GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Interesting article at InsideEVs.com. Looks like someone participating in a focus group has some info about a new Buick vehicle. http://insideevs.com/exclusive-next-gm-ev-to-be-bolt-based-buick-crossover/ All those complaining about styling and power seats may not have much to complain about anymore. Well, I guess there is always the supercharging network!

FYI we got this same type of report before the Bolt EV was announced so the release date may be out there a bit.

·
Administrator
19,968 Posts
Perhaps a rebadge treatment with new sheet metal and interior won't take 4 years to execute.

If the price difference is truly only $3k more, I can see a demand for those wanting new, power seats and a dash they can massage and caress while driving. :) With no mention of ACC there will still be complaints GM failed. Sounds like it would still be about the size of the Bolt, but perhaps 3 inches or so longer. I suspect that's still not long enough to match some ego's, haha.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Perhaps a rebadge treatment with new sheet metal and interior won't take 4 years to execute.

If the price difference is truly only $3k more, I can see a demand for those wanting new, power seats and a dash they can massage and caress while driving. :) With no mention of ACC there will still be complaints GM failed. Sounds like it would still be about the size of the Bolt, but perhaps 3 inches or so longer. I suspect that's still not long enough to match some ego's, haha.
I think this pretty much solidifies my belief that no Chevy plug-in will ever have power seats (or a moon roof). Those feature sets will be reserved for Buick or Caddy.

Another plug-in offering is always a plus.

·
Registered
433 Posts
PLEASE add a moonroof! OMGggggggggggggggg. LOL woooooo...

·
Administrator
19,968 Posts
PLEASE add a moonroof! OMGggggggggggggggg. LOL woooooo...
Yes, saw that in the comments. People want AWD, moon roof, power seats, and make it a convertible and truck while they are at it. And 20 feet long. And recharge in 5 minutes and 500 mile range, and priced at $35k.

No matter what, it will never be good enough. :)

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Yes, saw that in the comments. People want AWD, moon roof, power seats, and make it a convertible and truck while they are at it. And 20 feet long. And recharge in 5 minutes and 500 mile range, and priced at $35k.

Don't forget the 10k pound towing capacity.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts

The Bolt is built on an entirely new EV platform. The design work is already complete IMHO.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
The fact that casual viewers didn't realize it's the same car underneath is good for Buick.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Ha ha no doubt! I don't really care about AWD, but seriously, moonroof and power seats and I'm sold on the Bolt or this new Buick CUV.

·
Administrator
19,968 Posts
The Bolt is built on an entirely new EV platform. The design work is already complete IMHO.
That's my thought as well.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
.... but perhaps 3 inches or so longer. I suspect that's still not long enough to match some ego's, haha.
Surprised to see moderators comparing lengths on this forum.

If the Buick looks anything like an SUV at only $3K more, I'm in (after abysmal sales and heavy discounts that follow). But my guess is that if a CUV comes with optional AWD, this might sell like hotcakes and I might have to pay close to MSRP for the first time in my life. It's still a far cry from the 224.4 inch Voltec or Boltec Subyukonade that I really want (maybe it's my ego Steverino was referring to?)

Don't forget the 10k pound towing capacity.
.... and seat eight!

Yup, describing me to a tee.... except a Voltec Subyukonade would be good enough for me. Seating for 7 would suffice.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wonder what the range will be? My guess is heavier suspension and perhaps other added weight it might end up around 215 miles?
I would guess that's about right. Likely over 200 miles. More than the weight would be the higher stance making the vehicle less aerodynamic. There is a reason why GM hasn't been enthusiastic about electric CUVs/SUVs.

If the Buick looks anything like an SUV at only $3K more, I'm in (after abysmal sales and heavy discounts that follow). But my guess is that if a CUV comes with optional AWD, this might sell like hotcakes and I might have to pay close to MSRP for the first time in my life.
A FWD electric should handily outperform an AWD ICE. Even a RWD electric should do that. AWD in an electric is more about acceleration than handling, and it's hard to see this CUV being "that vehicle".

I also think the days of fire sales are over at GM. Maybe at the end of a model year when you either have a new generation or the model is being discontinued, but that's about it.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
I also think the days of fire sales are over at GM. Maybe at the end of a model year when you either have a new generation or the model is being discontinued, but that's about it.
I'm confused. Isn't the end of model year sale technically a fire sale? An what would you call the current $17% off sale for all Silverado 1500s? The deals will always be out there because GM has had this pattern of selling a bunch of vehicles near MSRP for most of the year, then offering end of year incentives to move vehicles in order to make room for more.

In my zip code every Chevy except the Bolt, Vette, SS, and a bunch of cargo vans have incentives

http://www.chevrolet.com/current-deals

And the incentives change week to week, month to month. It's a tangled web that GM weaves as everyone has gotten used to shopping for deals, and nobody expects to pay MSRP. Tesla is able to command their 1 price policy much like GM used to with Saturns. GM could choose to have a one price policy across their entire dealer network, but that would probably hurt profits more than help it as people are alway buying sooner than they need to because they thought they had a deal.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm confused. Isn't the end of model year sale technically a fire sale? An what would you call the current $17% off sale for all Silverado 1500s?
There are two requirements. End of model year AND a new generation of phase out. So the ATS and CTS when those models are ending or the left over first generation Volts after the current generation was released. IOW closeouts of the closeouts.

Maybe it's because I came from luxury brands, but 17% doesn't seem atypical for the end of a model year. Where I am Bolts are close to 17% off. So no, I don't consider that to be a fire sale. More just an average end of model year adjustment.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
There are two requirements. End of model year AND a new generation of phase out. So the ATS and CTS when those models are ending or the left over first generation Volts after the current generation was released. IOW closeouts of the closeouts.

Maybe it's because I came from luxury brands, but 17% doesn't seem atypical for the end of a model year. Where I am Bolts are close to 17% off. So no, I don't consider that to be a fire sale. More just an average end of model year adjustment.
Agreed, I though I had the deal of the decade, but in 2015 other Volt buyers were able to do better when G2s arrive. Similarly, my new CTS was about 30% off MSRP. That was a 2004 model purchase in March 2005 with all sorts of extra GM incentives.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
This car would be the smartest thing GM has done since the original Volt. The Bolt is just a bit too cheesy to effectively compete with the Tesla Model 3, nor is it any wonder to behold. A more upscale, better looking version with the feature set fleshed out, and from a nameplate that's sort of catching on for entry-level luxury is pretty much exactly what's needed. And it dovetails with the whole China thing, where Buick sells big and EV is the major trend. Now, I wonder where they'll build it?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts