GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Please help the first time Volt owner here. The first day I picked up my car, I noticed this burning smell coming under the hood after I used up my electric range and drove about 20 miles with gas. Today I smell it again after about 15 miles drive with gas. My wife sitting on passenger seat smell it too. I managed to open the hood and it appears the smell came from the engine where it says "Voltec". Is that normal with Volt, or should I have the dealer to check it out?
Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
It is most likely normal. With traditional ICE cars, they burn off all the oils and chemicals quickly. Since the Volt doesn't run the engine often, it takes it a few cycles to burn everything off.
If it doesn't go away after a few more days of running the engine, then I would be concerned.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My new 2015 did the same thing when I first ran the gas engine. If it is still doing after an hour of running the gas engine, I would talk to the dealership about it. In my car, the smell went away after about 30 minutes of freeway driving.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
It's completely normal. Many new cars do it. The engine has various coatings & lubricants that will burn off after an hour or two. I suggest putting the car in Hold and taking it for a nice drive on the highway for an hour or so. The smell will burn off. It never returns.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My dealership warned me of this before I left the lot. I can't explain why it happens, but it's expected.

Edit: It will also go away.

·
Registered
169 Posts
There are several situations that can occur causing the smell. Our 2013 will still emit a burnt rubber smell when driven with the engine after long periods of EV only use. The cause of this is that all highways have micro-particles of tire rubber on them from normal tire wear as vehicles drive on the road. The dust has a tendency to collect on the exhaust manifold and other exhaust parts as you drive without running the engine. Then when you do run the engine the accumulated rubber particles will burn off of the hot exhaust parts and produce the smell. We also experience this same situation when we tow an ICE vehicle behind our motor home for long distances and then drive it. Smells just the same as the Volt can when first driven for a ways.

·
Registered
13,940 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for feedback! Now i can relax and drive my car long distance.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
after a long dry spell the roads will be slick after a light rain-- oil and tire dust build up.

·
Registered
13,940 Posts
Lay off the Burrito Grande and see if that fixes the gas problem.
Ouch!! That was a bit harsh. Reminds my of one of my college roommates who always ate frozen microwaved burritos causing interesting gastro intestinal issues. We coined a new word "burritosis" for not using enough lysol spray in the restroom after eating burritos.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Smells like burning after first time using ICE?

I've had my 2016 Volt about two weeks now and, outside of ERDTT, today was the first time I used the ICE as it was intended. I ran out of EV range and relied on the ICE to get me to work.

I exited the highway, pulled regen paddle, came to a stop at the light and noticed this burning smell. My buddy and I just chalked it up to the car in front of us or something else in the area. On the way back home, I noticed the same smell after exiting the highway again! It dissipates after a few minutes of driving but it's still irksome and puzzling.

At first I thought it was regen braking related but I never had that issue before. After some searching on the forums, this sounded an awful lot like the issues in this "Smelly Volt after extended gas runs" thread.

So is this normal for first time use? If so, how long does it take before it goes away? Or is this something more serious and I should get in contact with my dealer ASAP?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
20,583 Posts
Manufacturing & assembly oil new engine burnoff, Normal

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. Any idea how long it takes to burn off? Should I use the ICE more to accelerate the process or not bother?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Just drove 10 miles on ICE and have the same smell when I got home (only 130 miles on ICE total for me). Yeah, everyone says it's normal. I don't see a reason to try to accelerate the process. Just drive normally.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I think mine did that at first too but doesn't smell any more. I am now at about 200 ICE miles.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Drove mine 200 miles on gas the day after I got it and never noticed any smell. Don't recall ever smelling anything after gas runs on the 2012 either. Was doing 75-80mph on the highway though so maybe it was whisked away by the speed. Really haven't run the engine much since.

·
Registered
13,940 Posts
Remember ice vehicles will do their burn off when driving from the factory floor onto the car carrier for delivery to your dealership. If you got your volt brand sinking new from the dealer and it has only run electric miles, you will experience the smell. You might also experience oil burning if during an oil change they accidentally spill a few drops near the manifold. Don't worry about it unless it is persistent over multiple long trips.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts