GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like a simple question, but I can't get a straight answer so looking for opinions and advice. I'm about to upgrade to a 2017 and have two options. The better deal is if I buy out of province in Quebec, and I also prefer the Quebec options a bit more....but when I look at the rebate forms for Ontario the province for the dealer address is hard coded to Ontario (ie, cannot type Quebec there, would have to physically scratch Ontario out and write Quebec).

Link to the form below.

http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/ssb/forms/ssbforms.nsf/GetFileAttach/023-2096E~1/$File/2096E.pdf

I thought this was strange, because I know when I bought my volt you could buy out of province and qualify for the rebate. So I called the ministry to ask if something changed with the new program. The person really had no clue and just re read the form to me and told me the car has to be purchased in Ontario to qualify. Still doesn't make sense to me, but Ontario IS pre filled out on the form.

What do you guys think? Anyone purchased a gen 1/2 recently (since the new program started in Feb/16) in Quebec and got the rebate in Ontario?

I'm torn....

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
How do you plan to buy out of province?
In order to get the rebate it must be registered in ON as new, so it can't be transferred from QC registration, they'd have to register direct with MTO or sell it to you unregistered somehow.
If you can get around that hurdle, then you should be ok.

Less headaches is to arrange a dealer swap to one that is in ON and then you know for sure the rebate applies and you can have the dealer apply it at time of purchase and not have to wait 3+ months as well.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do you plan to buy out of province?
In order to get the rebate it must be registered in ON as new, so it can't be transferred from QC registration, they'd have to register direct with MTO or sell it to you unregistered somehow.
If you can get around that hurdle, then you should be ok.

Less headaches is to arrange a dealer swap to one that is in ON and then you know for sure the rebate applies and you can have the dealer apply it at time of purchase and not have to wait 3+ months as well.
The Quebec dealer would give me temporary plates good for 10 days, and then I drive back to Ontario with those plates and I register it.

That being said I've decided to stay with the Ontario dealer. So in about a week (whenever I can drive out to Ottawa) I'll be the proud owner of a 2017 kinetic blue premium. :)

I feel like I made the right decision. I liked the Quebec package a bit more, and it was about 1,200 less, but a further drive and not worth the risk of not getting the rebate IMO.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
But wouldn't those 10 day plates count as an initial registration?

Either way, you've decided to stick with inside-province deal (congrats :))

Buying in different jurisdictions can net you a great deal and get you what you want, but you need to make sure every little detail is in line or end up getting the short end of the stick :(
In the states they don't have this issue, as it's a federal rebate - doesn't matter which state you buy in, nor which state you live in.
(Additional state level rebates are another story - but the 'big one' is federal)

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
552 Posts
You can buy in QC, and use the ON rebate, you just have to do it yourself. We were going to do that, but, like you, stuck with a local dealer that brought in the car we wanted. They took the rebate off the total and did the paperwork.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts