1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
20,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Congratulations are in order. It sure looks like GM's Voltec is carrying. I'm hoping for twins or triplets.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Interesting that they would just now trademark that name after using it for so many years; unless those trademarks run out after so many years without renewal.

I could certainly see an Electra 'range extender' in Buick's future.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm excited about the prospect of a Voltec powered Buick. This really speaks to the potential success of the Voltec powertrain from GM that they might be considering a second or third (if the Cadillac Voltec coupe becomes a reality) vehicle in the GM family.

One more wild guess possibility is that the Electra could be an all electric vehicle from GM to compete with Tesla Motors and their Model S. The Buick name would be better positioned to compete with Tesla's premium vehicle market position.

Cheers,
David

·
Registered
139 Posts
Although the name is intriguing in light of the Volt, keep in mind that "Electra" was used by Buick for its top-of-the-line model for many years. As mentioned above, there are a variety of possible explanations for trademarking the name. I'd love to see the Voltec powertrain proliferate through GM - and that's key to drive down production costs and amortize the investment - but not every electricity-evoking name signals a new Volt.

Dan

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Buick produced Electra 225 for years, it was nickname Duece and a quarter or Two Dollar some change. It was one step from a full blown Caddy for luxury and price.

·
8,680 Posts
I'm excited about the prospect of a Voltec powered Buick. This really speaks to the potential success of the Voltec powertrain from GM that they might be considering a second or third (if the Cadillac Voltec coupe becomes a reality) vehicle in the GM family.
At this point, I think the ELR is a whole lot more certain. Things can always change, but Cadillac has it on all sorts of officialy web pages as coming.

Since we're digging out crystal balls, I'm gonna go out on a limb with my speculation: The new Buick Electra will be the production version of the Volt MPV5 concept they showed in Asia - a Voltec driven CUV to compete with the C-Max Energi. GM has to know that the CUV is the next logical place to go, unless they leapfrog all the way to a minivan, and making it a Buick with some upscale features will soften the price shock. Buick has already had a few SUV/CUV cars, and it'd give all three of their brands one EREV to point to...

(Personally, I'd rather see an EREV convertible, but I think that'll have a lower priority unfortunately.)

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Always believed Buick would pick up the Voltec. Buick is always said to be the "quiet" luxury. Nothing fits better.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I suspect it will be primarily branded for China / Asia. The cars will make it to dealerships all over the world, but it will probably have a primary focus in the Chinese market.

Buick is the "Cadillac" for upper middle-class and luxury cars in China, right now. It is much more popular than Chevy or even Cadillac, as I understand it. With clever marketing where most of the Chinese Buicks are built and assembled in China, GM has grown a large brand loyalty of an American brand.

I suspect with the advantages that GM can get from the "Chinese economics" and having the battery or many of the components built in China for cheap, I suspect it will be priced lower for locals than the current American Volt.

I like the Buick brand, but I tend to prefer Cadillac for a few bucks more. I do not like that there are few Buick dealership where there seems even fewer competition to get a good price. I think the Electra brand would be great for a Voltec line, but I think the Volts will be a few bux less while the ELR will be a few bux more. If the Caddy is a few bucks more, I would be more interested in a Cadillac upgrade to my Volt.

If Buick can make a Chinese Voltec cheaper than the Volt (factoring cheap Chinese labor and manufacturing), and the average Chinese is paying the same for gas as Americans or Europeans, it should sell very well when considering that the Chinese have accepted Buick as a "good Chinese" luxury brand.

-KyleH

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Interesting. Thanks for posting! Here is some additional:

Before it settled on "Volt," Chevy considered calling its plug-in hybrid several other names, including "Electra." Why? It still owned the rights from the Buick Electra sold for three decades. And like Carmen Electra, the Volt was filled with silicon.
http://jalopnik.com/5664109/the-chevy-volt-was-nearly-named-the-electra

Rumor of a Buick version of the Chevy Volt has been floating out there for awhile
http://gas2.org/2012/06/15/buick-trademarks-electra-name-rampant-speculation-begins/

Back in 2008 GM was considering badging the Opel and Vauxhall version of the Volt as "Electra," but of course decided to go with Ampera instead. We'd be more likely to believe that this new trademark filing was prompted by similar motives than any return to form for a Buick Electra flagship.
http://green.autoblog.com/2012/06/15/buick-moves-to-trademark-electra/

·
Registered
217 Posts
Toyota renewed their patent on the name "Supra" recently which caused a stir as well, because apparently they have to use the name in a production vehicle within 5 years. The same is probably true here.

·
Registered
165 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
I suggested that Electra name for a Voltec Buick to Bob Lutz last summer at the 100th. Chevrolet celebration. He didn't like it. What ever happened to the rumor that BMW was going to purchase Voltec drive units for their 3 series cars???

·
8,680 Posts
I suggested that Electra name for a Voltec Buick to Bob Lutz last summer at the 100th. Chevrolet celebration. He didn't like it. What ever happened to the rumor that BMW was going to purchase Voltec drive units for their 3 series cars???
They purchased Frank Weber instead, and put him in charge of developing the i3 drive system (among other things, I believe.) :)

·
Registered
208 Posts
I am surprised Buick had to trademark it - I would have thought they would have kept it all along. My dad had a 1970 Buick Electra. It was a name of the top or near top of the line Buick sedan. I think buick used it until 1990.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_Electra

I can understand Lutz not liking the name: it's too retro and identified with "old classic car."

·
Registered
791 Posts
I don't know, Buick and the Electra name just makes sense for me if they were to build a Voltec Buick. I really like it! My wife drives an '08 Buick Enclave and that thing has such personality and bold presence only Buick can make without all that bling bling, look at me vehicles you see sometimes.

·
Registered
208 Posts
True, and it is standard practice at just about every company to renew all past product names perpectually. And aggressively. Coca Cola would not want to wake up one morning and discover that "The New Coke" now was the product of a Colombian cartel!

Even forgeting any new EV, I would expect that eventually Buick would bring out a new "Electra" because it of its historical attachment - that seems to be what companies do (Thunderbird, Chrysler 300). It would definately appeal to their target market (old f*rts like me who buy American when they can and fondly remember their Dad's cars).

It's an appealing name for an electric car, too, but maybe Buick should bring it out as a sporty, top-end gas guzzler in order to pay homage to the current Greek tragedy (Electra having been, after all, a character in a Greek tragedy) - it could be offered with a special financing package: ("Don't worry about the payments or how you can afford the gas, just sign on the dotted line and let the good times roll!) :)

·
Registered
538 Posts
Since we're digging out crystal balls, I'm gonna go out on a limb with my speculation: The new Buick Electra will be the production version of the Volt MPV5 concept they showed in Asia - a Voltec driven CUV to compete with the C-Max Energi. GM has to know that the CUV is the next logical place to go, unless they leapfrog all the way to a minivan, and making it a Buick with some upscale features will soften the price shock. Buick has already had a few SUV/CUV cars, and it'd give all three of their brands one EREV to point to...

(Personally, I'd rather see an EREV convertible, but I think that'll have a lower priority unfortunately.)
I liked your prediction till you said it was going to China :( We want a EV SUV and briefly talked about going to California to get the RAV4 EV.

Personally, I don't like the name for an all-new technology, but I might adjust in a day or two. There's so many other electricity related names that would be fun and new.

Eh, whatever. Call it Knob and Tube Wiring - just get the EV SUV on the road ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts