GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This happened.

click for full size

I frequently find my Volt inexplicably unlocked, so I'm basically spamming the lock button almost every time I walk away from the car (though I still often find it unlocked). Today, the button sank into the fob and there's no way to activate it. I was not using excessive pressure, so this is very strange. The other buttons did not sink in, so I expect the circuit board is still in its place.

I did a quick search for disassembly instructions but I find instructions for changing the battery. Have any of you ever disassembled one of these?

I'm handy with electronics soldering so maybe I can swap some components with a donor key fob.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I only use that button when pre-conditioning. My Volt locks automatically when I walk away. That setting is in the config menu.
I do have a used fob I got cheap on EBay for spare parts but it seems to be glued together. ☹

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,713 Posts
Today, the button sank into the fob and there's no way to activate it.
Your picture looks like a piece of the button has actually broken out of the center of the button and is probably lodged inside.. Am I misinterpreting what I see?

·
Registered
78 Posts
My old Equinox remote was like that. I got a spare one and rebuilt my remote using the spare one. It is like a rubber key mat that goes over the actual buttons.

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier 90k+ Miles
805 Posts
The button looks crushed in the middle. New fobs can be bought from GMPartsDirect, RockAuto, etc. Just move the physical key over and program the new fob to the car, using the directions in the owners manual. Keep the old one as an additional spare transmitter.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I only use that button when pre-conditioning. My Volt locks automatically when I walk away. That setting is in the config menu.
I had mine set to do that at first, but the feature was unreliable so I turned it off. I'm kind of amazed how frequently I find the doors unlocked, even though I have a habit of spamming the lock button as I walk away and listening for the horn honks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your picture looks like a piece of the button has actually broken out of the center of the button and is probably lodged inside.. Am I misinterpreting what I see?
I have not been able to see inside but I believe this is correct.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
The rubber cover is worn out
you can move the electronics and the key to a new empty cover

or get a total new unit - program and move over the key

some covers show a hatch back open button and not a charge port open button

see amazon and you-tube video on taking it apart ( easy ) a bit harder putting back the key because of that (bad word here ) key spring.

But hay-- could be you want it to spring close when you push the side button and not spring open.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The rubber cover is worn out
you can move the electronics and the key to a new empty cover

or get a total new unit - program and move over the key

some covers show a hatch back open button and not a charge port open button

see amazon and you-tube video on taking it apart ( easy ) a bit harder putting back the key because of that (bad word here ) key spring.

But hay-- could be you want it to spring close when you push the side button and not spring open.
I couldn't find a video for disassembly. I will keep looking...

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
I had mine set to do that at first, but the feature was unreliable so I turned it off. I'm kind of amazed how frequently I find the doors unlocked, even though I have a habit of spamming the lock button as I walk away and listening for the horn honks.
Never occurred to you that if you found the car unlocked after "spamming the lock button as I walk away and listening for the horn honks" that maybe something else was *UN*locking the car, and the auto-lock was not, in fact, unreliable at all?

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier 90k+ Miles
805 Posts
I couldn't find a video for disassembly. I will keep looking...
Have you checked to see if you can buy a replacement shell? I've only seen complete fobs available.

I've taken lots of electronics apart without a manual. The worst that can happen is you break something which is already broken. Just make sure you already have spare beforehand.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I tried many times to open up my spare fob and it simply won’t come apart. Somebody suggested there was a screw hidden behind the Chevy bowtie but after peeling that off there was no screw. Does anyone here know the secret?

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
This video shows a relatively easy way to get the old fob open. It's a Cruze fob but it's the same construction as the Volt fob. There is a screw under the Chevy badge on the NEW fob but the old one is glued together it seems.

I'm frankly surprised that the fobs fail in this way. My fob never leaves my pocket with the auto lock feature on our cars.

Reactions: bentbiker

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I have the similar problem on my 2014 fobs. One one the button is stuck but not torn. On the working one, the center is torn but the button still works. I don't believe I used the much too since I usually lock my doors touching the handle before walking away. I think GM just made them cheap!

·
Registered
15 Posts
This happened.

click for full size

I frequently find my Volt inexplicably unlocked, so I'm basically spamming the lock button almost every time I walk away from the car (though I still often find it unlocked).
I often found mine unlocked and all the windows rolled down. The fob is just a horrible design. The buttons get pushed in all kinds of combinations in my pocket. I got real tired of finding my car insecure and soaking wet in the parking lot.

I took hot glue and glued up a ridge all the way around the buttons. All the buttons still work but they are protected against having multiple buttons pushed in my pocket.

In fact since I did that I haven't had an unlocked or open window issue once.

It's just a poor design on the fob.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
after 5 years the rubber/plastic got soft and the button was rolling all my window down too

a new FOB had stiffer buttons and that fixed the window problem

Still think there is a dealer programming to prevent this ?

(the replacement FOB have not GM shield so the screw to remove is easy to see )

I order a complete FOB and not the shield only - Amazon on the same page lists both options.

fits 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 Chevrolet Volt Flip Key Fob Keyless Entry Remote (22923862, 22737521)
  • This is a replacement aftermarket part
  • Replacement for P/N: 22923862, 22737521
  • Complete electronic assembly with battery
  • User programmable with provided step-by-step instructions (1 original flip key required)
  • fits 2011-2015 Chevy Volt

KeylessOption Keyless Entry Car Remote Start Uncut Flip Key Fob for 2011-2015 Chevy Volt OHT05918179

·
Registered
656 Posts
I totally destroyed the fob from my old Volt trying to disassemble it. They're glued together. Got a second one for my 2015 at dealer for $62. Included cutting the key too. Programmed it in the parking lot just in case it wiped out the original fob. Worked fine. Price is a bargain as fobs go.

·
Registered
15 Posts
a new FOB had stiffer buttons and that fixed the window problem

Still think there is a dealer programming to prevent this ?
[/QUOTE]
My dealer said I would have to pay for two hours of shop time for them to change it. They said you have too step through all the codes one at a time until you get to the line. Then one at a time to the end so you can save the change.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
At least half of that is a "why don't you have a real problem?" charge.... ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts