GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I am still drooling at the looks of this snazzy Volt, but when it finally hits the showrooms in a couple of years, I'll be pushing 59... maybe older if they don't start selling these in 2010 or 11.

I'd love nothing better to be able to slip into and out of my beloved 1970 Chevy Z-28 Camaro, but let's be practical. Some old guys like me have arthritis and getting into and out of low-slung vehicles is a pain in the name of the body part here.

I guess in the marketing game, GM knows the people who spend money wildly are the 35 and under group, so they are designing the Volt to appeal to this segment of the population. I am fearful that they will rule-out my age group (or ailment group) and never design a car that is easy to hop into and out of. I for one (and I suspect many like me in my age group) would go out and pay cash for my next car, but my age group isn't buying in droves, "hip" cars. Thus the Volt would more than likely be selling like hotcakes to young folk who buy on a whim and buy nearly everything on credit.

I just wonder if GM will ever build a car that would be practical for the 59 and over group? My dad was still driving (and flying) into his mid-80s... and I hope I'm still sharp enough to be driving for another 25 years or longer.

I can slip into and out of a Honda Pilot easily, but the Volt looks like it would hurt to pile out of.... I would hope that GM might consider building something like the Honda Pilot for those of us who can't bend and stoop too easily.

PLEEEEEZE GM,
Also design a V-"OLd" for those of us who can no longer bend down and touch our toes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Volt is a concept car, not a production vehicle. If they get all of the kinks worked out and ready for market in 2010, I'm sure you will see more than one body style. If the car is successful, they want people of all ages and body types driving them, not just the young.
When you design a concept car, you design the coolest car you can, to generate interest. They will worry about us old guys later.....

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Old Guys Rule

They will worry about us old guys later.....
These people make a T shirt with the graphics, "Old Guys Rule" (http://www.oldguysrule.com/catalog/T_Shirts-7-1.html) and I suspect the executives at GM who make the BIG decisions fall into this category... Hopefully, they WILL make an EV that the over 50 group can egress into and out of.

The electric Dodge mini-van I drove when I worked in PR for a large electric company was very easy to get into and out of... Too bad that van didn't catch on back when it was designed in 1994. It was way ahead of it's time.

Thankfully, my 2004 Chevy Silverado pickup is a breeze to get out of... Getting out of my wife's 2006 Jetta, :eek:now that is another issue...:eek:

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Getting out of my wife's 2006 Jetta, :eek:now that is another issue...:eek:
I believe the production Volt will be very much like the Jetta as far as egress is concerned. As others have pointed out though, if the Volt is successful, and GM stays in business, they will build other E-REV models and a small SUV/Crossover would be high on the list I would guess.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Old drivers, old pilots

I had to sell my Warrior because it was getting too hard to climb up on the wing to get into the cabin... Now I am a low-winger slipping into and out of a Cessna Cardinal (Cardinal has the big door and easy to slip the old bones into the pilot's seat.)

I do hope GM will remember some of us are drooling for an EV-SUV that isn't a fat pig like the Tahoe. I like to slip into and out of tight parking spaces on city streets, and something the size of the Honda Pilot and/or the Chevy Astro Van is great for such a mission...

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I had to sell my Warrior because it was getting too hard to climb up on the wing to get into the cabin... Now I am a low-winger slipping into and out of a Cessna Cardinal (Cardinal has the big door and easy to slip the old bones into the pilot's seat.)
The Cardinal is the easiest to get in and out of any plane I've flown. Possibly any plane ever. It's one of the very few Cessnas I would consider buying. Why it didn't out sell the Skyhawk is beyond me. I think it's a much better plane. Good choice if you can't do the Warrior (or Mooney for that matter) twist and crunch anymore.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts