GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
This is old news. Search for Buick Velite here on the forum and you will find many posts. One is mine.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Cars are status symbols in China (like the US). One difference is that many Chinese don't buy homes, they live with larger families and buy upscale cars instead. Generalization of course, but it's been said by my Taiwanese associates. The EV market in China is already larger than the US. The really interesting one is the Cadillac CT6 Plug in. Saw it at the Austin Auto Show this weekend. BIG car, expensive, luxury, with a plug. And made in China, since they expect to sell most of them there.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Old news, yet. New picture to me though. Not a fan of the left-hand "Voltec" logo. Much prefer our "Volt" centered on the back.

However, I do like the front grill of the Buick Velite, though.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Trivia - When Chevrolet tried to sell the Volt in China it's MSRP was over $79,000 USD, perhaps $85k in 2017 dollar.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Article states it SUGGESTs it's a re-badge therefore it's an opinion piece...With that being said, high odds that is what it is, a Volt with different fascias and perhaps some other items needed to be street legal in China...MAYBE it might get more features such as a power seat for example...

Another interesting article: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2017/03...es-range-extending-technology-for-new-models/

I see "consists of GM’s EVT variable transmission", GM doesn't use that terminology for the Volt but perhaps it's the same...The official announcement stated a range of 100km which translates to 62 miles, but that is probably on the less strict Chinese testing cycle...

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Trivia - When Chevrolet tried to sell the Volt in China it's MSRP was over $79,000 USD, perhaps $85k in 2017 dollar.
That was because of a 100% tariff because it wasn't built in China. And also, it wasn't allowed to have any government discounts or subsidies. Ah, free trade...

·
Registered
13,625 Posts
That was because of a 100% tariff because it wasn't built in China. And also, it wasn't allowed to have any government discounts or subsidies. Ah, free trade...
I wonder how well the cheap Chinese crap at Walmart would sell if it had a 100% tariff?

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
However, I do like the front grill of the Buick Velite, though.
Velite gets a better front end. Ampera gets a better front end... Am I just bitter? Maybe. I like Ampera's stock wheels better than the old paddlewheels too.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Perhaps I missed it, but is the Velite to be made here and exported? If so, this is a very huge lease on life for continuation of the Volt as we know it. I plan to buy Volts until battery range is 500 mi. or more......

·
Registered
354 Posts
Could be a fun grill and badge job to Buick-ize the volt. As somebody cleverly pointed out in the last thread- GM chose not to revive the Electra name.

·
Registered
13,625 Posts
Perhaps I missed it, but is the Velite to be made here and exported? If so, this is a very huge lease on life for continuation of the Volt as we know it. I plan to buy Volts until battery range is 500 mi. or more......
I predict the volt with the Voltec drivetrain will be discontinued far in advance of the 500 mile ev range vehicle. As much as I love my volt, it's just an interim vehicle for me until a proper long range ev becomes affordable.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
EREV tech is going to be the only realistic way in the next few years to have very 'green' pickups and large SUVs, especially if needed for towing occasionally. It would be terrible engineering to pack 2500 lb of battery on board or have 2 hour DCFC sessions.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
A very well respected EV journalist, (Jay Cole) said in an insideev story in the comment section that the car will be built in china for china which makes sense since China requires PHEVs/EVs to be built in China to qualify for incentives in addition to them charging huge tariffs in not built in China...

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I predict the volt with the Voltec drivetrain will be discontinued far in advance of the 500 mile ev range vehicle. As much as I love my volt, it's just an interim vehicle for me until a proper long range ev becomes affordable.
The Voltec has many uses if you're an outdoor enthusiast like our family. If there's a Voltec SUV's or Crossovers and you can access the gen set on demand to supply you with household electricity in your camping site, that would be super! In times of natural calamities, the Voltec would be the most versatile vehicle to own if you can access its gen set.

·
Registered
13,625 Posts
The Voltec has many uses if you're an outdoor enthusiast like our family. If there's a Voltec SUV's or Crossovers and you can access the gen set on demand to supply you with household electricity in your camping site, that would be super! In times of natural calamities, the Voltec would be the most versatile vehicle to own if you can access its gen set.
If they make a Voltec Subyukonade, I'm all in.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts