GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there,

i've tracked a litte bug in the software controlling the front light of my Opel Ampera. My question is, if there is the same problem with the Volt (same software I think) !?

For reproducing the bug:

1. it has to be dark, light control has to be set on "auto"
2. Unlock the Volt/Ampera remotely with the key, the light turns on
3. Start the car immediateliy ( the light has still to be on at this action ), the light turns now turns off and on.
4. see the right front LED, it's still off.

Here a little video to see this problem (voice is in german)

·
Registered
506 Posts
You may have different software rev for Europe then b/c when our headlights are on our DRL LED's go off.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Translation of the voice-over of the video...

Hello together, now I'll demonstrate how this bug here of the light system looks like. I'll turn on the Ampera, it's standing in the dark.

Here you see the LED is still shining.

This one here too. Quickly inside... turning on... it briefly goes off and on again... now it's running... now I'll go out again...

You see here, the left one lights up... and the right one doesn't.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Don't have my volt to test.. but I'm with top-speed our DLRs go off.. so the bug may be that one of your's is staying on.. does it Ever go off?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've also experienced this with my Ampera :
If the car detects a sufficient ambient light, it implies it's daytime and you can't stop the DRL, even if you de-activate automatic lighting by selecting the Light OFF position.
If the car implies it's night time, if you select the Light OFF position, all the exterior lights (including DRL) go off.

In the same stream, the night/day backlight switching is linked with car's ambient light detection and not with exterior lamp control. I find this a bit weird.

I'll check if there's your thing on mine.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
If the car detects a sufficient ambient light, it implies it's daytime and you can't stop the DRL, even if you de-activate automatic lighting by selecting the Light OFF position.
This is different than the US Volt, where switching the light position to OFF turns off the DRLs even in daylight. While I believe many states require DRLs, not all do. So I guess that's why.

I think I heard Canada requires DRLs during the day. Any Canadian friends want to weigh in? Can you turn off your DRLs during the day like US Volts, or are they always on during the day like the Ampera?

In the same stream, the night/day backlight switching is linked with car's ambient light detection and not with exterior lamp control.
The US Volt is the same way, and it can be annoying with the NAV system when it switches to night while there's still a fair amount of ambient light.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi Nie-Mehr-Benzin,
I've tried to reproduce your problem with my car but I didn't manage to : my right front LED is on.

But I experimented something odd this evening.
I had started the car to use the air compressor to fill the tires of a friend's bike (headlight switch was on AUTO position). Once it was finished, as I was in a hurry, I just laid the compressor on a rear seat, switched the car off from the right front door, closed this door, took a bad in the boot, made sure all the doors were closed, then I locked the car.
I noticed that center console backlight and headlights were on, but I assumed this was linked with the follow me home function and I went away.
15 minutes later, a friend that was arriving told me that my headlight were on. I ran to the car to check, and they were! I unlocked the car, checked the car was off and the headlight switch on AUTO position, they were. I turned the headlight switch to off, it came back to AUTO and the headlights went off.
I thanked my friend.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
How about this for a work around: Carry a flashlight in the car and shine it on the sensor just before starting the car so the car thinks it's light outside.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts