GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use any bug deflector on your volt hood? I looked up online. It seems (at least I can't find it) they haven't made one for gen2 volts.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
A deflector would reduce the aerodynamics of the Volt, efficiency when running on battery and/or gas would be negatively affected.

·
Banned
154 Posts
I had X-Pel clear paint protectent film done on the whole hood, front, partial quarter-panels, mirrors, A-pillars and roof leading edge.
Not cheap, but I hate having paint chips and digs. Turned out great.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had X-Pel clear paint protectent film done on the whole hood, front, partial quarter-panels, mirrors, A-pillars and roof leading edge.
Not cheap, but I hate having paint chips and digs. Turned out great.
3M makes a adhesive film (that's professionally cut/installed) as well. I haven't put it on my volt yet, but I'm seriously considering it.

I did it extensive on my previous car ('10 golf), I think it cost ~$700 CAD or so, but it was worth it. I wish I had done it off the dealer lot (I had done it a month or two later, after getting several chips, as the sales person at the dealership had sold me on "the paint is so good on these, you won't want/benefit from it!", he was very wrong).

I think $700 got the first 1/4 of the hood, the front bumper/lights/etc., ~12" of the top/hood, the mirrors (maybe?), and a piece for the rear bumper/where you'd rub stuff going in/out of the trunk (*SUPER* handy there).

·
Administrator
20,339 Posts
I have the 3M clear bra film on my Volt and the Xpel on my Bolt. Having both, the 3M is my preference. The Xpel is thin and more fragile compared to the 3M. After only 1 year and 15k miles, the XPel on my Bolt is way more damaged (ripped, bug impact blemishes , pebble "holed") than the 3M on my Volt after 7 years and 97k miles.

I will demand the 3M product the next time.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have the 3M clear bra film on my Volt and the Xpel on my Bolt. Having both, the 3M is my preference. The Xpel is thin and more fragile compared to the 3M. After only 1 year and 15k miles, the XPel on my Bolt is way more damaged (ripped, bug impact blemishes , pebble "holed") than the 3M on my Volt after 7 years and 97k miles.

I will demand the 3M product the next time.
+1 on the 3M product.

There is a Scotchgard and Scotchgard Pro which I believe is a bit thicker than the standard Scotchgard. I have the Pro and it is excellent. Not too terrible to install yourself either if you have a bit of patience and enjoy that sort of thing. They have custom pre-cut kits on eBay for a couple hundred bucks that cover almost the entire front end.

·
Banned
154 Posts
Both companies have upped their game and improved their products recently. Xpel now has their Ultimate film, which is thicker too.
That's what I got. It tuned out much nicer in texture and sheen and finish, looking like a freshly polished car, than the 3M product I had done 11 years ago on another car (very orange-peel texture). Online reviews seem to go either way, a lot depends on install, etc.
Main thing is, do something, so that new car paint doesn't get sand-blasted off ! :)

·
Registered
371 Posts
I had 3M professionally installed on our '17 Volt when we got it and have only one small tear in it where a major rock must've hit it. The rock didn't damage the paint though and 2+ years now, it still looks great. I'll certainly have it done on any new cars in the future.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
+1 on the 3M product.

There is a Scotchgard and Scotchgard Pro which I believe is a bit thicker than the standard Scotchgard. I have the Pro and it is excellent. Not too terrible to install yourself either if you have a bit of patience and enjoy that sort of thing. They have custom pre-cut kits on eBay for a couple hundred bucks that cover almost the entire front end.
I just looked up Scotchgard Pro on ebay; But i am surprised one seller is selling for 370 and the other is selling for 175. Both says Scotchgard Pro. How much did you spend?

And how hard was it to install it yourself? I saw some videos--it looks like it requires a lot of patience to spray the liquid and get the bubbles out, etc.

·
Administrator
20,339 Posts
And how hard was it to install it yourself? I saw some videos--it looks like it requires a lot of patience to spray the liquid and get the bubbles out, etc.
It took 2 guys three hours to do my Volt and they do this day in day out for a living.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I just looked up Scotchgard Pro on ebay; But i am surprised one seller is selling for 370 and the other is selling for 175. Both says Scotchgard Pro. How much did you spend?

There is quite a range of price on the kits. Try to compare exactly which areas the kits cover - some include the mirror caps, headlights, etc. Also, try to compare how far up the hood the material covers - 12", 18" etc. Also watch out for Pro vs non-Pro Scotchgard.

Some areas are pretty easy to do like the hood because they are pretty flat. Other areas like the mirror caps are tougher because you have to tack and stretch the material around curves. There are tons of youtube videos on how to do it that helped me a lot. It's mostly patience and you will get the hang of it. I put some on simple areas first like my door sills to get the hang of it. Also make sure to get the yellow squeegee tool as well as spray bottles for the alcohol and baby shampoo (yes really). Follow 3Ms instructions to the tee about application.

The front of the car is complex but the kit makes it easier since you don't have to cut anything (you may have to cut little holes for the parking sensors). Having an assistant and a clean environment is helpful. Peeling the material off the backing is the toughest part because it is so easy for it to stick to itself and get ruined. I actually bought a big wide piece and did my own cuts with a razor blade. Cheaper but not for the faint of heart because you MUST stay away from the paint because it would be totally possible to slice the finish if you're not careful. If I had to do it over again I'd get the kit as I think it'd be much less stressful. I plan to replace it in a couple of years since I'm worried it could be tough to remove if it ever hardens or something. Overall, I am very happy with the results (people can't even tell it's there even up close) and the money I saved doing it myself. I am sure a pro would do a better job but I don't think it's be $500 better or anything.

Hope that helps and good luck!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There is quite a range of price on the kits. Try to compare exactly which areas the kits cover - some include the mirror caps, headlights, etc. Also, try to compare how far up the hood the material covers - 12", 18" etc. Also watch out for Pro vs non-Pro Scotchgard.

Some areas are pretty easy to do like the hood because they are pretty flat. Other areas like the mirror caps are tougher because you have to tack and stretch the material around curves. There are tons of youtube videos on how to do it that helped me a lot. It's mostly patience and you will get the hang of it. I put some on simple areas first like my door sills to get the hang of it. Also make sure to get the yellow squeegee tool as well as spray bottles for the alcohol and baby shampoo (yes really). Follow 3Ms instructions to the tee about application.

The front of the car is complex but the kit makes it easier since you don't have to cut anything (you may have to cut little holes for the parking sensors). Having an assistant and a clean environment is helpful. Peeling the material off the backing is the toughest part because it is so easy for it to stick to itself and get ruined. I actually bought a big wide piece and did my own cuts with a razor blade. Cheaper but not for the faint of heart because you MUST stay away from the paint because it would be totally possible to slice the finish if you're not careful. If I had to do it over again I'd get the kit as I think it'd be much less stressful. I plan to replace it in a couple of years since I'm worried it could be tough to remove if it ever hardens or something. Overall, I am very happy with the results (people can't even tell it's there even up close) and the money I saved doing it myself. I am sure a pro would do a better job but I don't think it's be $500 better or anything.

Hope that helps and good luck!
Cool. Thanks for the info and tips!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Most detail shops offer either XPel or 3M films for paint protection. You can buy the "minimal" job with just a film for the front half of the hood and mirrors or a more expensive version for the entire front end. I had the first done and it cost around $350; the latter was around $550. Another good idea is XPel headlight covers to prevent sandblasting of the headlights. Finally, you can protect the lower plastic bumper cover with a DIY Clear spray PlasitiDip with a Gloss overspray. They are all highly recommended and they do work without affecting your aerodynamics.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts