 Federal Tax Credit.

I would get a 2017 Volt, as you would probably save thousands over a 2018 which would only be a year only change, nothing more.

The Volt is a great choice with more technology than any other car you can buy for the price.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks. i have found a new 2017 premium with demo discount. has everything but confidence 2 package and no acc. 7k miles for 31900. msrp about 39900. minus 3k private offer puts it about 28900. minus 7500 is about 21400. sound good?

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
With the $3K private offer I'd buy now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there, I'm not 100% certain but wouldn't a demo be considered used? If so you would not qualify for the rebate.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Agree that with a $3K private offer it would be "buy now". Might want to think about leasing.

·
Registered
524 Posts
thanks. i have found a new 2017 premium with demo discount. has everything but confidence 2 package and no acc. 7k miles for 31900. msrp about 39900. minus 3k private offer puts it about 28900. minus 7500 is about 21400. sound good?
Whoa... 7k miles. Are you sure it is a new car? Demos are usually 2k to 3.5k and go for less than 32. Make sure it is being driven on a certificate of origin and not a title. Once it's titled it's a used car and no 7500 tax credit. If it's a demo GM will add 7k miles to all the warranties. Example 3/36 becomes 3/43.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Whoa... 7k miles. Are you sure it is a new car? Demos are usually 2k to 3.5k and go for less than 32. Make sure it is being driven on a certificate of origin and not a title. Once it's titled it's a used car and no 7500 tax credit. If it's a demo GM will add 7k miles to all the warranties. Example 3/36 becomes 3/43.
I seem to remember reading that there is a limit of 5,000 on the extension. I could be wrong but when I did research a few years ago, that's what I remember finding.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys. i didnt know about the extension. i will double check and ask. i think the actual mileage is around 6100. i have confirmed as new but will always double check before i buy.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Be aware that the car company may consider it a new car, but the IRS may not. It's my understanding (from lurking on this forum) that if they can't give you the MSO (Manufacturers Statement of Origin) then NO federal tax credit. Others, please chime in if I got that wrong.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Be aware that the car company may consider it a new car, but the IRS may not. It's my understanding (from lurking on this forum) that if they can't give you the MSO (Manufacturers Statement of Origin) then NO federal tax credit. Others, please chime in if I got that wrong.
What matters is that your name appears on the car title as the first owner. The MSO thing is overplayed. The dealer doesn't give the MSO to you, they send it to the state when they title the car to you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I came here to ask a very similar question. My plan was to buy a 2017 Premier in blue, but I'm wondering whether I should wait for the 2018s to come out. I'm in the San Francisco bay area. I care quite a lot about all of the driver confidence/safety stuff, don't want a navigation system, and couldn't care less about anything else besides color. It looks like I want the Premier in either 2017 or 2018 to get the best of the self-driving/safety features.

Am I likely to get a better deal on a 2017 if I wait a few weeks? Is there a reason to prefer the 2018?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hoser,
I think the consensus is that there are really no new features on the 2018 worth waiting for. It seems like the very best deals for 2017's are at $4-5K off of MSRP. Whether the deals get better in the next few weeks is what we are all wondering. The longer you wait the less selection you will have.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've been thinking along the same lines, namely that I don't need nor want all of the options that come as part of the Premier. A 2018 LT with just the safety features is more along the lines that would satisfy me. I'm thinking that a 2018 could be had at a lower price than a loaded Premier even with the $4-5K discount.

-Jeff

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think the longer you have your car the less it matters if you bought year end car at a discount or you paid more to get a car that will always be a year newer (and therefore hold more value). If you are on a 5-10 year plan for your cars I bet comparing the cost of ownership there is less than $1K of difference between the two scenarios.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts